Have you ever hidden money in a holster?

johnbt

You know the old jokes about boxes of old holsters that didn't work out or drawers of holsters for guns you don't have anymore? I have all those too. But the one holster that's been sitting in the safe for a few years is only there because I'm lazy and it fits under the small guns in one of the wire handgun racks.

I was packing the car last Sunday morning for a week at Nags Head and decided to leave my Rohrbaugh at home and take the 442. I've carried the R9 for 4.5 years and can't remember the last time I used the 442 for pocket carry. Okay, now we're back to the part about the one holster in the safe.

I put the R9 away, grabbed the 442, loaded it, grabbed a box of ammo, and when I picked up the holster I found $400 in it; crisp hundreds. I still can't remember when I stashed it, but now I have to go round up all the holsters in the house and search them. :)

The weather was pretty nice mid-week. It was warm enough to surf fish in just shorts in knee-deep water. The fishing was slow, even though it never rained.

John

aarondhgraham

Woohoo!,,, Found Money!,,,,,

I almost peed my pants when I found $20.00 in a shirt pocket,,,

If I ever found $400.00,,,
My heart would probably stop.

Have fun deciding how to spend it.

Might be time to build up some more good karma,,,
Perhaps the significant other could use a gift.

Just a thought.

Aarond

jglsprings

Were they the old 100 dollar bills - I gave those for you to hold, remember??

- LOL!

I love found money! It always seems to turn up at the best moments for me. Enjoy it!

old bear

Nothing quite like finding some cash you had forgotten about, $40.00 or $400.00 it's a treat:). The Outer banks are usually nice this time of the year, and never to crowded with cool mornings/evenings and warm days.

45Gunner

Happiness if finding money you forgot about. However, I keep a separate box in my safe for my money so I know where it is at all times. I do the same for jewelry and important papers.

Guns and magazines in the gun rack. Money and jewels in a special box. Important papers in yet another box. Each one "fireproof" so that it will add more protection in case my house decides to blow itself up one day.

Doyle

When I was a kid, I used to read all the outdoor magazines. I remember one magazine running a story about a man that hid $500 in one of the barrels of his SxS hunting shotgun. He forgot all about it being there until the day he went quail hunting and fired his first shot.

Deja vu

I found a $50.00 one time in a book that I read as a teenager. That was the most I have ever found.

How awesome would it be to find $400.00

I know someone who, for whatever reason, put a couple of $20s in the barrel of one of his shotguns.

Forgot about it, and turned it into confetti at the range.

johnbt

That's funny, hiding folding money in a shotgun barrel. I've never known anyone who did that. I might try shooting a dollar to two for the heck of it in my 28 ga.

In all honesty, I'm not surprised I misplaced $400. Once my folks moved to The Home, my father insisted on reimbursing me for incidentals (snacks and walkers, scooters, hearing aids, batteries Depends, etc.) They wanted to pay their own way and could afford it. He quickly decided that tracking expenses and reimbursing was a pain and just wrote me a monthly check for $500 for a couple of years and then made it $600 to cover the higher cost of 300 miles of gas every week and the escalating restaurant meals. I always cashed them.

I never thought having too much money around could be such a pain. Starting in 1/07 when my father requested that I move them to a nursing home, I've been juggling my money and their 3 check books, CDs at 6 banks/credit unions, IRAs, etc., plus all of the assorted medical payments and insurance nonsense. And I did their taxes. And dealing with the trust that my late aunt and uncle left for my mother's care for Alzheimer's. Can you say IRS form K-1?

I know, too much info, but I'm really not too surprised I misplaced $400. Maybe I should search the other safe, too. The one that's full of his guns and his lock box and his fire proof document storage.

In 4.5 years I missed 7 Fridays of having lunch with my father either at the restaurant or taking the food to him. Mom is hand fed a special diet and hasn't known me for 5 years.

My father was 89 when he died 8/3, so I figure the $400 is belated gift.

Or it could be winnings from the poker games I play in that have $200 buy-ins.

Bottom line, finding $400 still made me grin.

"I always hide a $100 bill way inside my bilfold."

When I left for college in 1968 my father gave me a twenty for emergencies. He even asked to see it once or twice later on. Now I carry $200 tucked away with my fishing & hunting licenses.

John

I never got the full story, but he liked doing little side wagers.

My guess is that he did some wagering on a couple of rounds of trap, won, and stuck the money in the shotgun to hide it from the Mrs.

My speculation only.

My other speculation is that he was just an idiot.

I don't carry too much cash with me at any one time, but since September 11 I've gotten into the habit of keeping upwards $1k in the house in case I have to bail out.

I used to keep it hidden, but now I keep it in the gunsafe along with the gun and ammo that will go into the travel bag.

briandg

no. I once hid $100 bills inside 30-06 cases.

Took fired rounds, pulled the decapping pin, sized the neck down, and inserted FMJ bullets. Stuck 1 bill in each, total of 5. tossed them loose into a drawer in my workshop.

I had enough cash to work myself out of a real tight situation that would have taken a lot of effort to retrieve, and would never in a million years be found and stolen. They'd clean out the house, but never take a handful of rusty old bullets out of a drawer full of screwdrivers.

gyvel

I once hid some bills in a zipper pouch with an unfired Browning pistol. Several months later, when I happened to check on the gun, I found that the bills had "grown" into the steel on the pistol. Made me sick.:(

DaleA

I’ve heard tell that at the end of boot camp a dollar bill in the chamber of your rifle might convince the arms room NCO that your rifle was ‘clean enough’ to turn in.

If I ever found twenty bucks or more in a pants pocket or holster I just have to wonder whose pants or holster I had got a hold of.

(PS for the grammar police I know a preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.)