H&R Sportsman

BoomieMCT

I have a H&R Sportsman 999 and it is one of the last guns I'd sell or trade. I shoot it at least as well as my Smith Model 17. When I work at my folk's farm it is what is usually on my hip (for groundhogs and other varmints).

What people have said about the rear sight is true though - without loctitle it will wander and possibly fall out. With loctite it is a non-issue. Not sure what some people's issue with the trigger is - mine is fine.

SaxonPig

IMO (and it's only my opinion as I do not claim expert status on anything) the Sportsman is a medium quality revolver that is a lot of fun to shoot. But I am staggered by the recent asking prices on these. When they start to exceed the K frame target grade S&W revolvers in selling price it makes no sense to me.

I wanted one for a long time but there was no way I could bring myself to pony up $450-$500 as most were tagged. I saw this one at a local show and it has some serious finish issues but works fine. Tagged at $165 I offered $150 and took it home. IMO a nice one is worth $200-$250. But I am alone in this thinking.

standard.jpg

It shoots better than I do...

standard.jpg

popeye

It is crazy the way the .22's have gone up in price. I paid $110 for the mechanically sound but cosmetically challenged JC Higgens in my pic. The Sportsman is in much better shape and I paid $200 for it. I could not have justified in my gun budget paying much more for either one.

range_rider13

I have a Model 199 Single Action Sportsmen from 1933. My 7 year old grandson loves to shoot it and he is a much better shot with it than I was at 7. I would never part with it.

BoomieMCT

IMO (and it's only my opinion as I do not claim expert status on anything) the Sportsman is a medium quality revolver that is a lot of fun to shoot. But I am staggered by the recent asking prices on these. When they start to exceed the K frame target grade S&W revolvers in selling price it makes no sense to me.

I'm a decent shot but I've found my 999 is every bit as accurate as my S&W Model 17. The fact that the 999 has a thinner front blade helps me shoot it well. I shoot both revolvers better than my heavy barrel Ruger Mk2 and my friend's Browning Supermatic Trophy.

Just my $0.02.

Biff Tannen

To put simply, I feel these are just fun camping guns or plinkers.
Buy one if and only if the price is right and you just want a "fun gun".
For serious use, a more reliable gun, good customer service, and for more money, look at a more current name brand.
God bless!