Hammerless vs exposed hammer snubs?

Lee6113

I don't really like the look of the hammerless revolvers like the LCR, and yet as I've considered picking up a J-Frame snub recently, I've been thinking of the benefits of having the hammer exposed versus not, and it seems for a snub like the LCR or a similar gun that perhaps it is better to have a hammerless pistol (i'm not sure if "hammerless" is the right term, but you get my meaning).

What are your opinions on the matter? If you have a small J-Frame for potential pocket carry, would you prefer an exposed hammer or no? Would you prefer an option for Single Action? Or is Double Action Only good enough?

Thanks for your upcoming comments!

Lee

AK103K

Ive had them with and without, and prefer the without.

Except for a couple of SA's I have, I shoot all my revolvers DAO, so the need for a SA notch is pretty much moot.

Not having that hammer spur to snag on things is a big plus, in a gun likely to go places snagging would be an issue.

turkeestalker

I carry a revolver daily because I personally prefer them over semi autos. That is not to say that semi autos are bad or that revolvers are better some how, it is simply a personal preference. Firing a revolver accurately in double action vs. single action is a skill unto itself and requires a good deal of practice to achieve, I know it does for me. Four of the pistols that I purchased with the thought of possibly carrying, I own a spurred and spurless hammer for with the ability to change them out should I choose.
My primary method of carry is using a Kangaroo Carry holster under a button up collared shirt. Drawing from one of these is not the quickest or the most convenient way to accomplish things but with practice is very effective. I personally believe that an exposed hammer spur would dramatically reduce its effectiveness. The speed and convenience with which you are able to draw your pistol will be reduced with the ability of the hammer to hang on clothing as you do. I've practiced both ways and that is a simple truth.
I don't really see much difference between pocket carry and my chosen method. There is just too great a likelihood that the hammer can and will hang on something and slow things down.

CajunBass

I own both and while I carry the one with the hammer, I gotta admit that the one without an exposed hammer is nice. (There are just other factors I like about the one I carry.)

JimmyR

In a small revolver, I think a hammerless (one without any external hammer) or a bobbed hammer (one in which the spur of the hammer has been removed) are ideal, as it does make carry methods other than strong side IWB/OWB more feasible. I prefer my hammer on my Model 65, but my 640 works better for deeper concealment.

I would not try to pocket carry a revolver with a hammer spur, because pockets just have too many obstacles to clear.

dahermit

The issue of "hammer spur or no hammer spur" on a revolver for concealed carry (only), is of particular interest to me. To my mind, it is not logical to have a hammer spur...it provides no legitimate function in that role.

Nevertheless, some will give it (the hammer spur), some nebulous attribute as, "for the occasional long shot". Which begs the question: Why would you be taking a "long shot", in a purely defensive scenario? If they say something to the effect of, "...in a hostage situation.", I would ask them: Would you really want some would-be cowboy hero shooting at a perp standing next to you holding a gun? In such pretend situations, they always see it from the perspective of them doing the rescue shooting, never from the perspective of being down range, on the bullet receiving end.

In short, if you carry a double-action for self defense, you should be skilled (via practice), enough and confident enough to use it as a double-action and leave the "saving a fair maiden" fantasies to the movies. Hammer spurs have no utility on a defensive revolver...other than an impediment to never learning to shoot double-action effectively.

wpsdlrg

Hammerless is better for pocket carry....and for situations in which the hammer spur might snag clothing.

However, I prefer them WITH exposed hammer. That way, I can shoot in single-action, when I want to do so.

It's an individual choice. Simple as that.

UncleEd

Although I shoot almost exclusively DAO in revolvers, I like the hammer with a spur.

Following Bill Jordan's advice, the spur allows me to pull back the hammer slightly with finger off the trigger and rotate the cylinder.

This practice shows me if the hammer is binding from a bit of grit under the star to whether there's a slightly high primer not easily seen or felt with a finger tip or if the cylinder is sticking for some mysterious reason.

