Have FFL transfers gone up?

I guess I just don't like it but whatever.
In my experience, the multiple-handgun report really doesn't amount to anything. If you were picking up 20 cheap pistols a week, it might raise a flag, but that's about it.

I've only had follow-ups from law enforcement a couple of times. In both those cases, there were several other suspicious factors in the mix.

Don P

Thanks for the insight in post #34. I was just curious and maybe it is a blessing that the county I live in would not allow me to obtain the business OK to obtain an FFL due to zoning.

Bullrock

Well, I was just thinking. I'm able to do that still, from time to time. I think that if the Federal Government insists on gun checks, then maybe we should all be charged a flat $10.00 fee, and the feds reimburse the dealers for the rest of their costs. :rolleyes:

apr1775

Some on this thread said their local ffl charges a transfer fee plus a certain percentage sale tax.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but in some cases the ffl charging sales tax could be questionable. If you (customer) were to walk into your local gun shop and ask them to order a particular gun off a website or Shotgun News ad, then you pay the local shop the purchase price; sales tax IS due because a retail sale of a product was just made. Now let's say you make a purchase on GunBroker (or elsewhere) and pay the seller directly, but have the gun shipped to your local gun shop, no retail sale of a product has been made by the local store, they only performed the ffl transfer service. Sales taxes are levied on the retail sale of products (in my state it's only products and not services) and the amount due is base on a percentage of the price paid for the product, and the retailer is liable for payment of the tax to the state. If the store only provided a service but did not sell you a product, no sales tax should be charged. $0.00 X x% = $0.00 Of course the state is not going to openly object to extra tax revenues even if they are not really owed. If your local store is collecting the "tax" and keeping for themselves, they most likely committed a crime. Does anyone on here have experience and knowledge on retail sales tax and have insight to share. I'm not an expert and please keep in mind that I am referring to situations where the purchase price was not paid to the local ffl.

2ndsojourn

Usually (I think), if sales tax is not charged for whatever reason (ie: interstate purchase) then all of us law abiding citizens are supposed to pay our corresponding state a use tax.

We all do, don't we?? ;):rolleyes:

My guy charges $20 for a single transfer $30 if its more than one.
Worked out great for him this week.
I had two guns shipped to him and when i went in to pick them up.
I noticed he had a nice S&W model 10 sitting there. I have been looking for one.
So not only did he get the transfer he got a gun sale and a box of ammo sold.

$50 transfer and my shadow would not even shade his entry way.
Some people will cut off their nose to spite their face.

Having customers come into your shop is never a bad thing no matter what ever got them in.

9x18_Walther

Usually (I think), if sales tax is not charged for whatever reason (ie: interstate purchase) then all of us law abiding citizens are supposed to pay our corresponding state a use tax.

Your state tax return has a spot for that. The number of blank or $0 returns must be astonishing.

gyvel

Sorry, but I think any FFL who is using Federal laws (which are de facto infringements on 2A rights) as a leverage tool to take money from someone who purchases a gun out of state is profiteering.

apr1775

Profiteering?

The root word is "profit". The gun store is a for profit business. I don't expect my local dealers to do free transfers for me, although it would be nice. If he charges more than I am willing to pay, I'll go to a competitor. If they charge a similar fee, that must be the normal market rate. If I still think it's too high, I could go apply for a ffl and open my own business.

I'm sure some the ffl holders on this forum can attest to the business not being as easy as the rest of us think it is.

It was the federal government who violated your 2nd amendment rights back in 1968 with the GCA, not your local ffl holder.