Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifles

scoobydoo6906

I have shot one of there single shot shotguns, it was nothing fancy but it got the job done. I am thinking of buying a couple of them so I was wanting to know how do there rifles shoot? I seem to remember hearing that they shoot pretty darn good. what kind of after market stuff is there for them such as stocks, barrels thats sort of stuff? I know with a semi auto like an ar15 .223 and 5.56 are different, 5.56 chambers can shoot both .223 and 5.56 but a .223 can only shoot .223 ammo is that still the case with single shot rifles?

10mm man

I got one in trade for a TC Contender pistol. I haven't shot it yet, so I am curious also about others experiences. Mine is a heavy barrel .223

wyobohunter

hoss

Which model exactly is the .243 and how is the accuracy, I'm thinking of buying one for my knockabout varmint rifle (use while snow machining, ice fishing, trapping etc.). Thanks.

10-96

Some years ago, I had the hvy bbl Ultra Varmint. I guess it was OK for what it was. Never failed me. Trigger was attrocious, and there was something goofy with the chambering. I did a chamber cast and there was no way I could load a bullet out far enough to get to my desired distance from the lands- they just didn't make bullets that long. It was point of pasture poodle and point of yote at 300yds- but just barely. On a positive note- I took it to a local benchrest match on a dare. I sure didn't win the thing, but I came in 3 or 4 from bottom and that suprised the heck out of me... and nearly everyone else there.

huchahuchax

The first gun I ever owned was the 12 ga. shotgun version. My dad bought it for me when I was 12 because he wanted to teach me to duck hunt. I hated that damned gun because it kicked like a mule.

Fast forward many years - I recently bought the .45lc Buffalo Classic carbine and I LOVE that gun. The trigger and fit / finish leave something to be desired, but as far as function goes, that gun was worth every penny. I think I paid about $200, but I was at a gun show today and saw the exact gun going for $400. I don't know what that is all about. I checked Davidson's Gun Genie and everyone in Oklahoma is selling that gun for $400. Someone is smoking crack.

Also at the gun show, I managed to pick up an H&R Topper 20 ga. shotgun for $85. Perhaps a little high for a used H&R, but still cheaper than a new one.

Kreyzhorse

I've spent some time on a my buddy's Handi-rifle. It's a 30.06 and it shoots very well. We ususally take it on hunting trips as a back up rifle and I've killed an antelope with it at 150 to 200 yards.

If I were in the market for a cheap second rifle, I would hesitate to buy and H&R.

Sensai

I normally shoot a 22-250 for varmints, but I wanted to try the .204 Ruger and didn't want to (couldn't) pour a bundle into a new rifle. I picked up a "Handi-Rifle" at a good price from my local shop, and have been very impressed. The trigger is nice and clean, and the 200 yard groups from the first two boxes of factory 32 grain ammo are well under 3". I didn't bother to measure them exactly, because I'm basically just breaking in the gun, and collecting cases before I get serious about it. By the way, mine's marked "New England Firearms" instead of "H&R", but I understand it's the same folks.

knight0334

Scooby, with your question about shooting 5.56 in 223 rifles..

Unless the manufacturer specifically says it ok, dont shoot 5.56 ammo in a 223. With your H&R, it is not approved for 5.56 ammo loads. However, you can use 5.56 brass that is properly sized to 223(slightly different), but you must load it to 223 levels. The 5.56 is also much hotter.

Another thing to consider is that mil-spec ammo uses harder primers. The NEF/H&R rifles have a hard time igniting mil-spec ammo due to light hammer strikers. ...which is the reason why they discontinued the 7.62x39 guns. People were using the mil-spec ammo even though NEF/H&R provided a disclaimer saying NOT to use mil ammo. But people used it anyways an pitched a fit wondering why it wouldn't shoot. So bye-bye went the 7.62x39 due to idiots.

Last edited:

bigghoss

hoss
Which model exactly is the .243 and how is the accuracy, I'm thinking of buying one for my knockabout varmint rifle (use while snow machining, ice fishing, trapping etc.). Thanks.

I don't know the exact model because I got it used. it has no sights, high comb synthetic stock and heavy contour barrel. accuracy is good but I've never shot it off a bench using a proper rest so I can't give you a group size.

preventec47

There is a NEF HandiRifle forum at Yahoo and everybody pretty much
likes their rifles. Smith and Wesson recently bought them however
and they moved to New York I think. Their service turnarounds
have improved since. The best feature is that you can buy extra
barrels in caliber of your choice for $85. Some guys on the
forum have twelve or more barrels. Take your 45/70 and switch
to muzzleloader, then 223, then 12 ga goose gun then 357 magnum
etc. you get the idea. That is just a fraction of the price
of Thompson Encore guns with switch barrels.

I want one of the 45/70s with 32 inch barrel. What they
call the Buffalo Classic. Choate makes a hollow stock
and forearm for storing things in them and that is what
I want also.

OldCorp

Got a H&R model in .357 that's always been fun to shoot. Taken many squirrels with .38 Spl. wadcutters, which are super-accurate out to 50 yds.

Also have an NEF in .500 S&W Mag. Also fun to shoot and have taken a few deer with it, all within ~75 yds. Big hole.......

Good vallue in a 'utility' gun.

preventec47

QUOTE by knight0334
Another thing to consider is that mil-spec ammo uses harder primers. The NEF/H&R rifles have a hard time igniting mil-spec ammo due to light hammer strikers. ...which is the reason why they discontinued the 7.62x39 guns.
/////////////////////////////////

I was surprised to read this as I thought with their true hammer
action that the wallop to the primer would be a large one.
This might have an effect on me being able to get a barrel made
or converted to 7.62x 54 for which I have thousands of rounds
of milsurp ammo.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
The ones I've seen fired had great accuracy - one (.223) way better than most bolt action rifles.

One thing - it pays to be able to try the trigger before you purchase - I've seen some with a trigger pull like a squirt gun, others with excellent triggers.

Swampghost

I bought one for my youngest brother for his first gun (Dad was KIA and divorced). I bought the 16ga. and 30-30 Win. barrels for him. He's since bought better (and worse) but he still likes that 30-30 for hog hunting.