Hand Priming Tool

Metal god

I considered the bench mount tool but was turned off buy the loading of the primer tube one primer at a time . Just one more step I did not want to do .

Let me add to my first post about how great I think the RCBS universal hand priming tool is . On more then one occasion I loved a tool at first only for it to quickly start to fail . Or the more often thing that happens is I use a tool I'm generally happy with it and for what ever reason try something else . Then realizing the old tool was quite poor but worked .

Example was my Lee trimmer http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud. I used that for a couple years and liked it . I then bought the Lyman universal case trimmer http://www.midwayusa.com/product/72...h-case-trimmer-kit-power-adapter-and-9-pilots
Holly cow what a superior case trimmer in every way . My point there is just because you're happy with what you use . Does not mean you wont be happier with something else and in some cases MUCH happier and better off . You just don't know what you don't know ;) I may very well end up using a bench mount priming tool finding it to be far superior then any hand primer . :)

RC20

First I am shocked at how almost Universal (pun) the RCBS universal primer tool is is per this group approval.

That's got to be a first. gun people are like (?) get 5 in a room and you not only have 5 views, they are all so deeply felt they will do all but kill each other proving it. So, the Earth Shook.

When I got my first press I tried the build in Primer tool, ugh.

I had a Lee, I think it was my brother that got me to looking at the Universals.

I have two now. One for large and one for small (so I don't have to change pins)

Per Metal God, I have been using mine for 3 or 4 years now and would not trade it for anything other than a new one.

GWS

First I am shocked at how almost Universal (pun) the RCBS universal primer tool is is per this group approval.

That's got to be a first. gun people are like (?) get 5 in a room and you not only have 5 views, they are all so deeply felt they will do all but kill each other proving it. So, the Earth Shook.

That is amazing isn't it?

I don't use that hand primer! Heh heh! Found one even better for me....
but then I use a Pro 2000 press with its APS primer system....

Oh, I use an RCBS Universal all right.....they make one for APS too! :) And it is indeed a sweet running machine!

IMG_0497.jpg

I reviewed that one in AR15.com https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/317450_Picture_Review_of_RCBS_s_Lastest_and_Greatest_hand_primer_tool.html

The picture shows one advantage over the tray version....you can prime 25 or less of one cartridge and change to another without having to plan ahead or empty a tray first. IOW's you can pull the rest of the loaded strip out and insert another....also the "tray" never empties.....you just snap the next strip on the end of the last and keep going. (assuming you bought pre-loaded APS CCI primers.)

You can break it....tho there's no tray weak spot....you don't want to pull the APS strips backwards! Little parts inside can break if you don't believe the RCBS directions. I didn't do that, having learned from "others" who once posted on the experience......so I haven't had to use RCBS's customer service....for this tool anyway.

Last edited:

oldscot3

+1 on the RCBS hand primer, mine's an older one that uses RCBS shellholders. I've been using it for years now.

I also have the RCBS bench mounted APS primer. I use it when I have a lot of cases to do in one sitting. The downside to it now, is that getting the primers already in APS strips is sometimes iffy. That means you need the strip charger also. Aside from all that, it really is a pleasure to use... very fast and reliable.

pete2

I used Lee And RCBS for many years the first Failed, the slot that holds the shell holder cracked, they will also wear out if not lubed but they both beat priming on the single stage press. Just watch to see that the primer doesn't flip upside down or sideways. I still use them for rifle.

KenT7021

I use a RCBS hand priming tool.No problems with the primer tray.It's the early version that never had one.No longer made unfortunately.

Heavy Metal 1

I have always ram primed on the press with the exception I found that I can prime 30-06 cases and others based on the same case dimension such as 8MM on my Lee Pro 1000 with the 45ACP shell plate set up. It is very fast and all primers are seated to the same depth. The speed is only limited by my coordination.

The ram prime always seats to the same depth too.

I can never understand why so many folks want to do that in their living room while watching TV. I want to keep all reloading mess confined to the garage and besides it gets me out to my man cave, "my happy place".

Metal god

"my happy place".

