Hand Priming Tool

C7AR15

I am helping a friend set up for reloading rifle.

I was going to recommend the Lee Priming tool, but it looks like they are into 4th generation of "improvements". The ratings for them are all bad !!

(I have 2 Lee priming tools from the 1980s that I still use to this day.)

So if Lee is junk, what is the best hand held priming tool out there now.

PS I hope you have actually used your recommended :rolleyes:

RC20

I like the PS, how often does someone respond with no background to contribute?

I am using the RCBS universal.

It has spring lips so you don't need a shell holder (nice, very nice)

The only issue I have had with it is where the tray plugs into the tool is a plastic assembly and is wimpy.

Mine cracked. RCBS sent me almost an entire new tool

In the meantime I taped it up and its held for 4 years now. If I got a new one I would tape it up to start with.

The spare parts still in reserve

I love it, my hands are a bit arthritic and it seats to the sum -.003 or - .005 depth below the base.

I use the tray from the small primer one to hold one type of primer, the other ones another type and I have a third tray for the third type of primer on the way.

Plug and play!

surveyor

I don't know f it is the "best" but I use it anyway since I got it in a trade.
It is the rcbs one that uses standard shellholders.
They have changed the priming pins from the old style that can fall out to a new style that can't .

Great customer service, they sent me new plastic inserts for large and small primers and new priming rods.

Rangerrich99

I picked up a RCBS Universal hand priming tool last year. I'd give it 4.25 stars. It loses 3/4 of a star because the primer feed boxes are a bit fragile, and the trays need to be clipped to keep them closed tight.

But just the fact that you don't need to use shellholders is a bigger plus than you might first imagine. And the ergonomics of the priming action are better than any other priming tool I've used so far. Another nice feature is the primer stop tab that allows a person to set the thing down or even switch trays without worrying about primers spilling out of it.

319794.jpg

Metal god

I used the Hornady hand primer for years and fought that thing every time I used it . It was ok at first but the more I used it the worst it got . I had to make sure every primer did not flip when raising the ram . I also actually formed a callas on my finger after a few blisters using this tool . The blister would start in as little as 100 primers . The thing is I'm in construction and in no way do I have girly hands and I still got blisters at first . IMO total garbage tool .

Out of 100 cases this was starting to be the norm

LGZW77.jpg

TOTALY UNEXCEPTABLE

So I researched hand priming tools and really none seemed to have good ratings . Well the only ones everybody like had to be manually fed one at a time . Yeah , that's not anything I wanted to do . I wanted one that could hold many primers at a time and needed the least amount of work to use and change over to other sizes .

I ended up getting the RCBS Universal hand priming tool . OMG it's like using a Cadillac compared to my Hornady or as I call it now my Yugo . It takes maybe a 1/3 less effort to seat the primers and creates no wear and tear on the hands .

Granted I've only primed about 1k cases ( both 9mm and 45acp ) but have had zero issues . I have no complaints but do have a few concerns . Although I've not had an issue "yet" I agree that little plastic box thing the tray sits in is bound to be an issue at some point . The other thing that is ( not sure what to call it ) It's not a problem and so far not an issue but it does seem to be a little mushy at the top of the stroke . It does not have a hard stop once the primer is seated . The handle can still be squeezed down more and I'm not sure where that give is coming from . It's not crushing the primers so I'm assuming there is some internal give . That said you can feel the primer bottom out when seating . It's just you can keep squeezing the handle more closed after that .

All in all the RCBS Universal hand priming tool is the greatest thing ever invented . Well compared to my Yugo it is . There might be better but at this time I can't see how I'd be happier with anything else .

Last edited:

rodfac

I used Lee for 20 years or so, bought new ones when the levers broke, every two years...finally got sick of it and Lee's (send us the broken parts and we'll send you new ones) policy. Bought a Lyman with both primer size rams and have been fairly happy with it. If Lee quit using the pot metal, I'd still be using them. Too, the Lyman uses standard shell holders too, not the proprietary, unique ones necessary for the Lee unit.

My son has the RCBS type and I've tried that while visiting him...I find that the Lyman is easier for me to use. Best Regards, Rod

FrankenMauser

I've messed with most of the common tools. (Haven't had a chance yet with the new Frankford Arsenal or K&M tools.)
The Hornady tool is a hand and finger killer, with a primer-flipping problem.
The Lyman is uncomfortable to use and made in China.
The Lee tools are junk, in my opinion; and that is only made worse by the need for special shell holders that have stupid-loose tolerances so they can work with more cartridges. ("Jack of all trades, master of none; so I specialize in flipping primers and seating sideways...") The Auto Prime is also a thumb killer.

My vote would go for:

RCBS Universal Hand Prime

In my opinion, it is, by far, the best hand priming tool on the market.

I currently use the 'standard' RCBS Hand Prime, which requires shell holders. It works, and is far more ergonomic than most other brands.
But...:
Use the wrong shell holders, and it'll perform poorly. Lee shell holders, in particular, cause lots of problems (much like Lee shell holders in nearly any other application :rolleyes:).

