H&K - Problem??

mes228

I spoke with a firearms instructor for Home Land Security this week. Apparently they are issued H&K's 9mm. I understood him to say they were having problems as the "take down pin" (which may also serve some other function ie slide stop/safety. I'm not familiar with them as I've not owned one). Would work it's way out during firing, and the pistol would disassemble. I also understood that H&K has updated the new ones but refuses to correct the ones already issued. Just a heads up and wondering if anyone else knows anything about this. I'd like to know particulars as I will probably get one someday to see if I like them. Could just be "hear say", however the Gentleman seemed well informed.

kalstrand

On my USP the slide release lever is attatched to the take down pin, but like pretty much every other pistol I have seen the slide has to be partially pulled back and held in a specific position to get the pin to come out.

B.N.Real

Some recent H&K's used by armories and fired alot have had failures of a specific part inside the gun.

Yea really generic I know but I can't remeber the name of that part.

Transfer bar-bar something.

Eh-the brain fails.

Last edited:

Cawdor

I have a USP 9 with almost 11,000 rounds through it, a USP 45 with almost 3,000 rounds, and a P2000 with almost 5,000 rounds. I have not seen the problem that you are describing.

If "take down pin" means slide release, mine are tight.

hoytinak

My USPc (older about 12 years old) has about 46K rounds through it and my P2000SK (a couple years old) has about 10K rounds through it (both 9mm) and I've never had a single problem with either.

I don't see how the slide release (takedown pin) could come out during firing as you have to pull the slide back about 1/2" just to line it up to the cutout on the slide to field strip it.

vox rationis

I don't see how the slide release (takedown pin) could come out during firing as you have to pull the slide back about 1/2" just to line it up to the cutout on the slide to field strip it.

exactly

HKFan9

yea that's pretty much impossible you need to take the slide back half way to line it up otherwise that pin does not move

Nanuk

The problem was reported that some shooters were *****ng the pin during firing. NOT A GUN PROBLRM, OPERATOR ERROR.

hightower

Nanuk The problem was reported that some shooters were *****ng the pin during firing. NOT A GUN PROBLRM, OPERATOR ERROR.

is that a new form of limp wristing:confused:

Jason_G

:confused:I'm guessing this is only happening with lefties then? I don't see how else one could push the pin out during firing, as it would have to be pushed from the right side of the pistol.

Jason

Sam06

I thought the DHS was going with this for their Standard Weapon:D

th_dsc04980butsmallerzr4.jpg

Chui

Nothing is impossible. I have shot pistols that had the slide stop began to back out. They were well-used range guns and, NO, I was not pushing on it. I notice that on the P30 the slide stop is captured...

mes228

H&K

Perhaps I've not described the problem correctly. The H7K is about the only pistol left I haven't owned so I may be incorrect with the description. I understood a pin was coming out (the takedown pin??) of the pistol during firing. I do believe the man was truthful though. As he had a "partner" with him and he corroborated the story. They had just come from the range where he was shown by demonstration the problem. He had a HK .45, the .45's do not have the problem. The problem was that H&K was being hard to deal with. They upgraded/fixed the new ones coming in. But had refused to handle the ones in house which I believe was many.

HorseSoldier

I thought Homeland Security used SigSauer P229's in .40 cal?

They have contracts with both Sig and HK for a few different models from each company.

Edit to add -- I'm not familiar with the reports of problems, but would +1 the possibility that someone has noticed a breakage or wear issue with training guns that clock high round counts and pass through a lot of hands.