Has the NRA done this to you?

"As I understand it, pennies and nickels are not legal tender. The formerly-silver coins are. Good luck trying to pay for anything substantial using dimes and quarters (or finding that many)"

You don't understand it then.

Why would pennies and nickels not be legal tender (they are), but dimes and quarters wouldn't be (they are) when dimes and quarters are no longer made of silver, and haven't been since 1964 (same date for nickels)?

Oh, and pennies have NEVER been made of silver in the United States.

That's like trying to say that paper bills aren't legal tender because they're no longer backed by an equal quantity of gold.

zxcvbob

"As I understand it, pennies and nickels are not legal tender. The formerly-silver coins are. Good luck trying to pay for anything substantial using dimes and quarters (or finding that many)"

You don't understand it then.

Why would pennies and nickels not be legal tender (they are), but dimes and quarters wouldn't be (they are) when dimes and quarters are no longer made of silver, and haven't been since 1964 (same date for nickels)?

Oh, and pennies have NEVER been made of silver in the United States.

That's like trying to say that paper bills aren't legal tender because they're no longer backed by an equal quantity of gold.
No, it's because I think there's a law that the minor coins (that's pennies and nickels) are not legal tender. Has nothing to do with the silver content, that's just the dividing line.

I will see if I can find it.

Nickels were only made of a silver alloy during WW II. (I don't know why. Maybe the copper was needed for the war effort) You can identify silver nickels by the prominent mint mark on the back.

ETA: The Coinage Acts of 1873 and 1879. But that information is obsolete. This is probably the article I read long ago: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...ticle cites Title 31,cents in any one payment.

Rob228

I haven't renewed my membership in two years. I stopped doing the NRA roundup on Midway too. From the way their "roundup" number has not increased much in the past few weeks I don't think I'm the only one.

ballardw

It's not 'Also call your bank'. It's "Call your Bank!"
"...somehow sign up for automatic renewal..." That can be in the 'small print'.
"...dollars are refused, the debt is void..." That I'd want to see in writing. Means that if you go into your bank with bags of coin to pay a CC bill and they refuse it(which they do or want to charge a fee), the CC debt is void.
Banks aren't good examples of this as they usually have coin counting machines available though may be not in all branches.

Your local utility office is another story.

zxcvbob

Bill, thanks for the heads-up about this. I am a longtime NRA member, but I am letting my membership lapse this month. I don't expect any credit card shenanigans but I will be watching for it now.

44 AMP

Staff
Nickels were only made of a silver alloy during WW II. (I don't know why. Maybe the copper was needed for the war effort) You can identify silver nickels by the prominent mint mark on the back.

Interesting, I had never heard of "silver nickels" before now. And I always thought the reason they were called nickels was because they were made of Nickel...

Nickel was/is a strategic material. It's vital to making certain grades of steel, among other things. It's quite possible that for a brief time, during WWII we did make "silver" nickels, I'm not doubting that, I had just never heard of it, before.

I know that for one year (1943) we made pennies out of "zinc-steel" to conserve copper for the war effort. We did a bunch of things "for the war effort", including outlawing sliced bread.

As to the NRA being able to charge me, I don't see how they could, as they have neither my back account # or any card # of mine.

The fine print in things can be vital, especially in the computer age. There are places that will automatically sign you up for their services, and the only way to cancel is to reply to them IN WRITING (not e-mail an actual written on paper letter) and by a certain day of the month.

I think its best to avoid those places, but you have to read ALL the fine print to know and that's a pain, which is what they're banking on...

LaPierre was a good guy for us, decades ago, and did some good work, but today he has become a classic example of the old saying that "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts, absolutely".

He has besmirched the honor of a fine organization, and of gun owners in general.

For him, I say pistols at 10 paces at dawn would be approriate...:rolleyes:

44 AMP said:
As to the NRA being able to charge me, I don't see how they could, as they have neither my back account # or any card # of mine.
If you have ever paid by check, they could have your bank name and account number. It's printed on every check, along with the bank's routing number.

Bill DeShivs said:
Last year may have been the first time I renewed mine on line.
It would not surprise me if they had some fine print on the renewal web page that made automatic renewal the default, and required you to opt out if you didn't want to do that. I hate it when companies (or organizations) do that. In fact, I really think there should be laws prohibiting opt-out offers. Especially when they're hidden in rivers of fine print.

[QUOTEfolks who prefer to deal in cash do so to be able to hide their profits and reduce their tax liability[/QUOTE]

You say that as if being sure that I get fully taxed every single penny to fund programs I hate is a moral obligation....

44 AMP

Staff
If you have ever paid by check, they could have your bank name and account number. It's printed on every check, along with the bank's routing number.

Assuming I still have the same bank and acct#

I feel pretty safe, the last time the NRA got a check from me was before there was an Internet...
;)

Prof Young

Yep. They'll get ya.

I used to renew my NRA membership whenever the notice for renewal came in the mail. I got a lot of nice pocket knives in the process. Anyway, it finally dawned on me that these renewal notices came far more frequently than once a year. So I dug around and discovered that I was renewed up through 2024. Really? Anyway the NRA has way over stepped the bounds of being a not for profit and gotten themselves in a lot of legal trouble. Not for profit CEO should not be making over a million a year and getting family members jobs that pay 400 grand a year. It's not all that unusual. I used to give money to MADD until I discovered that some of their fund raisers were making 200 grand a year. That's not grass roots.

It's time for the NRA to do a make over.

Life is good.
Prof Young

BillyBoy 57

My Norton anti -virus did the auto renew without asking , i called and actually got a better deal till it was done . Sirrus radio is famous for this too.

Commander47

You have to opt into the automatic renewal program.

If you do, the annual dues are $5.00 cheaper.

Also, you should have received an email telling you this payment was coming up. In fact, you should have received several. You may want to check your spam mail.

Because you were charged $40.00, I am guessing the system thinks you opted in to auto renew.

You can easily opt out. Simply log into your account with your NRA number.

Regardless what anyone believes, NRA is the single best defender of our 2nd Amendment rights. It is supported by members and donation.

NRA actively fights for gun rights in all 50 states and nationally. It also has the best win record in court. None of that is cheap.

There are other gun rights groups. They do not have the power or clout of the NRA.

shurshot

"NRA is the single best defender of our 2nd Amendment rights. It is supported by members and donation"
:rolleyes:
What our membership $$$ HAS been supporting, is lavish lifestyles (designer clothes, vacations, etc.), for the NRA Administration, who have made themselves untouchable. THIS is why so many of us are pissed off.
Power corrupts.

Last edited:
Comander47 said:
NRA actively fights for gun rights in all 50 states and nationally. It also has the best win record in court.
Is the NRA's record in court better than that of the Second Amendment Foundation?

Remember, the NRA opposed Heller. Closer to home, the NRA dissuaded me from filing a federal suit against my home town over a local ordinance that was manifestly anti-2A ... and was so poorly worded that the then-chief of police said it was unenforceable. The problem there was that the next chief could have (and did) decide that it was enforceable, so we have to understand that a law on the books that isn't being enforced today ... is still on the books.