Handguns You Would Recommend For the First Time Buyer

IanS

Which handguns would you have no qualms recommending for the individual looking to buy a handgun for self defense and range use.

Ease of Maintenance, Out of the Box Reliability, Durability, Good Customer Service, Ease of Finding Accesories, Magazines, and Parts are Paramount. This will be their ONLY handgun since this individual isn't really "into" guns like many of us are.

For me:

S&W L or K frame (.357/.38)

SIG P226, P228, or P229 in 9mm

Glock 17

Beretta 92FS Brigadier or 92G Elite II in 9mm

WillBrayjr

i would recommend the ruger handguns because ruger has a handgun for every role. the springfield xd series because they're packed with features at a reasonable price. the sig classic line because they're proven performers with military and law enforcement. the magnum research desert eagle in .357mag because it's light enough in weight for home defense yet potent enough to put food on the table. the ria 1911a1, a good .45acp that performs and still doesn't break the bank.

Smurfslayer

In consideration of the Beretta, I would _not_ consider the brigadier (heavy) slide models. The standard slide beretta is just fine, and is far more common - since you mentioned parts availability as a requirement...

All of the models you mention are fine choices. Of them, I _prefer_ the Beretta. I prefer traditional double actions, in decocker only configurations - tough to find a standard slide Beretta in that config. The TM9 (m9 pistol) manual explains in excruciating detail how to deal with practically every contingency for that gun, and is available for 10 bucks. It's easy to make this gun sing - see www.langdontactical.com , some surplus parts warehouses have parts, and they're readily available from other sources as well.

I would point out that among your choices, the Glock & Beretta have .22 conversion kits available, making for cheaper practice !

Majic

A quality revolver. Generally quite accurate out the box, quite durable, no magazines needed. few parts wear or need periodic changing, and a simple manual of arms for those not wishing to spend a lot of time with it.

Norton

I'd say a .38 or .357 revolver with a 4" barrel. Simple manual of arms, rock solid reliability.

I started with a Taurus 82 ( or is it 83?) and after about three months had moved up to my USP9.

XavierBreath

self defense and range use
Ease of Maintenance,
Out of the Box Reliability,
Durability,
Good Customer Service,
Ease of Finding Accesories, Magazines, and Parts are Paramount.
This will be their ONLY handgun since this individual isn't really "into" guns like many of us are.

First, I would recommend getting into marksmanship and training. A person should not own a gun and believe they will figure it all out when they finally have to use it. It is NOT a magic talisman against crime. Take NRA classes.

Next I would recommend a progression of guns. Start with a .22 caliber handgun to learn marksmanship and gun safety. A .22 caliber revolver would be the ticket, because I would recommend ending the progression with a K frame S&W revolver, perhaps a Model 66. Make it stainless for ease of maintenance, and a .357 for flexibility. The revolver will also allow a good fitting to the shooter's hand through grip changes. S&W has the widest grip selection, therefore, S&W is my pick. Ruger makes a good .357 as well, if it fits the shooter.

Guns I would NOT recommend to a person who is not "into guns" include:

Any semi-automatic including Glocks, XD's, 1911's and especially Glocks. The complexity of maintenance will make it rarely done, and the gun will lose reliability.

Junk Revolvers. If you are just going to own one, for goodness sakes get one with a proven track record, one that will last years. Stay away from the lightweight fashionable stuff.

Did I mention Glocks? Safety on the trigger takes mega training to be safe with under fire, and you have to assume this "not into guns" person will not get adequate training to be safe.

Nomex on.......

MatoTanika

I believe that to be recommended the guns MUST first fit the hand and
strength of the person who will be shooting. That will weed out a bunch
of guns right off the bat.

While some may disagree I have found in 9 years of teaching beginners
they can handle autos just as well as revolvers. Usually new shooters
pay great attention in class and are very open to learning new things.

I totally agree with Xavier - the new shooter needs training - in shooting,
safety and when NOT to shoot.

Lee.............

Shamus

XavierBreath
First, I would recommend getting into marksmanship and training. A person should not own a gun and believe they will figure it all out when they finally have to use it. It is NOT a magic talisman against crime. Take NRA classes.

