H&K Jamming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Malice

To the OP. I STRONGLY suggest that you go to http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/ and let them know of your problems and that you think your HK is a POS. They will provide you with good feedback for your issues.

LOL. Come one, man... no trolling here. :p

FYI Gahaha, if you follow those suggestions, they won't be as polite as we were... I promise. I'm a member over there, as well. ;)

It's certainly a good idea to come on over there and let them know about your experience, especially after you've spoken to HKCS. Good luck!

CPO15

Word to the wise: don't be rude when you call CS, keep your anger and frustration in check. Let them know you're asking for their help.

Last edited by a moderator:

gbclarkson

Even top of the line companies, in every industry, occasionally let a dud off the production line. HK's hundreds of worldwide military and police contracts confirm the quality and reputation of the brand. Contact HK. They will make it run like an HK.

dsk

So I take it all your malfunctions were stovepipe jams? Three things to keep in mind:

1. US-made 9mm FMJ ammunition is notorious for being underpowered. HK pistols are designed to be run with hot duty-grade ammo and have fairly stiff recoil springs as a result.

2. Never run a new gun out of the box without giving it a good cleaning and lube first. Guns are shipped with preservative oil which has normally dried up by the time they're sold, and given the tight fit of all the parts in a new pistol you're just asking for trouble if you don't run it wet during the first range visit.

3. Given 1 and 2 above, if the pistol is limp-wristed it will exacerbate the problem. A lot of guys say they shoot all the time and don't limp-wrist, but I've watched a few and can say their arms and wrists were not locked. Once the break-in period is over a quality pistol shouldn't jam when limp-wristed, but don't be surprised if it's sensitive before then.

And to add to what others have said, even HK's products aren't immune to defects. Most European gun manufacturers do test-fire and target their guns before shipping (unlike many American gun manufacturers who sometimes don't even test-fire), which is why the end user usually gets a quality product right out of the box. However slip-ups do happen. If they didn't HK wouldn't even bother having a service department.

Gahaha

1. People tell me they feed their HK all sorts of crap and they run fine.

2. I cleaned it before shooting.

3. Trust me...I don't limp wrist. I can fire quickly and accurately with similar guns, of same weight.

4. This may be the case.

ninjarealist

On the subject of limp-wristing, let me just say that because it was my first pistol I've limp-wristed my USP .40 compact many times, badly, with crap ammunition, on a used gun with a fairly beaten-up frame. Never had a failure as a result. Maybe the fact that the gun is so heavily used contributes to how smoothly it runs.

One time I flinched so bad that, although my hand was extended, the gun itself was angled all the way up towards the ceiling. I remember that moment to this day because it still gives me chills when I think about how close I came to dropping the gun that time. It was foolish, but a valuable lesson at least. The next round fed perfectly nonetheless.

In about 1000 rounds of mostly bottom-of-the-barrel reloading ammo (including reloaded nosler JHPs) and bargain winchester FMJ, the only stovepipe I've been able to produce has come from firing the gun when it was over-lubricated. Mind you, I still used the gun for close to 200 rounds that session and only had two stovepipes, but those are the two failures the gun has ever produced while I've owned it.

It's a 2001 model if that makes a difference.

I'm not in anyway saying this to take away from what Gahaha is saying in this thread, but I'm just sharing my experiences to perhaps explain why I and others are so surprised by Gahaha's experiences. Maybe I've just been lucky to have received an exceptional specimen, but my experiences have been so emphatic that it I've become a true believer in HK polymer pistols, a belief that has been bolstered by the opinions I've read on the internet.

Again, not discounting your experiences. I hope you get your issue resolved and I'm sorry for your bad experiences. I bet everyone on this forum has purchased a defective gun or two (probably even far more than that for some of you :D)

Gahaha

A friend of mine has a 9mm Kimber, which we all know the horror stories with 1911 in 9mm. He's been firing guns for longer than I have, and his kept jamming on him. When he called Kimber CS they blamed it on the exact same issue. After much hassle Kimber finally takes the gun fixing it a portion at a time and after being back and forth so much he finally sold it at a loss.

Is this the same sort of thing I will have to go through with HK? Will I have to drive to them and shoot in front of them to prove I'm not limp wristing? I mean the gun jams 5/10 rounds...Stove piping and FTF constantly.

