Handgun Ammo

chris in va

More ammo on the shelves, price is still high. They don't want to give up the panic profit.

I can definitely say though that casting will take a major downturn with the ban of lead wheelweights.

Skans

I don't see much hoarding yet.

Not with ammo......yet. That's because folks with money are too busy hoarding gold, silver, platinum and palladium. When they're done with that, they'll move to coffee, alcohol, and sugar. Next will be beef, corn, flower and anything canned or frozen.....and ammo.

RickB

I don't see much hoarding . . . yet? Where'd the millions upon millions of rounds go that were made between 2007 and 2010, if they weren't hoarded (CCI alone has been making a million rounds a day of .22 rimfire)? You think cupboards were bare, while ammo makers were running two shifts, because everyone who'd been shooting 1000 rounds a year, suddenly started shooting 1000 rounds a week? Personally, I don't know a single person who thought it was a good idea to stock-up on ammo and components when they were running 2x and 3x what they'd cost a few years ago, and I have yet to see a huge up-tick in shooting range useage or club memberships, so there are garages and bomb shelters full of ammo, somewhere.

Mr Lucky

I don't see much hoarding . . . yet? Where'd the millions upon millions of rounds go that were made between 2007 and 2010, if they weren't hoarded (CCI alone has been making a million rounds a day of .22 rimfire)? You think cupboards were bare, while ammo makers were running two shifts, because everyone who'd been shooting 1000 rounds a year, suddenly started shooting 1000 rounds a week? Personally, I don't know a single person who thought it was a good idea to stock-up on ammo and components when they were running 2x and 3x what they'd cost a few years ago, and I have yet to see a huge up-tick in shooting range useage or club memberships, so there are garages and bomb shelters full of ammo, somewhere.

It is pretty simple. We are fighting a war in two countries. The Olin Winchester plant 40 miles from here makes centerfire ammo. Their rimfire operations have moved to Mississippi I think.

The plant here works 3 shifts. They don't run all calibers all the time. Guess what, they are not making much ammo for civilian consumer use. Winchester, CCI and other manufactures are making ammo to fill government contracts.
There was a large shortage of .380 until several of the larger manufactures started outsourcing to other countries. Winchester .380 will say 95 gr. while the same Winchester .380 made out of the country will say 92 gr.

As far as .22 rimfire, I don't know. I have never seen a shortage of it from most manufacturers.

Dan31

Well TY all for the replies.

I just opened a pkg from my Dad that has 1000 rounds of .22 mini-mags in it with 100 rounds of .30-06. One of which still has the sale price of $6.50 on it.

As to why I wrote Mr. Obama...its because the liberal press never called President Bush President Bush they called him Mr. Bush. Tit for Tat

Oh, there definitely WAS hoarding going on. I know people who are now sitting on between 5,000 and 50,000 rounds of centerfire ammo, or more than enough to supply their shooting needs for years, if not decades.

And it was all bought simply because "they might not ever be able to get any more."

That's the true definition of hoarding.

The impetus to hoard was certainly short circuited somewhat by what Mr. Lucky describes, a constrained supply of civilian ammo. Fewer people could find it to hoard it.

But, that supply limitation also served to increase the severity of the shortage by making panicky people even more panicky and more prone to overbuying when they could find ammo.

It was quite the little vicious circle, and throw in the fear and unrest about Obama's intentions towards firearms and it's no wonder that this situation has gone on for nearly 3 years at this point.