The ram guides/inserts that slip inside the shell holder are a wear item and easily damaged with misuse. If you buy the tool, contact RCBS and ask for a spare set of each size/color (large/small ; black/white). My first set of "small" guides/inserts lasted about 2,500 primers before replacement. Subsequent sets and the large guides/inserts are all at 4k+ with no issues; but will eventually require replacement again.

With certain brands/styles of shell holders, the ram guides also need to be slightly shaved/sanded to fit inside the shell holder. Hornady and Redding shell holders tend to work well. But some Forster and Lyman shell holders don't play nicely; and few Lee shell holders work without tweaking. (I swear I'm not trying to bash Lee here -- it's just my experience with the tools.)

And, as RCBS warns in the instructions, improperly changing shell holders can result in a misalignment of the tool's handle, lever, and plunger. It's not a huge deal, and is very easy to reassemble correctly. ...But fairly irritating if you're in the middle of changing shell holders - which requires two hands plus a couple extra fingers - and suddenly need two more hands to fix the misalignment because you got lazy and let the lever down too far.

ed308

I prefer to prime on my press (650 or Iron Press). But for a couple of calibers I use the RCBS Universal Priming tool. No complaints. Does what it's suppose to do.

Reloader2

I used the RCBS hand held for all of my priming for many years. No issues with how it works as I don't find putting on a shell holder a big deal.
I purchased a Lee XR hand held a couple of years back. This was more out of curiosity than anything else. Mine is the older one with the square primer tray.
It did have some issues that took a while to get used to but after the learning curve I find it to be trouble free and use it to prime most of my pistol brass.
The primer tray on the Lee does a better job of flipping the primers.
The RCBS is more comfortable to use.
I've got an RCBS bench mounted primer tool and for me it seems I get a better feel with how the primers are seating with either one of the handhelds.
I've also used the Lee Safety prime system on the press and prefer to prime off the press.
If I only had one primer tool, it would be the RCBS hand held.
Might be better ones out there but of the ones I've used, it is a better all around tool.

Btw, the only brand of shell holders other than RCBS I've used with the RCBS hand held has been Lee. I've been lucky so far and have had no issues.
I've also not released the handle too far while installing a shell holder which is surprising because I'm normally a doofus when using anything with a moving part.
Also no issues with the plastic parts after 23 years with this tool but I can see where they would be the weak part of the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AzShooter

I use the Lee Hand Primer and am totally satisfied with it's operation and performance. I've never had a primer fail to load and they are all seated properly.

C7AR15

Thanks

I think I will go with the RCBS Universal hand priming tool.
It gets rave reviews at Amazon, while the New Ergo gets a 18% 1 star rating.

PS: What the heck happened to Lee? My 1990s Lee priming tools are still good.

Thanks for the input. I was almost going to get the Hornady:(

Reloader2

Well there are a couple of situations with my Lee that led to primer spills, but once I recognized what caused it I haven't had any more issues. I could use the Lee priming tool to do my priming and be fine with it. I just think the RCBS is more comfortable and a little stouter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobn

I have a thirty five year old lee. a recent lee and a hornady. both units from lee wok fine. the hornady is a pain. only certain shell holders work and to get them in place is also a pain. the nub on the clear lid broke. I drilled a hole clear through it and the black piece and plastic wing nuted it. that helps with some off the handling problems.....bobn

The old Lee with the round tray worked great until the pot metal arm broke.
The new "safer" Lee stinks. I use it occasionally but could reduce my stress level if I threw it away.
Based on the responses here I think I will try the RCBS.

robert1804

Another vote for the RCBS hand priming tools. I use the universal mainly for 38/357. It runs out of lever travel on some 9mm though. The older style that uses shell holders works for everything and is my favorite. With harder to seat primers like WW or S&B, the tube fed RCBS bench primer is outstanding!

mikld

I am not a fan of hand priming with any tool. I've used 4, owned three and none fit my hand, I would have to reset the tool in my hand every squeeze. I also found that if I didn't pay attention and was hurrying, I got sideways primers (like Metal God's pic). I had an old Lee press mounted tool (can't remember the name as Lee's tools seem to be "classic" or "auto" for a bunch of tools). It went with a messy divorce. I discovered a ram prime and used one for mebbe 15 years. Good positive feel and every primer was bottomed out correctly. Recently I purchased a Lee Bench Prime and once I read the instructions (!), I have had no problems with the nearly 2,000 cases I have primed.

I think hand primer tools are OK for experienced reloaders that are certain of the need to seat primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket, but new reloaders often have problems with primers not being seated correctly. I think if I were teaching a new reloader I'd have him/her load primers with a ram prime to get the feel and eliminate as many problems as possible (he can "speed up"his priming later)...

condor bravo

You and your friend might want to check out via the Internet the RCBS automatic priming tool. This is a bench mounted tool that operates from a different concept than the hand priming tools. It still operates by hand with a lever and the automatic feature is invaluable. Costs a few more dollars than hand tools. Comes equipped for both small and large primers and uses standard RCBS type shell holders.

T. O'Heir

Been priming on the press with the RCBS auto primer feed thingy for 40 years with no callouses forming or fuss. Never seen any advantage to using a hand priming tool.
"...made in China..." So's most everything else.