TunnelRat

Is this the same sort of thing I will have to go through with HK? Will I have to drive to them and shoot in front of them to prove I'm not limp wristing? I mean the gun jams 5/10 rounds...Stove piping and FTF constantly.

Remember when I said this?
you can either deal with it as a responsible adult or continue your tirade that certainly doesn't help you.

Yup it still applies. Call them tomorrow and find out. Similar to how shooting it found out the issue faster than complaining about it in the thread.

Nathan

Gahaha said:
Come on...my Springfield eats anything, has jammed maybe twice...

It's definately you. No way your XD jams! Ha ha!!! Can you make a Glock jam?

Just throwing a little humor at you. I understand that frustration. I hope HK does you right. Keep us posted.

PSP

I suggest you let an experienced shooter to test your new HK to see if the problem occurs again. A box of your favorite practice ammo may save you some time and expense down the road.

Using factory ammo or reloads?

I've never heard of a new HK having the problems you describe. The USP is a time tested model with a reputation for extraordinary reliability. But anything is possible.

WGB38

Remington doesn't make a golden saber JHP 115 grain load the 9mm saber loads are 124 and 147 grain loads.

Riding the slide comes to mind, but did you visually check the feed ram and chamber mouth for burrs before trying to chamber rounds or after you had issues?

AustinTX

I've never heard of a new HK having the problems you describe. The USP is a time tested model with a reputation for extraordinary reliability. But anything is possible.

I think I've heard complaints about problems with a new pistol from every single brand on earth at this point. This stuff happens with any brand on occasion.

My very own .45 USP Elite has choked on a significant number of the 400 rounds I've put through it, both FMJs and SD JHPs of various types, for a failure rate of ~6%. Almost entirely failures to feed, with the round jammed hard against the bottom of the feed ramp.

The build quality of the pistol is evident, nonetheless, and I'm pretty confident that HK will be able to make it right without having to tear down and completely rebuild the gun.

jr24

Reason for my concern before shooting the gun is I own a Kimber 1911 and Springfield XDM 3.8, both guns have been through thousands of rounds and I can literally rack a round on both of them in the middle of the night and no one would hear me.

Why is everyone assuming the OP is not an experienced, or at least practiced shooter?

davem

Well, if you know what "limp wristing" is and you shoot other semi-autos, then that ought to be ruled out. The "Limp" is reducing the ability of the gun to re-cycle another round. The ammunition you are using is all standard stuff. It should be working okay.
I'm wondering if there is some sort of trouble with the spring being defective, under powered, or a manufacturing bur is impeding its operation; or, if not the spring then the linkage is gummed up.
This would relate to the stove pipes.
If the gun is also jamming on feeding a new round, I usually think first about the ammo being wrong or the lips on the magazine off but two magazines producing the same result would make me look elsewhere. Once again you are using standard loads- should not be a problem. If the spring is weak or not functioning or the linkage is gummed up and under powering things- might cause the trouble- I'm not sure.
I'd call the manufacturer. Something is wrong. That gun has a good reputation for quality but nothing is infallible. :cool:

Before sending your gun back to HK, try ordering a lighter recoil spring. It's a $5 part, and if it's the cause, it should get you back in action much quicker than sending it back.

If the recoil spring is too heavy, the slide moves back with less force than usual. This could mess up the timing and cause the shell casing to eject more softly, causing a stovepipe - especially of shooting low-powered target rounds.
Why is everyone assuming the OP is not an experienced, or at least practiced shooter?
I have to confess - that was exactly my impression when the OP talked about oiling the feed ramp and slowly riding the slide forward to test feeding.

Co Th G

The OP reeks of being a rank amateur when it comes to firearms. Always blaming the firearm for being the problem. Even one with an impeccable reputation for reliability (HK). The problem is most likely operator error. Either by improper shooting technique and/or using crappy ammo.

The OP reeks of being a rank amateur when it comes to firearms. Always blaming the firearm for being the problem. Even one with an impeccable reputation for reliability (HK). The problem is most likely operator error. Either by improper shooting technique and/or using crappy ammo.
Every gun from every manufacturer can and will have its share of mechanical breakdowns from time to time. Glock Gen 4's had recoil spring and extractor issues. The Springfield XDs was recalled. Sig 1911's had all kinds of problems. HK's are not immune, and we shouldn't automatically lay it all on the hands of the user just because the gun has a couple magic letters in front of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.