Guys that use an MSR to hunt...

ed308

If the shot is longer than the 200 yard limit of the 6.8, I should have brought a BIGGER GUN.

200 yard limit? People are taking rams in Tx out to 400 yards. Not that I would personally take that shoot.

I love the 6.8. Bought my first back in 2012 and thats what I usually take when I hunt. The 270AR is my first experience with a wildcat. But it may be my last for the reason stated above. Making the brass ain't easy and it's certainly not inexpensive. The 270AR and 7mm Val have so much potential for the AR15 frame. Hopefully one or both will be a common caliber at some point in the future. It's happening with the .277 Wolverine.

stagpanther

I'm currently working up some loads for a 458 socom AR I just built--I'm starting to scratch my head when trying to figure out why I need to be firing the equivalent of a 45-70 out of a light weight semi auto carbine.:D

dean1818

"6.8 a 200 yard bullet"

BAH! - Study up my friend........

There are some excellent bullets for the 6.8

I run a 120g SST 6.8 for Pigs here in Texas

I call it my DRT bullet (Dead Right There)

I have had only one pig take a further step when I hit it
(It went like 10 yards then dropped)

All others were dropped on the spot

I would have zero issue taking a 300 yard shot with that bullet
from my 16 inch Bison Armory 6.8

This factory loading on this bullet drops below 1000 ft/lbs at 275 yards and is around 935 ft lbs at 300 yards.

I run my handloads a bit hotter than than the factory loads, so my distance is even better than that

I have looked at different wildcats as something to play with, but
will probably just get a 20 inch 6.8 to move the distance out a bit further

Last edited:

dean1818

The only true wildcat that has my interest is the 358 yeti

If they could get a bullet with a little better BC, that would truly be a
game changer.

The bullets at that size are typically built for lever guns

stagpanther

The only true wildcat that has my interest is the 358 yeti

If they could get a bullet with a little better BC, that would truly be a
game changer.

The bullets at that size are typically built for lever guns
I load for a 358 win--there are certainly some "long pointy" bullets available in 358. You may also want to look at the 375 socom--I probably should have gone that way rather than the 458.

dean1818

The long pointy bullets wont fit in a cutdown 308 parent case

I did some rough ballistics numbers on the yeti, with the speeds they are currently seeing from a 180g bullet, and IF.... a BIG IF.....

If there was a bullet that could get to .4 BC, this would be a 500 yard gun
(1k ft/lbs)

If this could be done and One specialty bullet manuf, said that he was looking into it)

Nothing like that in an AR15 wildcat

The 6.5g gets out there too, but doesn't have the punch (not even close) at 10-300 yards
("Normal" :) hunting distance)

I think this round has the potential to be an AR15 game changer

Mobuck

"On first impression, it seems to me that as a round with a case head the same size as .308 Winchester, it would be more appropriate to an AR-10 platform than an AR-15 platform."

Just another idea about making an AR 15 something it isn't.

CarJunkieLS1

The long pointy bullets wont fit in a cutdown 308 parent case

I did some rough ballistics numbers on the yeti, with the speeds they are currently seeing from a 180g bullet, and IF.... a BIG IF.....

If there was a bullet that could get to .4 BC, this would be a 500 yard gun
(1k ft/lbs)

If this could be done and One specialty bullet manuf, said that he was looking into it)

Nothing like that in an AR15 wildcat

The 6.5g gets out there too, but doesn't have the punch (not even close) at 10-300 yards
("Normal" :) hunting distance)

I think this round has the potential to be an AR15 game changer
In the 7mm Valkyrie we are shooting 150 grain Bergers and even 168 grain Bergers...this pointy enough lol BTW we are doing it with a max COAL of 2.295 :)

The 7mm Valkyrie sounds interesting enough, but personally, Grendel is about as close to a wildcat cartridge as I want to come. I like the idea of 6.5 Creedmore performance from a AR15 platform, but it is going to have a lot more recoil. Part of the appeal of the 6.8 spc and the 6.5 Grendel is that we aren't dealing with such recoil.

I don't know about this silliness either of 6.8 spc only being a 200 yard gun. Certainly the Grendel isn't. While my longest attempted shot and long successful shot are only 362 yards (GPS), the hog did drop dead on the spot.

