Hair Trigger

Leejack

I love the hair trigger on my gun!

:eek::eek: :D

007.jpg

4runnerman

Brickeyee-- I do shoot benchrest and still would never think of having a trigger set that light. Trigger pull is something you learn not something you try to get rid of.

44 AMP

Staff
I feel, for certain guns, (and certain people) a light trigger is not an issue. But for most guns, most shooting (and most people) a trigger in the extremely light (2oz?:eek:) is not suitable and can be dangerous.

My pet Ruger Blackhawk, 7.5" .45 Colt, has a 12oz trigger. Thats right, 12oz. I did it, and I have been shooting that gun for 29 years without a single mishap, or malfunction. This set up certainly isn't for everyone, but it works for me.

I consider it safe, because I know the gun, and being single action, its never cocked until I want it cocked. I shoot it offhand, one handed, mostly, and at targets to 200yds. I don't always hit the small ones, but I miss pretty close.:D

I wasn't trying for 12oz when I was smoothing up the gun, I was just working for a good feel. I got it, and surprise later measurement said 12oz. Which is why I don't do trigger jobs for other people!:D

johnbt

My 1972 Single-Six Convertible came with a 2# trigger. That was one of the reasons I bought even though it was out of my price range back then. It wasn't until Lyman introduced their digital pull gauge that I discovered it was precisely 2 pounds and 1/10th of an ounce.

My father's 649-3 .357 has a single action pull of 2.25 and it feels like 1.0 because it's so crisp.

I have a Sako Finnfire with a Jewell trigger set at 1.49 ounces. I love Jewell triggers.

JT

brickeyee

I do shoot benchrest and still would never think of having a trigger set that light. Trigger pull is something you learn not something you try to get rid of.

Better have a talk with Jewel, and just about every benchrest shooter I have met.

You want as little force on the gun to fire as you can get, since it affects POI.

dabluesguy

OK--just watched another episode of "Have Gun Will Travel" just now and Paladin tells a fella his trigger pull is one ounce! It keeps getting lighter.

HighValleyRanch

According to all the information I have woefully gleaned from the internet, GLOCKS HAVE HAIR TRIGGERS TOO!:D:D:D
If Paladin were alive today, he would be carrying a glock!

I watch that series just about everyday, because I have the westerns on in my shop. I like his highly accurate derringer too!

I attended the NGB Coaches clinic where I met one of the coaches for the All Guard International Team. He told me if done properly, shooting a Free Pistol Match was as physical and mentally demanding as running a marathon.
I have shot Free Pistol and Air pistol competitions, national sectionals, etc.
Yes, they are grueling matches. Load one shot at a time. IIRC ten shots in twenty minutes. 60 shots total. Super concentrated shooting with talking in strings breaking up your concentration. Most shooters finished in around 12 minutes, but there was always a few that took the full time.

darkgael

Fp

Free pistol or 50 Meter pistol. The time limit for the match is two hours for sixty shots plus unlimited sighters. Outdoors, the target is 50 meters away.
As noted above, the match is fired in strings of ten. Historical note: This is the oldest Olympic shooting event dating to 1896; originally, the match time limit was 24 hours for sixty shots. The guns are remarkable. So are the shooters.
Pete

Last edited: