Handloading record...

What has your handloading record been?

• I’ve never had a single incident of any kind with my reloads.

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • I’ve only had one minor incident (case failure, etc.) with my reloads. (No damage or Injury.)

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • I’ve only had a few minor incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I’ve had many minor incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I’ve only had one major incident with my reloads. (Injury and/or Pistol damaged)

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I’ve only had a few major incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I’ve had many major incidents with my reloads.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnKSa

Administrator
Just finished reading about another reloading incident and got a bit curious.

The poll is anonymous and is only for those who reload for handguns.

Pick as many options as apply.

Some amplifying comments...

A major incident is one that results in damage to the firearm or injury. Any other incident is a minor incident.

A squib would be a minor incident unless you followed it with another round and damaged the gun.

A case failure that didn't cause damage or injury would be a minor incident.

A single voter can have had both minor and major incidents, but within a given category, (minor/major) a voter should only select one option.

Last edited:

johnm1

Minor incident

I included FTF as a minor incident. I have had several all related to primer seating as I was learning how to reload. Never had a case failure or damage.

Silvanus

I’ve never had a single incident of any kind with my reloads.

BUT: I've only loaded 200 rounds of .38 special so far. There's not much I could have done wrong so far. Let's hope it stays that way;)

WESHOOT2

when using "range" brass

I missed the button for "a few minor". "I say "minor" ONLY because the loads so made were intended for competition only, and made using pick-up range brass. The knowledge of potential issues was acknowledged prior to loading.
It's also why I keep numerous new cases for every chambering I load.
Numerous.

I did find the button for "trying to drive a .430" 300g LTC to 1800fps with Universal Clays will bend even a Redhawk".

Never load with distractions. Rotten daughter. Ruger service was great.

WESHOOT2

on the commercial side

Never. Not one. Ever. Zero. None.
Even with remanufactured.
None.

Yes, I'm rather proud of that.

Not "yet"...

I only reload with single stage presses, & am still "new" enough at reloading, that I check everything 2-3 times... I do have some loads that are "hotter" than I would have liked / intended...( larger meplat bullet seems to increase the chamber pressure faster than smaller meplat bullets ), but since I started low on the pressure range, they are still safe for some of the guns I own, but I will not shoot them in the gun that I was loading them for...

IM_Lugger

I didn't know how to vote... find the poll confusing; too many option, all similar in a way.

I've made 100 rounds of underloaded ammo that wouldn't cycle th slide, seated a batch of high primers that misfired on the first strike, and loaded some light (revolver) loades that somehow managed to get the unburned powder beween cylinder and case...That's about all. I consider them very minor mistakes, since no one got hurt and guns are OK :)

Never has a squib, KB or primer going off during reloading, and hope it will stay that say.

raimius

Nothing here (did not vote because I have rarely used reloads).

However, one guy I know managed to overload a .45ACP round. It was the 1st or 2nd round in the mag. When he pulled the trigger, a small fireball came out of the muzzle, some powder hit his face and burned a small hole in his nose, the ejected brass was significantly damaged, and the rest of the magazine blew through the base plate of the mag. We found one bullet (the next one in the mag, we think) that was compressed into the casing and had quite a bit of burnt powder covering it. His best guess is that he double loaded that round.:eek: He is a lot more careful now!

Sevens

Started with .38 Special and swaged Speer SWC, Green Dot metered by a Lee dipper, in 1989.

Never have had any trouble of any sort, but I have a number of checks and balances in place.

clayking

I think I've reloaded about 50,000 rounds, but that is a guess as I don't count. I've had two squibb loads that were my fault. But then, I watched a shooter next to me several weeks ago with 3 squibbs out of a box of factory loads........................ck

I voted "few minor incidents". The term seems to be vague. Do you mean instances that could have been a cotastrophe but no one was hurt? Or just small mistakes?

My minor incidents are when I'm experimenting with charges with new powder and OAL adjustments. I've had some loads that wouldn't cycle the slide very reliably.

I haven't had any squibbs or double charges. This would categorize as major to me...

Been loading for over 10 years and I knock on wood every day. You know the saying...There's those that have and those that will....

Hmmm...I think I just thought of a fresh sig line...

I have had exactly 3 squibs out of 7K-9K rounds (don't remember total loaded but vividly remember the squibs). I had trained myself to check whatever ejected from the chamber after an apparent misfire after watching someone have a catastrophic failure due to having a squib and sending another one down the pipe right behind it. Saved me two guns and probably a little flesh and blood.

Webleymkv

I've had a few primers require a second smack to set them off and I had a squib once (bullet got stuck in the barrel but I realized it before firing again).

AK103K

At this point, I dont know how many rounds I've reloaded, I started back in the 60's, and at my busiest, was loading tens of thousands a year for quite awhile. Lets just say its more than a bunch.

I've had plenty of split cases over the years, as I'm sure a lot of other people have. You shoot pistol brass to failure, which can often be never. I loaded one batch of .44 MAG brass for over 10 years.

The only real issues were squibs/lack of powder, which was probably five or six total. All were due to progressive presses, mostly early Lee's. Never had the problem with a single stage press. Even with the squibs, I still caught it before I shot them. I caught the problem within one or two boxes and knew to look for it at the range.

If your following good practices, paying attention and not getting to silly, you'll be alright. Its always better to be a little scared than to become complacent.

JayCee

I guess I need to admit to one minor incident when I first started using a progressive press about 5 years ago. I wasn't watching the powder charging step closely enough and ended up with a 45ACP cartridge that contained no powder. It lodged a short distance down the barrel of my 1911, and I was able to remove it easily with a wooden dowel. I resolved then to watch the powder charging process more closely. Haven't had anything like that happen since (knock on wood...)