Handgun Hunters

riverratt

I have a Ruger SBH that is setup for a scope. At 1st I had a Burris 2-7×32 that I put on her. From a bench wile supported on bags I could shoot a 2" group at 100 yards using handloaded 240gr XTPs. I was young and dumb at the time and never fired it off my knee or off hand as I would in a hunting situation. I found out very quickly that the added weight of the scope made me shake way to much to be accurate in the field. Next I tried a red dot, once again I just wasn't accurate enough with aiming that dot at anything over 30 or so yards. Finally I just settled on a quality set of fiber optic sights, for me this was the way to go. I can now shoot a fist sized group out to 60 yards off my knee and can pretty consistently bust clay pigeons out to 100. Heck on a good day from a rest I've been know to go 4 or 5 out of 6 on milk jugs out to 250 and ring the 24" dong out at the 350 mark.

I'm not saying an optic won't work for you but I'd definitely practice real world shooting positions before taking it into the field, you may just find out you're more accurate without.

Paul B.

The only scoped handgun I own is a TC Contender in 30-30 WCF. Scope is a 4X Leupold. I shot it just enough to sight it in. Its main use was as a demo of various handguns used for hunting in the Hunter Ed class I taught.
I've only so deer with a handgun mostly as they came as targets of opportunity during deer season and I had a tag. Probably the most "game" taken has been the jack rabbits and at one time I got good enough to hit them as far out as 100 yards. Both deer were take at 35 to 40 yards BTW.
I never really liked a scope on a handgun so all but the one mentioned have been shot with the iron sights. I just haven't shot them in some time as the arthritis in my hands, wrist and shoulder make them not much fun to shoot anymore.
Paul B.

HiBC

I have an MOA Maximum 14 in bbl single shot handgun in 260 Rem. It wears a 4 X Leupold LER scope.
It flings 120 gr Ballistic Tips at approx 2600 fps.On a bench,it pretty much groups 5 shots on a quarter.

The MOA maximum lives up to its name.

Hunting rifle,,prone can have issues with vegetation. Sitting nearly always works.
With that handgun,I shoot "Laid back sitting" My butts on the ground.Handgun rests on my right knee. Right forearm rests on my thigh and the grip is just enough to control the gun in recoil.
Left elbow...I lay back and its on the ground.If needed,my left hand can support my head.

In that position,I can shoot nearly as well as I can with a rifle,no sling,7lbs,just plopping down.

200 yd clay birds are easy.

I will caution that if you try a similar position with a revolver,be aware of the cylinder gap gas leakage. I learned the hard way with my SBH. It will bite you through your pants.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus! Kentucky Ballistics,the guy who had his 50 BMG Serbu rifle come unglued,made a vid about recreating the kaboom.
Which led me to see another of his vids called "Elephant Pistol"

Is about an MOA Maximum handgun similar to the one mentioned above. This one has a 16 in bbl,a brake,and its in 375 H+H.
Mine is a 14 in in .260 Rem,but otherwise,same gun

https://youtu.be/qaS5puRKigs

Last edited:

Ole yeller

I hunt whitetail deer with a Ruger .454 Casual with a red dot scope. Flipped her over on her back and slid backwards about 4 feet. I also use a Thompson Center Contender in .35 Remington with a 4 power scope for more open areas. Being in a treestand with a handgun is so much more comfortable to sit and
move around with a shoulder holster rather than an 8 pound shotgun or rifle.

tctender

I hunt mostly with single shot type pistols in various calibers. They are scoped.If i think i may encounter a moving shot i usually have an unscoped revolver with me in a crossdraw position.Iron sights are usually better on moving game although i have taken them with scoped pistols.Main thing is practice with what you use.Practice with a scoped handgun will make a difference when you need it compared to not being used to one.