It's a way of insuring six or seven or eight for sure.

Remember though, keep finger off trigger and only pull hammer back far enough to lower the cylinder bolt. Finger off the trigger. Should hammer
slip from grip, the rebound/hammer block will engage as long as trigger is allowed to ride forward freely. Finger off trigger.

springer99

Definitely go concealed hammer for pocket carry for many reasons, especially drawing ease. Can't imagine ever wanting to cock a hammer in a CCW scenario anyway. I do have exposed hammer revolvers, but they're not used for pocket carry.

kcub

I hate DAO, especially on snubs. Had one couldn't hit anything. A true belly gun because that's all you might be able to hit is your own belly.

Must have single action capability either with shroud or just cover with your thumb on the draw.

dannyb

I'll go with the shrouded hammer crowd for CC. I have both, and when I do carry a snub, it's the S&W Model 442. I practice with it fairly frequently. Even if I haven't practiced in a while, it's gotten to the point that I can keep most rounds inside the 9 ring of the B-27 reduced at 10 yards and most within the 10 at 5 yards. This is firing single hand from the draw.

Oddly enough, my wife - a beginner - prefers DA to SA. She just doesn't like light snubbies and prefers her 3" Model 60 loaded with 148 gr .38 special wadcutters.

Grant D

My wife and I have nine snubs and only one of them is hammerless, it's a model 442 Lady Smith that my she carries in her purse.

All the others I carry, and always in a OWB strong side holster.

I just don't have enough space in my front pockets to carry that way, but I do also carry a LCP in my back pocket as a reload.

The snubs are just to big to carry in a back pocket for me.

Screwball

I'd like to have SA capability, but far from a need... which is why I'm happy with my 642-1.

I converted it over to 9mm, which I was tossed up with that or switching over to a 9mm LCR. Trigger is very different between the two, but if there was a 9mm LCRx, I likely would have gone that route. I'd want something more than just DAO if I'm going to have to retrain on a gun that I'm already proficient with in a similar revolver.

With J-frame sized revolvers, training is big to be able to hit your target. All the years of shooting/qualifying with it made me comfortable with it.

Dave Chuppa

I only carry Snubs and they are DAO. With practice you can shoot a doble action about as accuratly as a single. Maybe not for foremal target shooting but for Self Defence shooting. I seam to do good at shooting paper plates within 50' anyway.

dahermit

Must have single action capability either with shroud or just cover with your thumb on the draw.
Be sure to practice drawing that way laying on the ground, being kicked in the head...now, remember to cover the hammer with your thumb as you draw. Sure...you will be alright.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I can only speak for myself, but I have done a lot of DA revolver shooting, mostly with guns that had a visible hammer that I didn't use. On my best days, with a Model 19, I could keep all my shots in 1-2 inches at 10 yards. Yes, it takes practice, but the idea that DA firing is "spray and pray" just doesn't hold.

Jim

Lee6113

I'm going to have to go to my local gunstore and compare a few for myself. See which ones I like best. As much as I'd like it to be pretty, if I get another option for CC and it's a snub, then practicality will win out. Probably will go hammerless.

Just another gun to add to my list... Lol

mkiker2089

Doesn't Smith have one with a removable hammer spur so you can have it both ways?

It really comes down to why you want a gun. The current mindset by many is that it's for defense. That's valid but also very unlikely. To me a gun needs to be fun to shoot also because to be honest our guns are really range guns. That said will you find shooting double action to be unpleasant. I say probably not. I want a DA and a SA both but I'd probably carry the DA.

KyJim

Get the best of both worlds -- a SW Model 38 or 638. It has a hammer with a spur but it is shrouded.

I sometimes carry my Model 38 Airweight in a pocket holster. No, I'm not going to take a 100 yard shot with it for defensive purpose but I might take one at 25 yards and My chances of hitting my target is greater in single action rather than double action.

That said, I'm seriously considering a Ruger LCR in 9mm. But that's mostly because it is 9mm.