Next I would recommend a progression of guns. Start with a .22 caliber handgun to learn marksmanship and gun safety. A .22 caliber revolver would be the ticket, because I would recommend ending the progression with a K frame S&W revolver, perhaps a Model 66. Make it stainless for ease of maintenance, and a .357 for flexibility. The revolver will also allow a good fitting to the shooter's hand through grip changes. S&W has the widest grip selection, therefore, S&W is my pick. Ruger makes a good .357 as well, if it fits the shooter.

Guns I would NOT recommend to a person who is not "into guns" include:
Any semi-automatic... snip snip

Probably the best advice anyone could give XB.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
The SIG P-series classics make for an excellent "first and only" gun.
If I had to (GOD forbid, please?), get rid of all but one gun; my .45
ACP West German SIG P220A would be the one I would want to keep.
Purchased NIB on 31 March 95 (my second P220A), it looks as good
today, as it did the day it left my favorite gunshop; cuz I treat all
my firearms with lots of TLC.

Let me expand just a little on why this would be my one and only choice.
Extreme RELIABILITY*, SUPER "SCARY" ACCURATE, CRAFTSMANSHIP,
and EASE OF MAINTENANCE.

*FootNote: Second to NONE!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Sir William

Taurus 941 4" 22, S&W M10 4" 38 Special and a Uberti single action in 357 Magnum. Once they know the manual of arms and are proficient in safety, semi-autos can be discussed.

IanS

Xavier,

That is indeed good advice esp. for people who treat guns like fire extinguishers.

Although for people who aren't initially "into guns" many do like the idea of owning an automatic because it would be "cool". I think there are a lot of first time buyers who fall into this group. I think you'd have a hard time steering them towards a .22 or a revolver first. I first got into guns partly because I really wanted a Beretta 92. And owning a gun that I liked encouraged me to go out and practice with it as often as I could. I don't think anyone could have convinced me to start out with a .22 (regardless of the fact it was to my detriment).

Ala Dan,

The P220 is indeed a great platform. The P Series are my favorites as well; although I do prefer the P220ST, P226, and P228 varieties.

Its good to see you on this forum.

By the way do you frequent SIGForum? Lots of SIG friendly people there. ;) Or would it be like preaching to the choir and prefer to evangelize the Gospel according to SIG to the outside world instead? :D

cxm

Recommendations:

I have no qualms about recommending anything that has S&W on it. The S&W autos are excellent and the revolvers are unequaled.

Colt's 1911 type guns are also very good indeed, as are Springfield products.

So, if the question is an auto, my recommendation is S&W, Colt's, or Springfield. For revolvers it is S&W.

FWIW

/r

Chuck

SemperFi

The Glock 17 was my first handgun. Easy to use, easy to field strip and clean. It requires less maintenance than most handguns. Parts/Accessories are easy to find and put in yourself (check out glockmeister.com). Ammunition is cheap (< $100 for 1000 9mm 115 gr FMJ). Plus, you can buy a 22 LR conversion kit for about $250 and make it really inexpensive to take to the range.

at-home-daddy

Sig P226 or P228. If you're not carrying, the P226. If you are (or have smaller hands and would like a slightly smaller grip), the P228. There's a lot of factory-refurbished ones out there now to be had at great prices...

cagedruss

Steyr M9 or M40

I would recommend a Steyr M9 or M40, prices average $350, Austrian made, similar to glock and has a easy take down for cleaning. Rated one of the best shooting guns and will feed +P+'s with no problems.

rellascout

P228 or Steyr S9

I would recommend a used P228 from CDNN $399. They are great pistols. Everything you can ask for from a 9mm. The only problem I see would be the DA/SA nature of the P228. If you don't practice enough the DA pull will cause you to miss on your first shot. Practice Practice Practice.

You might also look at the Steyr M9 9mm. This was mentioned before. CDNN is selling them right now for $249 plus $10 shipping. It comes with a standard 15 round mag. Great deal. Low recoil and muzzle flip. Points very naturally. Great trigger. DA so you get a consistant trigger pull. Super easy to field strip and clean.

They do require about a 300 round break in but after that they are rock solid. A super value. The M40 is going for $299.

Check out http://glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=96

It ia steyr group on glock talk.

Good luck

Rellascout