Have you ever loved a gun but just couldn't shoot it worth a darn?

David the Gnome

I love my German SIG P226 more than just about any other gun I own. I wanted it desperately to be my go-to gun and the one I would grab above all others in the event of an emergency. Sadly I just can't shoot it worth a darn. I don't know what it is about it but I just can't make it work for me like my other guns do (even my other SIGs). :(

Has anyone else ever shared this particular malady? Please share your thoughts on that gun that you loved to death but just couldn't make work for you.

solvability

I have a Ruger Redhawk that is everything it should be in a hunting revolver - I just cannot get a grip on it to shoot it - would just as soon try to hold and aim a toaster oven. A SW 629 on the other hand - fits to perfection - I still cannot make myself sell the Redhawk:confused:

MC 1911

Wilson CQB Compact Lightweight. Loved the gun but just couldn't shoot it worth a damn. I like a heavy gun so I sold it and got #20 of 100 Classic Centennial. :D

predecessor

Love the NAA Mini Revolver for it's size and weight but just couldn't get any kind of tight grouping out of it so I upgraded to the Black Widow and I get acceptable groupings out of it considering the size. Just wish it was a little smaller and lighter.

Kreyzhorse

My Glock 22. It was my first semi handgun and I really like the gun. It's accurate and reliable so long as I'm not the one shooting it. My buds shoot it well but I am terrible with it.

While I'm not super accurate with it, it is my bed side gun and I have total faith in it.

tahunua001

not really, eventually if I cant hit anything with it I eventually learn to hate a gun. my brother had a khar 40 that I couldn't hit within 5 feet of a 6" target at 35 feet, I could pick up his 22/45 and hit that same target at the same range 9 out of 10 times. I eventually just decided to stop shooting it... and I'm fairly good with glocks and xdms too so I'm sure it's not a flinch deal

ExMP

Ruger P89DC.

I bought it as my first automatic pistol, and felt totally badass. My brother picked up the Taurus Beretta 92F. We went to the range and I was all "Imma gonna whup you boy!" (yea, was born/raised near W. Virginia). He destroyed me.

I had a great group...if a barn door counts as a group. We traded pistols and at 30' I shot a 2.5" group....he put all of his (from my pistol) in under 2". We traded back, and, well, I hit the paper. I sold it and broke even about 2 weeks later.

Thankfully, I smoke him with a revolver.

insaneranger

I had a Super Redhawk, but I just couldn't get a feel for it no matter how much I liked it so I traded it off for a SIG P229. Now I'm hitting bullseys.

orionengnr

S&W J-frames. Owned about a half dozen, never shot any of them to what I considered an acceptable degree of accuracy...probably because most of them were Scandium .357 Magnum revolvers.

I know some can shoot them well, but I am not among them. :)

Okay, to keep it in the semi-auto forum....no, not really. There are some I shoot a whole lot better than others, bot none that compare with a .357 J-Mag.

Shadi Khalil

For the longest time it was Kahr semi autos or pretty any DAO auto. I found it too be quite vexing considering I can shoot a DAO revolver pretty darn well. This became a bigger problem for me when I found out the Sig 239 was just about the perfect handgun (for me) but had a DA first pull. Well, I bought the Sig anyways and worked out a system to get over my long DA pull problem. At the range I'd go through a box of ammo decocking after each shot. Sure it was boring but after a couple of range sessions I became quite proficient with the DA pull on a semi. After no time I could shoot my Kahrs with no problems. The moral of this long winded story? you guessed it,practice. Give it some time and you'll begin to realize why the 226 is held in such high regard by you and so many others.

Good luck.

Sent via Android

Last edited:

WVsig

CZ 75B it was not that I could not shoot it I just always found myself adjusting my grip and creating bad habits.

I shot it as poorly as I shoot the rest of my guns.... :p

bikerbill

My Smith 637 ... granted, I don't practice with it as much as I perhaps should ... but I simply can not shoot accurately with it, tho I do very well with other small handguns, like my EDC Kahr PM9 ... I got the j-frame as another option for carry, but since I'd have to be two feet or less from the BG in order to be sure I'd hit him, it stays on the shelf ...

Super X1:( I had a beautiful trap gun with the 30"VRF and 26VRF no screw barrels slab side reciever, montecarlo stock, wide forend, and type 3 trigger. This thing was mint and cost me 1000$. I didn't shoot it the best, but I put 400rnds through it which was enough to determine; it kicks shells 4 times farther than a Benelli, even with a limbsaver it recoils more than a Benelli, parts would be a problem, and it was much harder to strip/clean/replace parts. I was so sad to let her go, but I traded for a cordoba with all 3 100$ comb pads. I really prefer the cordoba. ;)

FM12

ANY Sig. Just dont do well with them. Have owned half a dozen, never shoot well with any.

Love 'em though. My current duty weapon is a 226/40S&W.

Never had a failure of any type. 100% reliable, as they should be.