Handguns having an accessory rail

sanzo87

i hate rails i would gladly send to a smith and pay 50 to have them removied and then 150 refinsh if i couldnt find with out. cuase im my oppinion they are bulky and get in the way for most guns. also if you want a laser there are other options like gide rod or grips. i dont see the need but what ever floats your boat. i think that they get in the way for most guns but sadly its gettin harder to find them with out here anyways.

hoytinak

The only one of mine that I used the rail on is the P30 when it was my nightstand gun. But I have since replaced it with a G19 and while the X200 went to the G19 the laser went on the Cx4 Storm. It was just too bulky with both the light and laser on the rail.

ChicagoTex

I'm not opposed to rails generally, but I am opposed to rails being added to older guns and (in my opinion) spoiling the aesthetics - primary offenders in this category are the 1911, SIG/Sauers (especially the 220), and the Beretta 92 Vertec/M9A1 (but not the 90-two). Besides, many of these mandate a different holster which is a pain if you own the older version(s) or if the powers that be in holstermaking decide not to update your chosen model.

I'm not opposed to lights mounted on handguns for HD or Tactical duty with the understanding that the odds are extremely good that if you encounter some type of villain who happens to be armed with a firearm of his own, he's quite likely to fire at the light (which depending on your position may involve him firing directly into your center of mass) - this is a reason why Police officers still carry seperate duty lights (though the main reason still involves being able to employ a light without employing a gun) and are still trained to hold it over their shoulder for the most part. (Note that SWAT Officers decked out in full body armor don't share a lot of these concerns).

Anyway, back when I had my Springfield XD and it's accompanying Tac-Light, I kept it mounted for HD duty because it gave me more OPTIONS - my primary light was the Surefire 6P next to it, but in the event the 6P burnt out or was dropped or I found myself in a situation where I thought the benefits of having a light on my gun outweighed the risks, a second source of illumination was just a flick away. Options are always a good thing, and to say that I'm flat out opposed to rails or using rails just limits my options.

Rails have also found a new place in my heart ever since Lasermax saw fit to develop a trim laser unit that mounts on most handgun rails - which is a great way to get a laser on your HD handgun where a standard Lasermax or Crimson trace unit isn't feasible or available (it also allows you to move the laser from gun to gun, including long guns, as long as there is a compatible rail available - always a plus).

WESHOOT2

tool use

IME rail-guns wearing stuff are exceedingly specialized tools, not normally serving common defense needs.

I consider non-Ninja needs better served with a big long heavy bashing MagLite carried weak-hand over the weak shoulder.
Ready for light, or strikes, or throwing.

So I have no need for that don't-fit-my-holsters rail on mine.

DrLaw

I'm going rail

Come Monday I will be ordering a new gun with a rail. Why? Don't really know other than I do not have one with a rail at the moment, and if the time comes along, I will be getting a light for it. I like the idea of a little extra weight on the gun. A rail or no rail is not a deal breaker for me in that I live in a state where good, honest, law abiding citizens are not allowed to carry, but gang-bangers do it all the time. :mad: For some reason, our Governor does not seem to let the illogic bother him. Probably worried about an indictment or two. :rolleyes:
Anyway, rails have their good points and bad points. The nice thing is that the manufacturers are generally making both varieties to keep us happy.
The Doc is out now. :cool:

Topthis

I have the rail on a few of my handguns...have never put anything on them. I can't Carry with any attachments and I have half a dozen Tac Lites, so I figure what's the use.

DrLaw

Ya know, you guys can drive me nuts!!!

And then, just as I am about to order, the thought hits me, do I really need that accessory rail? I got to thinking about this thread.

And the answer was, yes, no, yes, no, no, no. I guess not. :rolleyes:

So, no rail this time.

The Doc is out now. :cool: