H&K 10mm squeeze cocker?

Chuck Dye

Some years ago I heard that Heckler&Koch builds the P7 squeeze cocker in 10mm but H&K USA does not import it for some unknown reason. I have not been able to track it down. Do the guns exist? Is there a grey market source in the US?

Sloan441

No, no 10mm's, P7 or otherwise from HK.

There was a P7M7 prototype in .45 ACP. Some controversy over this gun. HK would parade it around at trade shows and say here it is, though we're not going to make it...

Odd, to put it mildly.

Bill Siegle

HK did make some 10MM MP5s for the FBI but I don't think I'd want a 10MM in a P7 package at least not with anything full power. I wonder how much gas would have to be bled off to resist the slide. Definitely make for a warm grip :)

Sloan441

Well, if HK were to do such a thing, it'd probably be on the P7M7 frame. That was a sizable pistol, much larger than the 9mms.

It used a oil buffer like the P7K3 to retard the slide blowback, rather than the gas. So no worries about toasted fingers.

A moot point, since it will never happen.

Zundfolge

I read something a while back that said that several gun manufacturers refered to the .40S&W as 10mm Kurtz when it first came out because they didn't want to put Smith & Wesson's name on their guns.

I've seen a few shooters (most of which are 10mm fans) also call the .40 10mm Kurtz or 10mm short.

Southern Raider

I am reasonably sure that HK made no such thing, even as a prototype. However, I have heard of "gunsmith customs" in 10mm. i have no info as to numbers or durability.

Sloan441

There were some rumors that when the USP45 came out there would be a 10mm version following.

Of course, 10mm isn't exactly popular, so after the 1006 and Glock20 tanked, no surprise HK didn't bother with one.

The USP45 I do think would make a good 10mm pistol, but really 10mm doesn't do anything the .45 ACP can't, so no real point, other than variety. My guess is variety doesn't sell enough pistols for HK to get excited about it.

lonegunman

From the company websites:

Corbon's highest energy 45 ACP is the 165g +P JHP. Velocity is 1250 fps, and it has 573 ft/lbs of energy.

Winchester's Silvertip in 10 mm is a 175g JHP, velocity is 1290 fps, and energy is 649 fps.

I also have some Georgia Arms 180 g JHPs with a velocity of 1350; dont know what the energy is, but it would be more than 650 ft/lbs.

So the 10mm can throw a heavier bullet faster, and with more energy than the 45 ACP. The 10 mm is the most versatile auto cartridge out there, whether you like it or not.

Gary H

H&K decided that it needed to really beef up the slide to keep the P7M10 happily eating .40. I'm not sure that they would want to use a similar design in the more powerful 10mm.

Sloan441

My problem is that I don't buy the argument that kinetic energy is the be all and end all of rating a cartridge's effectiveness.

Whether it's a 10mm 180gr at 1250fps or a .45 185 at 1150fps, I doubt a, say, groundhog shot with it would know the difference. For all practical purposes, this is the same round.

Then there's the matter of going up in bullet weight. There simply is no 10mm bullet comparable to 250gr .45 slugs. It's not that hard to get 900fps from these bullets in .45ACP.

You could probably make an argument that the 10mm has a slight edge in trajectory. Then again, I've shot both at 100yds, and it's not THAT much different, assuming relatively fast loads in both. Yes, the 10mm (and 9mm for that matter) shoot a little flatter.

I just don't see any practical difference in them.

buzz_knox

If I'm not mistaken, the P7M10 was originally intended as a 10mm, but was redesigned down to .40 when that caliber became the rage. The owner of www.ammolab.com has mentioned doing a 10mm conversion on the P7M10, that involved joining two frames together.

agtman

"900fps from a .45acp ..."

From Texas Ammo: a 10mm/200gn Hornady bullet (FMJ-FP or XTP/HP - your pick) @ 1250fps (694ft-lbs).

That's out of a 5" barrel. Out of a Glock 20 using the factory 6" hunting barrel, add another 125fps and it's well over 700ft-lbs. :eek:

Sorry, I like the .45, but as the phrase goes, "cain't touch that." ;)

:cool:

blades67

Of course, 10mm isn't exactly popular, so after the 1006 and Glock20 tanked, no surprise HK didn't bother with one.

Just when was it that the Glock 20 tanked?:rolleyes: Sloan441, you should check your facts before firing off drivel.