Now, maybe if I was doing some far west Texas speed goat hunting and wanted a lighter platform, the Valkyrie might be night, but then again, I might just go with a simple bolt gun and be a whole lot lighter.

ed308

On first impression, it seems to me that as a round with a case head the same size as .308 Winchester, it would be more appropriate to an AR-10 platform than an AR-15 platform.

Thats the whole point..., getting as much performance as possible out of the AR15 frame. The advantage? More performance via a lighter package.

The 270AR and 7mm don't have much more recoil than your Grendel or a 6.8.

Hmmm, for the Valkyrie...500 fps faster with a bullet 3 grains lighter, more than 700 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle (>41% over Grendel), and not much more recoil? Not really buying it.

ed308

My 270AR and a Savage .308 bolt rifle I own don't have muzzle breaks. The recoil from the .270AR isn't even close to the .308 IMO. Maybe the design of the AR reduces it. But didn't help reduce it with my AR10 which is also a .308. Muzzle brake solve that problem.

dean1818

I should have said "SOME" pointy bullets wont fit BECAUSE of the smaller
case size allowed for the AR15

I would also add, I start to lose interest when I have to "neck turn" a case
on a Wildcat

I have cut down 30-06 brass and then resized to make brass for my 8MM Mauser........... Very easy

Neck turning seems much harder (I havent done though)

So...... All in ALL, keep your eye on the 358 Yeti. It is already showing great promise, as they are getting the right powder combination down.

They are getting 2600 fps on a 180g bullet from a 16 inch barrel - Thats a full punch

The brass is 308 parent.

I hope it takes off

stagpanther

I should have said "SOME" pointy bullets wont fit BECAUSE of the smaller
case size allowed for the AR15

I would also add, I start to lose interest when I have to "neck turn" a case
on a Wildcat

I have cut down 30-06 brass and then resized to make brass for my 8MM Mauser........... Very easy

Neck turning seems much harder (I havent done though)

So...... All in ALL, keep your eye on the 358 Yeti. It is already showing great promise, as they are getting the right powder combination down.

They are getting 2600 fps on a 180g bullet from a 16 inch barrel - Thats a full punch

The brass is 308 parent.

I hope it takes off

Buying American made, wherever I still can
I think it's a great development--but when I look at their load charts I can't seem to find their pressure trace info--and some of their results seem to be derived from initial testing on savage bolt gun actions. My attitude about newer wildcats is generally "looks great--you go first." :D

CarJunkieLS1

As far as neck turning goes...you can buy already done and ready to load for all of the Wildcats that Mad Dog and Bruce Finnegan sell.

And the Valkyrie neck turning becomes a non issue if you buy 6mm Dasher brass it does not require neck turning.

I can 100% tell you that velocities listed for load data and barrel length are real world numbers. The data and velocities listed are from "testers" that have current production barrels. Also I have seen or heard of NO issues with over pressure when following the load data sheets for each round.

stagpanther

Also I have seen or heard of NO issues with over pressure when following the load data sheets for each round.
I'm sure that's true--but the claim is made on the MDW site that they are pressure tested--so I would like to see that data. Just because they have unofficially been "tested in the wild" without blowing anyone up so far doesn't quite give an accurate pressure picture. Those who are running their loads warm--which I'm guessing is probably what they're doing if they are getting 7 08 performance--how much room do they have for the particular depth of seating? How much will the pressure spike with a bullet set-back? Having blown up an AR myself--those are things I think about. Just because there are no pressure signs--doesn't mean that the cartridge might not be running in the red--or spike into there easily with a slight misfeed. I freely admit this is all pure conjecture on my part and I may be completely wrong and the cartridge may in fact be adopted as the ultimate new carbine by the armed forces eventually--but there are certain "unknowns" that I would think need to be a little more "fleshed out" before launching a full-court press media blitz that the next better slice of bread has arrived. ;)

CarJunkieLS1

For load data it was ran with a pressure test system and quickload. The parameters in quickload were tweaked to match the pressure and velocity that was being achieved while testing. The load data sheets do not show the pressure for each load, but I'm 100% sure that there is a chart somewhere showing the pressure curves for each load shown, I've seen it myself.

As far as kaboomimg an AR that is why it is extremely critical to follow the load data exactly all the way down to the primer...start low and work up slowly definitely applies. The ARP 800 series bolts have been tested to over 70,000 psi and have NOT failed. They are a proprietary bolt and extension designed to specifically hold up to the pressure and bolt thrust of these high performance rounds.