Have You Ever Done This?

Single Six

That is, have you ever tried the old Hollywood stunt of holding a handgun in each hand and simultaneously firing both at once? Let me go ahead and clarify that I've never done it, and have no intentions to...it strikes me as foolish, about on a par with holding your handgun sideways, and seems like it would be pretty hard to get consistent, accurate hits. That disclaimer aside: Have you ever done it or seen it done, and if so, what were the results?

Crazy88Fingers

I had my six-shooter in my right hand, and a Glock in my left. The shooting with the S&W wasn't bad. But the Glock was all over the place and kept jamming (weak hand, light gun, limp wrist, etc.). I've also tried shooting a Glock sideways.

The accuracy results in both experiments were about what you'd expect. :D

kadima

I did it with two C&B 1858 Remmies.
Very cool looking, results on the target are nothing you'd brag about...

Same for shooting a semiauto sideways à la drug dealer.

Some things have to be done once. But never twice.

K.

Dr. Strangelove

It's called "Dual Wielding", for proper style points, you should have two identical firearms, and preferably be the lead character in a movie or comic book.

The "Lead Farmer" scene in "Tropic Thunder" is a great example.

I've done it a time or two when I was much younger, it was a blast.

I don't see a safety issue, as long as you can control the weapon in your weak hand, but it is the type of thing that will get you kicked off a range real quick. Something best left for movies and video games...

CWKahrFan

Yeah, I've done it outdoors on private land target shooting against a berm. It's a lot of fun and is, to me, reasonable warrior behavior. Just like with any ambidexterous tools... eye-hand coordination gets better with practice.

TNT

kind of like "Last Man Standing" I tried it a few times with semi autos but never had the impeccable accuracy:cool: it was fun just to try it. I think it would be harder with single action revolvers.

Savage32-20

I've seen this a couple of times in various movies. Most of the ones i've seen it done in however are with one or two people taking on a swarm of 20 or 30 others.

In this instance the accuracy may not be as much of a deterrent as in a single 1 on 1 type of situation. Since just sending more lead at them will have them ducking behind things, and you'll of course have a stray that hits someone.

Being a re-enactor of Revolutionary war many years ago I learned that muskets (the ones used during rev war time period not including the rifles which were accurate) were not very accurate at long range (being at the time more than 30-40 yards) - this is why the brits and american troops fired in a volley style and had tight formations. Rather than sending 1 lead ball down range at your target (which would likely miss) you were sending a wall of lead down range. The more lead, the more likely you would hit your target(s).

This may be some of the motive behind this "Dual Wielding" style of shooting. That and it looks good for movies!

griz

SASS (the cowboy shooters) have a "gunfighter" class where the two single action revolvers are shot with one in each hand. It takes a lot of practice but the tops shooters are very good at it. If you search videos you can find them drawing both guns and firing ten rounds, all hits, in less than two seconds.

Carne Frio

I tried it one time with two Glock M17's.
It was fun but not very accurate. My
friend did it with two 44 magnums and
seemed to enjoy it. His accuracy sucked, too.

aarondhgraham

It's great fun,,,

I've tried it with my rimfire/centerfire pairs on occasion,,,
Not something I would ever try in a serious situation,,,
But anyone who has seen "The Shadow",,,
Has wanted to try it at least once. :D

600px-Shad_15.jpg

With the centerfire in my good right hand,,,
And my rimfire in the other hand,,,
I was able to control the recoil.

Like I said,,,
Great fun but no practicality.

Aarond

P.S. I truly pity those people who are so serious that they can't allow themselves to have fun with their firearms.

Sefner

I've done it once. It's a ton of fun, everyone should do it at least once. Not something I would ever do in earnest but damn is it cool to have them both go off at the same time :D

Single Six

I have to admit, Bruce Willis made it look pretty cool in "Last Man Standing" with his two 1911s...but even though he was using 7 round magazines, so help me he was firing each one at least 30 times before running dry!:rolleyes:

mesinge2

Originally posted by Single Six

I have to admit, Bruce Willis made it look pretty cool in "Last Man Standing" with his two 1911s...but even though he was using 7 round magazines, so help me he was firing each one at least 30 times before running dry!

I still want Arnold's 18-shot 44 magnum from Red Heat!

Japle

When I was in charge of firearms instruction for a USAF wing, I did some demonstrations of two-hand shooting with the S&W M15 revolvers we had.

As I recall, I did the shooting at 7 yds. The trick is to line up the sights on one gun, then shift your eyes to the other and line up those sights. Keep going back and forth until you do the shift and find the sights are still aligned. Then fire both guns immediately.

You can get some pretty decent groups this way.

Stressfire

Pair of 1911s, both highly customized, missed the target entirely - hit alot of trees though.

I can shoot just fine with both hands, just not at once, at least not without practice.