Have you ever had a magazine eject accidentally?

I shoot and carry semi-automatic pistols on a regular basis and have...

• ...never had a mag eject/partially eject unless I intentionally activated the release.

Votes: 49 51.6%
  • ...rarely had a mag eject/partially eject when I didn’t mean to activate the release.

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • ...often had a mag eject/partially eject when I didn’t mean to activate the release.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • ...urgently needed to deactivate the pistol immediately and used the mag release for that purpose.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnKSa

Administrator
The discussion about the virtues of drop free mags vs. the philosophy that engendered magazine brakes comes up from time to time.

I thought it might be interesting to see if we could get some numbers to go along with the discussion.

PLEASE READ THE POLL QUESTION/OPTIONS CAREFULLY.

SELECT ALL OPTIONS THAT APPLY.

hoytinak

Had a mag drop out on me once during firing with a Glock 23. It was the 4th or 5th round in the mag and I'm still not sure how I managed to hit the mag release.

PSP

My pocket gun, a Seecamp, had the mag popped loose while in my pocket and holstered once. :eek:

A used PPK/S dropped a mag a couple times then never again. Might have been me at fault, I don't know for sure. :eek:

That's it in 40 years of shooting handguns, 34 years of carrying one. That ain't bad.:D

David the Gnome

I had a Taurus PT111 Mil Pro that I couldn't shoot without accidentally hitting the magazine release. I guess that counts? I'm not sure I really understand the question you're trying to ask.

mrt949

BERETTA 21A . in my pocket .UNCLE MIKES holster was the problem .Now i carry a seecamp no problems .:D

tjhands

My Ruger LCP, in a back pocket wallet holster had the mag partially ejected from me squatting down a number of time during the day.

That was the ONLY time.

Hkmp5sd

I've had it happen a few times in the last 20+ years of carrying. It has always happened with pocket carry. It has never happened with a belt holster and it has never happened while shooting or handling the firearm.

AK103K

The only gun I've had the problem with, was a HK P7M13. My seat belt used to release it while driving, and I'd find the mag on the seat, or it would hit the ground when I got out.

Probably more of a holster problem, as there were only a couple of people making them then, and neither covered or protected the mag release.

BurkGlocker

Had a Taurus PT24/7 in 9mm, and the mag would drop out while shooting. I thought it was because I was hitting the release, but the mag would drop even if I didnt hit the release. I got rid of that gun quick...

It has really only happened with my Colt .380's in my Bianchi IWB leather holster. The holster just hits on the release. I dug out a little hole which seems to have fixed the problem. They didn't EJECT fully. They just released and would have fallen when I drew the the weapon or at least not fed the next round.

rantingredneck

I've never accidently hit the mag release and dropped a mag, or had one drop due to mechanical failure.

However, when I first got my P345 the first couple of range trips I had to figure out where to put my monkey thumbs. I kept hitting the slide stop and locking the slide back mid-mag. :eek:

Chindo18Z

Not sure where this one would go in the poll...maybe rarely accidental ejection?

I had the magazine of my Walther PPK/S ejected during a ground fight when my body weight slammed the magazine release against a car body. The mag went flying under an automobile and was unrecoverable until the fight was over.

It wasn't an intentional eject and I certainly didn't want to lose it at the time (as I was considering shooting the guy I was tussling with).

I personally fall into the category of those who dislike magazine disconnectors.

I do however see them as a viable insurance policy for LEO who go from interview posture to grappling match on a more routine basis.

Tony C

My Fault...

Once in my 1911 and once in my XD, didn't seat the mag fully. No fault of the firearm.

Tony

Shadi Khalil

I've done it once during a class. It was the first time I had ever fired a handgun from a draw (Sig 239) and I felt real stupid. I also had it happen to me while firing my CW9 for the first time. That time I had ejected the mag on accident while firing the gun. The mag is drop free but did not fall to the ground like the time in my class. Although I have had it happend to me twice I'm still all for the drop free mags.

mgdavis

My Kimber Custom CDP II. The extended magazine release button was apparently depressed while in the holster as I was carrying it, allowing the magazine to back off just far enough to escape the catch. I can't remember what holster it was anymore, but I suspect it was one of my Blackhawk CQC holsters.

I pulled the pistol and holster off my belt at the end of the day and noticed that I was essentially carrying a single-shot. Not a good feeling.

Dabull

Mag slipped out 1/4" when using a Ramline 17 rounder in a Taurus PT99. I determined it was a faulty design of the Ramline.

The Ramline uses a constant force spring, which looks like a flat spring that extends the length of the magazine tube, but rolls up around a wheel when compressed by mag loading. After firing "X" number of rounds, the flat spring would be unrolling (traveling up the magazine tube as the mag empties) and soon press against the magazine release cutout on the magazine. The force of recoil would allow the flat spring to disengage the mag release and leave the mag to drop.

Ramlines may be ok with autos that use small mag release cutouts (Beretta, Sig) or ones located away from the unrolling flat spring (Ruger, BHP), but I don't recommend them for Taurus.

Kyo

when i carry my p345 sometimes the mag release button gets pushed when im in the car. just click it back in