Handloading record...

What has your handloading record been?

• I’ve never had a single incident of any kind with my reloads.

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • I’ve only had one minor incident (case failure, etc.) with my reloads. (No damage or Injury.)

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • I’ve only had a few minor incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I’ve had many minor incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I’ve only had one major incident with my reloads. (Injury and/or Pistol damaged)

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I’ve only had a few major incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I’ve had many major incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mike40-11

Had one squib. I think it had a a light charge, not no powder. Wasn't completely quiet anyway. My son (16) was shooting it and didn't notice the reduced recoil:eek:. Fortunately, the bullet didn't get all the way past the throat so it wouldn't chamber the next one. Really REALLY careful with the charging ever since!

Crosshair

I had a double charge in my Desert Eagle in 44 Mag. Only damage was the ejector retaining pin. Case looked like it was made of clay. I have the case in front of me. Another member calculated the pressure to be in the range of 114,000 PSI.

Threefeathers

I've been reloading 20+ years and have had numerous kabooms with experimental ammo.
I came home covered with brass and blood trying to find an M-1 carbine load that would come out of a silencer when I was working for Arms Tech and we were developing an Internal Pest Control round.

I kaboomed a 9mm when I double loaded Bullseye. (I will never load with that powder again.) the Browning blew the mag out the bottom and that was all. I put a new mag in with different bullets and it has functioned fine for 10 more years.

I blew the primers out of a 6.5X55 load that we were using sabots to try and reach out a long ways.

hoytinak

I double charged 50 rounds of .45 not too long ago. Went out to the range the next day with them. Loaded up the Springfield and shot one round (that's all it took :eek:). Cracked the chamber a little, cracked the stocks and blew the mag apart. Went home a pulled every bullet from that batch and re-reloaded them.

44 AMP

Staff
Only a few minor things...and one major

The one major one was back in the early 1970s when I was just starting (15yrs old), and was with a rifle round, cast bullets and Hercules 2400 powder. Just a bit one the overpressure side (110,000psi). Never did that again!

For pistol rounds, I did have 3 or 4 dud rounds (light or no powder charge) when I started using progressive presses in the mid 1980s. Figured out what I was doing wrong, and since then, no problems.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Interesting results. Less than half the respondents have a perfect handloading record.

About one reloader in 14 has had one or more major reloading incidents--incidents that caused injury and/or damage.

JohnKSa

Administrator
...never had a problem, but now.....

WildknockonwoodAlaska TM
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

I've always thought of you as the kind of guy who trusts in luck when it comes to safety. :D

JohnKhistrionicsSa

Wildalaska

Dude you are up waaaaaaaaaaaaay too late.

I'm so jinxed now I am going back to the tweezer powder measurement technique :)

WildazirconencrustedtweezerinmyhandimayaddAlaska TM

Points to who gets it.

Archie

Several minor incidents

Been loading since the early 1970s.

I've had a few rounds that went BANG far too loud and primer leaks.

One pierced primer in a 6.5x55 Swede, but Paul Mauser's design came through and vented the gas down and out of the action.

My commonest 'malfunction' is either no powder or squib loads. And I've got the 'no powder' malfunction pretty well resolved.

Most all my errors and mis-steps have simply been embarrassing - no damage to guns or shooters. (Except the trauma of pounding bullets out of barrels.)

Thank you Lord for watching out for me.

Zombie Steve

No problems yet, but only been doing it for 6 months or so...

Consider the wood on my desk knocked.

WildAlaska - wouldn't the zircon encrusted tweezers be from Zappa? Sheik Yerbouti, or is that from Apostrophe?

grymster2007

Never a problem.... but only been loading a few months and not real often at that. I'm pretty careful and never hurry. Don't load to save money, just do it 'cause it's fun.

SigfanTN

I have only loaded around 750 so far...still fairly new to reloading, but geez the prices of ammo....

I did recently get a S&W 442 for the wifey, and we bought 2 boxes of "factory" reloads at the range which were loaded by a local company. She wanted me to shoot it first, so 5 rounds and hand it over to her. She loads and fires all five, loads again fires one, and "click!" I didn't hear it with ear protection and didn't know she had pulled the trigger. Fortunately she waited 5 or ten seconds and turned (snubby still pointed downrange) to tell me that nothing happened. I opened the cylinder and looked down the forcing cone to see the backend of a fully jacketed bullet. Took it home and eventually managed to hammer the bullet out with a wooden dowel. Next trip to the range I went solo, and took her pistol with me. I got 21 rounds through the gun before the next one felt weak and had a odd sound. I stopped, opened the cylinder checked the barrel, and again a stuck bullet.

The range was good enough to refund me on the ammo, but I'm ordering some .38 dies for my Lee press so the only reloads I'm shooting are my own.

I hope the worst mistake I ever have is a squib, but it is still unnerving.

floydster

Ouestion for Threefeathers:

How could you double charge a 9mm with Bullseye without spilling over the case, I use 4 gr. max and there is just enough room to seat the bullet without compressing.
Floydster:)