Hammerless vs exposed hammer snubs?

weblance

For a defensive revolver, I don't see a need for SA capability. Its a point and shoot tool, not a target, or hunting revolver. I also carry in a Kangaroo, and I don't need a spur catching on my shirt as I draw. I practiced drawing with my 44 Bulldog when it was my EDC and the spur would catch all the time. I swapped to a spurless hammer, and the Bulldog would glide out. I'm now carrying a 7 shot 357, and I chopped the spur off that revolver.

To the OP. IF you buy a spurred revolver, and decide you want to remove the spur, you can still shoot SA at the range, for accuracy testing. WITH THE GUN SAFELY POINTED DOWN RANGE, CAREFULLY start to pull the trigger, then catch the top edge of the hammer with your thumb, and cock it. There isn't a safe way to de-cock a revolver with a chopped spur, so if you do this, make sure you can fire the gun, to drop the hammer.

weblance

Doesn't Smith have one with a removable hammer spur so you can have it both ways?

I dont think S&W does, but Taurus has a Model 85 with a quick detach spur. You turn it 90 degrees and it comes off. It installs just as quickly.

Charter Arms offers spurless DAO hammers for all their revolvers that come with a spur. Its $20 and a simple 3 minute install.

tallball

I am a revolver guy. My HD handgun is a 4" 357. It has a hammer spur.

I prefer to carry a 38 or 44 snub. They are both spurless.

If I am in a SD situation, such as an attempted mugging, I need to draw and fire at close range without a spur that can get caught on clothing. I can fire DA plenty accurate enough for realistic SD distances - 20 feet or less.

For something sitting on my nightstand, I would just as soon have a hammer spur. For something in a pocket holster, I want spurless.

kcub

Here's a test you can do in the store. Dry fire in a safe direction such as the corner of the ceiling. Try it single action then double action. Those sights will jump off target when the trigger breaks double action.

lee n. field

What are your opinions on the matter? If you have a small J-Frame for potential pocket carry, would you prefer an exposed hammer or no? Would you prefer an option for Single Action? Or is Double Action Only good enough?

I have a preference, but not a strong preference, for hammerless. Single action option really isn't something I use.

dgludwig

QUOTE: "Hammerless is better for pocket carry....and for situations in which the hammer spur might snag clothing.

"However, I prefer them WITH exposed hammer. That way, I can shoot in single-action, when I want to do so.

"It's an individual choice. Simple as that."

I agree. Those who choose to carry a revolver in a pocket with an exposed hammer only need to remember (and practice) drawing the revolver with the ball of the thumb placed over the spur of the hammer. That said, I do prefer a revolver having a concealed hammer when carrying it concealed in a pocket. Less things to go wrong on the draw.

dahermit

Here's a test you can do in the store. Dry fire in a safe direction such as the corner of the ceiling. Try it single action then double action. Those sights will jump off target when the trigger breaks double action.
Please do not tell Jerry Miculek, Bill Jorden, Ad Topperwaine, etc., etc., etc., about that...I do not think they will believe you.

TBM900

Hammered snubs are going to be more eye appealing to most folks, but hammerless cannot really be beat in terms of practicality. Ive carried snubs for CCW most of my life. Im a bit of a snub-snob and always have been, I geek out over my collection of vintage Colts and Smiths, no way am I ever going to get one of those ugly plastic freak guns like the LCR......HECK NO!!!!!

Boy was humbled when I plunked down the cash for my first LCR after getting some trigger time. No its not going to win any beauty contests, but dang the thing is just prime for CCW and it is even a great shooter with its trigger system. I ate my own words to say the least, my Colts & Smiths are still my emotional favorites, but the LCR has been my daily CCW for years now.

Light, smooth, contoured, and great 'shoot ability', heck they are even priced nicely.
The very epitome of KISS

TBM900

Please do not tell Jerry Miculek, Bill Jorden, Ad Topperwaine, etc., etc., etc., about that...I do not think they will believe you.

Yup :)
Proper training and continued practice can quickly overcome the DA trigger.
Especially with a well engineered trigger as used revolvers like the LCR where you can quickly stage the trigger or even squeeze through DA completely.

One of the reasons for DA only is to reduce the risk of civil liability--a claim in civil court that, even though the defender contends that his or her shooting was intentional, that it was unintentional. Lower burden of proof.

Jim Watson

Once upon a time, I shot a bit of PPC; at the time they did not have the fear of a "civilian" shooting at a humanoid target and my honorary deputy's card got me all the way to the state championship.
I soon learned that DA was the way to go, although I had started out SA for the longer stages.

I have one of the M38 semihammerless revolvers KyJim likes but it is a challenge to cock that nubbin of a hammer. I just consider it functionally DAO.

turkeestalker

I'm going to have to go to my local gunstore and compare a few for myself. See which ones I like best. As much as I'd like it to be pretty, if I get another option for CC and it's a snub, then practicality will win out. Probably will go hammerless.
I think you're on the right track. Like I said, I do own spurred hammers for the 4 snubs I bought for possible carry. Firing in single action does allow you to see what the pistol is really capable of. But when I do carry one, it's got the spurless hammer in it. Hammer swaps are typically very simple and only take a couple minutes, sometimes finding a hammer to swap can be a real pain that takes diligence and patience (like with my two Ruger SP101s), but to me it's worth it. Again firing DA takes practice, just apply that same diligence and patience to practicing and you'll get there.

BigJimP

I'm not a "hammerless" gun fan...maybe its the looks that drives me nuts..

But for a carry gun ( revolver ) ...I would only train in DA anyway. I will carry a snubbie ( model 66-1 ) once in a while, but I will still carry it in an IWB Kramer rig. I have big hands...so the J frames just don't work for me...the K frame snubbie is as small as I'll go for a carry revolver.

Ozzieman

I would take a bobbed hammer over a hammerless. It allows you SA and DA where hammerless do not. Bobbed have the same advantage as a hammerless and not the disadvantage of being DA only.

Last edited:

Hawg

For any revolver and most semi's to not have a hammer for me is a deal breaker. Unless it was free, then I'd sell it.

bedbugbilly

I had a 357 LCR which of course was "hammerless". I treaded it in on the Smith Model 36 snub that I now carry . . BUT . . . I rarely carry it in a pocket and if I do, it's usually not very often as I prefer to carry OWB under a shirt tail or jacket. I also have a #" Model 36 that gets carried once in a while.

Personally, I like the ability to shoot both DA and SA but as others have mentioned, it is very important to learn to shoot DA. If I was going to do a lot of pocket carry, I 'd certainly give a hammerless, a bobbed or a shrouded hammer a close look.

And I'll add . . . while my LCR was a good revolver . . I hated the way it looked and felt. I've never regretted the change to my 36. Plus . . . I just prefer a good steel revolver and my 36 carries just as easy in a OWB holster tucked tight to the body.

pete2

The hammerless for pocket carry. You can learn to shoot double action, it does take practice, I also shoot an LC9 and I can hit with it out to 10-15 yards.