Handgun choice priority?

Cheapshooter

As time passed, I came to realize I had 3 'number ones'..shootability, reliability and concealability...effectiveness, number 2..
My 3 number ones are reliability, rebiability, and reliability. "Shootability" is good, but I tend more to adaptability on my part. Concealability is something else that is adaptable. Differences in effectiveness is pretty minimal in most current SD chamberings. As is accuracy at the up close and personal range a CCW firearm would most likely be used at.

USNRet93

I'm surprised with the existence of something like .50 GI we don't see more "wise guys" recommending that over .45, I mean, it's bigger! I guess because Walmart doesn't sell the ammo is why.

Anyway, priority is and has always been the gun you shoot best with in the largest caliber that you are comfortable carrying. For most women, they're not going to want to shoot anything bigger than .22, but that's really an option for last resort. The .380 in an LCP makes my hand shake after a few mags, so for a woman I can imagine it will take less than 10 rds to get the shakes.

.32 ACP, a .32 revolver, or a .38 Special with a light load are better than a .45 for a woman. Heck, a Glock 43 wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Comfort in carrying is very imprtant to me and if the gun isn't pleasant to shoot, I don't even want it taking up real estate at home in the safe much less on my person. Reliability, accuracy, shooting/carrying comfort are all top priorities. If it doesn't meet those criteria, effectiveness is a moot point. I'm one of those guys that feels secure with a 380 within reach. Hell, a 22 would be better to me than nothing.
Glock 42 would be my choice..small enough to carry easily, large enough to be a dream to shoot..There are other .380s out there that are similar. NOT teeny pocket guns..I have a LCP that I really despise shooting. BUT as mentioned, picking one for everyday, frequent reasons..cuz you are going to shoot it or carry it far more often than you are going to need it to shoot a 'bad guy'..THAT probability is nearly zero.

USNRet93

My 3 number ones are reliability, rebiability, and reliability. "Shootability" is good, but I tend more to adaptability on my part. Concealability is something else that is adaptable. Differences in effectiveness is pretty minimal in most current SD chamberings. As is accuracy at the up close and personal range a CCW firearm would most likely be used at.
Yup, shows that everybody's 'number ones' are different. Long story, but a certain close member of my family doesn't know I have a CCW.:eek: But knows I shoot a lot(indoor and outdoor ranges)..'pick yer battles'...So shootability and concealability are important..

buck460XVR

At my personal range, the favorite handgun for females to shoot among the bottom feeders is my 1911. Least favorite is the LCP. But iffin they had to conceal the gun, I'd bet most would go for the LCP. Seems like the lady in the OP was not being properly trained how to shoot as well as having a gun she didn't like. The two could have been related. The G30 supposedly has a short trigger reach, a good thing for small hands. Had she been properly instructed in a two handed grip, she may have shot much better. Most men I see shooting handguns, could not hold a handgun out a arms length steadily for more than a few seconds also.

With the type of training she was getting, I doubt very much of she would be thrilled with " shooting and then carrying" any gun.

USNRet93

At my personal range, the favorite handgun for females to shoot among the bottom feeders is my 1911. Least favorite is the LCP. But iffin they had to conceal the gun, I'd bet most would go for the LCP. Seems like the lady in the OP was not being properly trained how to shoot as well as having a gun she didn't like. The two could have been related. The G30 supposedly has a short trigger reach, a good thing for small hands. Had she been properly instructed in a two handed grip, she may have shot much better. Most men I see shooting handguns, could not hold a handgun out a arms length steadily for more than a few seconds also.

With the type of training she was getting, I doubt very much of she would be thrilled with " shooting and then carrying" any gun.
The range has a variety of 'ladies night' type events and the people working there will gladly take any person onto the line and give them instruction...for FREE(just pay for the gun, ammo and range time)..
But these guys are pretty devoid of 'opinion'..they see showing the 'new to guns' person what's the best for them.

I couldn't teach my then girlfriend and then wife, how to drive a stick shift car...this big guy shouldn't be 'teaching' this lady anything about guns.

zeke

Have seen numerous boyfriends/husbands initiating their girlfriends/wives into pistol shooting. Unfortunately way too many are into showing off how good/manly they are. Don't take it personal if you had success with your lady, it just means you're better than most.

Easy shooting pistol and starting up close seems to help newbies get over fear of recoil and failure. Plus they can see where they hit, and be more successful up close. It can really help if they are in class with other females or female instructor, which helps them relax (another key ingredient).

GarandTd

My wife has zero gun interest. I've been trying to get her to come to the range with me. I don't expect her to carry if she doesn't want to, but I'd like her to know how to use what is at her disposal when I'm not around. If I get her to come, it'll be all about the 22rf. Some women may want that feeling of empowerment that comes with a bigger caliber, but every woman is different and they need to make those choices on their own. For the women and (appropriately aged) children, I'll start them with the 22.

No sexism implied. I know there are many strong empowered women on this Earth.

T. O'Heir

"...this big guy shouldn't be..." Absolutely. The guy clearly had no idea what he was talking about or how to teach. Congratulations for you not helping and getting in the middle of it too.
Chances are she really didn't want to be there at all though.
Anyway, the number one priority for anybody is how well the thing fits the shooter's hand. If the thing doesn't fit, you cannot shoot it well enough for anything else to matter.