My grandson is 2yrs old and so far I/we never use words like gun or bullet . I use the terms cartridge , projectile ,case etc . Until he understands the concept of guns I'd rather not have him going around talking about grandpas guns and bullets . This way if he says something to a "anti" they likely wont put 2 & 2 together

My "gun room" is a spare bedroom in my house and one day my grandson kept saying he wanted to go in my bedroom . I said that's not my bedroom and he looked at me funny and said bedroom bedroom pointing at my "gun room" . So there I am think what am I going to call that room . BING the light bulb goes on and I say " that's my happy room" . Well that's all it took for him to repeat it over and over so that's the official name now and I have to say I think I wish I chose a different name . Sometimes It's a bit odd when someone asks what's your happy room ? :rolleyes: Really it's not what it sounds like :eek: It's just where I keep many guns and thousands of rounds of ammo :eek: hmm well that didn't sound any better :( Anyways still haven't worked that all out yet :D

axismatt

I used a Lee hand prime tool for a few years. It did it's job, but would make my hands ache after a few thousand rounds.

I switched to the Lyman EZ tool and it is really nice. It's smooth and curved so you don't get sore spots on your hands from the edges when squeezing. It also has much better leverage than the Lee. The first few cases, I had to check them to make sure a primer was seated, as it was so effortless to use.

I think I will also try the RCBS, as so many folks like them. But for the $35 the Lyman tool costs, it was money well spent.

Ben_Snow

Have the Lee Bench Prime, not a bad tool but could use improvements

Mine is mounted to a small board so I can move it around for loading and/or storage. Works great so far, but occasionally a primer will not fall into the proper position for crimping (perhaps 1-2 out of 50 will fall in sideways). I usually eyeball to ensure the primer is in place, aim the tool away from me, and press the handle.

The Plastic Primer Holder it kind of flimsy, it has a small switch to move from Closed-Open-Locked, but it doesn't close the load tightly even in the locked position. Have had primers spill out of the holder when trying to attach it to the tool after a refill, to prevent spilling I now tilt the tool at an angle and insert the older while keeping it horizontal.

RC20

I can never understand why so many folks want to do that in their living room while watching TV. I want to keep all reloading mess confined to the garage and besides it gets me out to my man cave, "my happy place".

Well its not a very exciting job, and I can watch the news and prime at the same time.

I'll pre load 100 to 200 cases.

No mess as my brass is clean and the primers are shiny clean.

Stray primer from time to time but I try to hunt those down.

lee n. field

I am helping a friend set up for reloading rifle.

I was going to recommend the Lee Priming tool, but it looks like they are into 4th generation of "improvements". The ratings for them are all bad !!

(I have 2 Lee priming tools from the 1980s that I still use to this day.)

So if Lee is junk, what is the best hand held priming tool out there now.

PS I hope you have actually used your recommended

Huh?

I have Lee's Ergo Prime. It's fine.

Are the complaints about the folding plastic primer tray? I do see complaints about that part. Following a tip on the Book of Faces I picked up RCBS' part 90202 ("RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool Replacement Square Primer Tray Assembly ") for the Loadmaster. It works fine there, and should on the hand priming tool.

Truth be told though, I normally prime on press. I got the Ergo Prime to troubleshoot a problem I was having with unreliable ignition.

Last edited:

ZenShot

I found that the RCBS hand priming tool works much better than the Lee Ergo Prime for small pistol primers. The Lee did work ok for larger primers. I would go with the RCBS, but you do have to use RCBS shell holders with it though.

SARuger

No one mentioned the Frankford Arsenal hand primer. I just got mine, its all metal, rugged, adjustable, easy on the hands and comes with the shell holders.

For about $50 from Cabelas

stevelyn

I have a Lee Ergo-Prime and couldn't be happier with it.

I can fill up the tray and prime a batch of cases in front of the tv rarely having to look down at the tool. I've had one primer go in sideways and one seat upside down.

Bayou

Here's the best one I've ever used. It worked so well, it's no longer in production. Very smooth with a great feel to the primer insertion.

Sometimes they come up on eBay. Called the RCBS Posi-Prime:

C7AR15

Lee ergo prime

A friend of mine has the Lee Ergo prime- he likes it ☺

If you look up the ratings for it, they are not great.

Amazon 127 reviews 5* - 49%/4*-14%/ 3* -7%/ 2*-11% /1*-19%

Midway 158 reviews 5*- 60/ 4*- 27/ 3* - 25 / 2* -13/ 1*- 33

Cabelas 106 reviews 5*- 58 4*- 22 3*- 7 2*- 9 1*- 10

Shimpy

I duplicated the original Lee tool in stainless steel with a tool steel shell holder for .222, .223, etc. back in the early 70's while benchrest shooting. I wouldn't use anything else.s The reason I did this was because I had 2 of the Lee tools handle break which were die cast (pot metal).