Handguns You Would Recommend For the First Time Buyer

FirstFreedom

Any CZ
Any Sig
Any HK
Beretta 92
Browning/FN Hi-Power
Springfield XD

Can't say enough about the value of the various CZ 75s / 85s. Can't say enough about a Sig 226 or other 22x, but the value is not as high, given the price. On 1911s, I've had no problems with my Kimbers (3) or my Springfield (1) that I've had, but I'm just one dude - I understand that a fair number of people have had problems with these - course that can happen with any gun, but not likely with a Sig, CZ or other such proven consistent performer. Sigs will have more aftermarket availibility of extra stuff, between those 2. I'd agree that these 3 plastic pistols are superior values: SigPros, Spgfld XD, and Steyr M & S guns.

Darkangel

The first gun I bought a friend who had never owned a gun was a S&W 586, .357 revolver.
If someone only wants a SA, then It wouild most likely be a Beretta 9mm as it has all the current safties, and is a DA/SA.
:cool:

Shoup

I would recommend the any of the Sig pistols, I carry a P220R ST, and a P245 on duty and I also have a P226R chambered in 9mm (all DAO unfortunately due to department rules). They are easy to maintain, take a lot of abuse, and have a very good warranty program. The Smith autos that I have seen are oil hungry and will seize or jam if not lubricated often or if lubricated to much. The beretta, I am sorry all, but I lost love for that in the military. Going back to what I said though, the Sig would be your best bet.

mikikanazawa

If faced with an "end of the world as we know it" situation, where I could only have one gun and no replacement parts, I'd have to give a Glock 17 or 19 the nod.

Glocks I've owned in the past were very accurate, especially for a ~$525 gun, and reliable as a "block." Maintenance is very easy and the gun can be fieldstripped without tools.

I don't derive the pleasure out of Glock ownership that I do from a fine 1911, but the Glock's an excellent tool.

Hal

1.) CZ75b in 9mm. Ammunition is inexpensive enough to provide ample live trigger time/ the gun itself works well out of the box.

2.) Used S&W K frame, preferrably a Model 19. Again, .38 spl ammunition is fairly inexpensive /the gun itself works exceedingly well in stock form. The model 19 allows for the use of .357mag.(if that floats your boat).

Both allow for a lot of dryfire practice. Both are inexpensive enough at the outset to "hang on to" but offer fair to excellent ability to "turn it" w/out losing a significant amount if it ends up that way.

RE: The .22. I've lost count of the number of first timers that outgrew a .22 after the first or second time out. Most moved up to a .38spl within a box or 2 of ammuntion. While I tend to agree with the idea of starting out "small", it's kind of offset by the fact that a .22 can be a significant outlay for someone just getting started.

Rusty S

Double action 22 l.r., to be selected at the largest gun store within 4 hours driving time. Make that the largest in the state if possible, to include new and used guns.

And take a knowledgeable friend who doesn't know everything and can use Jim March's ( see THR revolver forum ) or a similar checkout list. If he can tell you pro's and con's without getting invested in the process so much the better.

I can't remember where I heard it, but when one highly knowledgeable teacher was asked for a recommendation he responded a gun in that could fire 38 spl: the questioner responded something to the effect " That would kill somebody! I want a gun that will stop them! "

A 22 l.r. with high velocity hollow points will indeed stop someone, but you may have to kill them to do it. A Ruger SP-101, a Colt Diamondback, a S&W K-22 ( M17 ) or kit-gun ( J frame ), or a good Charter Arms Pathfinder or Rossi or Taurus revolver ( my gunsmith assures me there are good Rossi's and Tauri out there - just check their new guns out just like you would a used higher grade gun ) won't be outgrown and can be used for protection - a gun is a gun to most people and it's display will cause most threats to go away with or without a full bladder.

If legal, carry an easily opened lockblade such as Cold Steel's FRN Voyager series, which can be had in up to a 6" blade length for a reasonable price ( I paid $62 for a model with 5" tanto blade -most states limit to a 4" blade or shorter, but mine was purchased in case I needed to go to California where any length folder is legal ). Very few people have been shot. Most have been cut, and fear a knife more than a gun because they can imagine being cut.

Enough of this balogna. You'll listen or you won't. Most posters have some good information to think about. Take my comments with a grain of salt, but also with the knowledge that I got much of my information from the head of the second largest crime scene investigation unit in my state.

PS: the 50 pound block of salt lick is right outside my front door.