Handguns and Magnets

RJay

I have one, installed behind my head board, it holds a Walther .380PP. it is very strong but with a firm grip and a twist the gun comes clear. So far I can see no damage to the finish and since that is the only place and use for that gun it works very well. :p But a little confession, I do keep a piece of cloth between the gun and the magnet, a piece of black felt ( My wife doesn't know it is missing from her sewing kit. ) it is large enough that not only protects the gun finish, by folding it over the grip it makes the gun disappear in the dim light.

9x18_Walther

No, it's a sign of it's being a different alloy. Very few alloys of stainless steel are non-magnetic.

The most common malleable and corrosion-resistant stainless steel alloys contain trace amounts of ferrous components.

The stainless steel that is typically non-magnetic (usually martensitic) corrode a little less than regular carbon steel. This defeats the purpose for firearms applications.

Limnophile

9x18,

ll there isn't much you can do when a MRI magnet is involved and you don't follow instructions.

The patient was a cop, and he was following the departmental and common sense instruction not to surrender his sidearm. Hospitals now give patients a locker where they can lock up their belongings as they disrobe and engown to prepare for an MRI.

T. O'Heir,

"...the magnet caused the gun to discharge..." Not a chance in Hades. Bashing a 1911 on the machine or whatever, hard, might, but a magnet will do nothing.

The firing pin block is designed to be lifted only by the pull of the trigger. When the magnet ripped the Colt 1991 from the officer it impacted hard on the MRI, and either the impact dislodged the FPB or the magnetic field lifted it, thus allowing the inertia of the impact to let the firing pin slam into the primer. The safety lock remained engaged.

hounddogman

I have one sold by Cabelas keep under an end table by my chair holds a .25 nicely definitely not too strong out of curiosity I'll have to see if it will hold my 1911

Last edited:
I thought there was one company making firearms out of non-magnetic stainless. One of the cheaper ones. I was sure it came up in a previous thread from years ago where lots of people tested stainless guns with magnets.

I had a knife on one of the magnets at one point. Hard to pull off, but easy to slide off if that makes any sense.

9x18_Walther

I thought there was one company making firearms out of non-magnetic stainless.

Non-magnetic stainless is almost no better than regular carbon steel.

They were probably trying to make their firearm look more expensive.

45_auto

Non-magnetic stainless is almost no better than regular carbon steel.

Interesting theory. Perhaps not sleeping in materials class would be in order.

So why are 304 and 316 stainless specified for so many boat, airplane, and spacecraft parts where corrosion is a major concern?

Marine grade stainless steel is further distilled into two popular alloys, designated by the American Iron and Steel Institute as 300 series. For recreational marine applications, the most common of these are 304 and 316.

With its higher nickel composition range, 316 is considered the "most nonmagnetic" stainless steel.

The fasteners used to secure struts, strainers, and other underwater hardware, for instance, should be bronze rather than stainless steel. If stainless steel must be used in such an application, for a custom-made strut or shaft log for instance, it should be fabricated from the most corrosion resistant marine alloy available, 316L or 317L.

Austenitic
Austenitic, or nonmagnetic stainless steels, are classified in the 200 and 300 series, with 16% to 30% chromium and 2% to 20% nickel for enhanced surface quality, formability and increased corrosion and wear resistance, and are nonhardenable by heat treating. These steels are the most popular grades of stainless produced due to their excellent formability and corrosion resistance. All austenitic steels are nonmagnetic in the annealed condition. (Depending on the composition, mainly the nickel content, austenitics do become slightly magnetic when cold worked.) Austenitic stainless steel grades include: Type 201, NITRONIC® 30, 301, 304, 305, 309S, 316, 316L, and 321. Austenitics are used for automotive trim, cookware, food and beverage equipment, processing equipment, and a variety of industrial applications.

http://www.aksteel.com/markets_products/stainless.aspx
http://www.tampabaysteel.com/metal-products/stainless-steel/316-and-316l-stainless-steel.html
http://mtm-inc.com/reduce_project_risk/how_nonmagnetic_are_304_and_316_stainless_steels/
http://www.passagemaker.com/channels/stainless-steel-and-corrosion/

Last edited:

tipoc

The patient was a cop, and he was following the departmental and common sense instruction not to surrender his sidearm. Hospitals now give patients a locker where they can lock up their belongings as they disrobe and engown to prepare for an MRI.

Hospitals and testing labs have been doing this for decades. Well before this alleged incident took place. The man just brought the piece into the room with him and left it too close to the machine, if it happened at all the way the fella tells it.

tipoc

tipoc

The main problem with the magnet deal is they will cause your bullets to magnetize and boomerang back at ya.

What? This makes as much sense as the rest of the objections!

tipoc