Gunzines fake new Sig P210 tests

Wild Romanian

As most of you already know there will soon be for sale new Sig P210 pistols. None have arrived as of yet in this country. The Gun Magazines already have run articles on this pistol. If you look at the pictures of the new pistols on the internet and then look at the pictures of the pistols in the gun magazines you will see that they are showing you pictures of the old models that were last imported about 2 years ago. The new models will have stippled grips and the ajustable sight model will have an american style side magazine release. Now look at the pictures in all the gun magazines. You will see that they are the pictures of the old models. The pictures show checkered grips and a bottom magazine release on the ajustable sight model. The shooting test results were obviously done with the old models not the new models.
You would think that with the popularity of the internet that the gun writers would have come to realize by now that they can no longer hoodwink the public like they could back in the old days. Their less than accurate reporting (a polite way of saying that a large percentage of them are all damn liars) can no longer be given any credence.
The big question will be , will the new models have the fine fit and finish of the older models and will the new models be made of hand fitted forged frames and slides or will the new models be made of cheap castings. The gunzines are not saying of course. Hopefully Sig-Neuhausen will not stupe to this. We will have to wait and see. W.R.

HankB

So what else is new?

The gunzines use stock photos and recycle old articles all the time - I suspect this is often done buy editors who have no knowledge or interest in guns. Just a couple of issues ago American Handgunner ran a piece extolling the virtues of Makarovs, with pix of SIG's at the top of the column.

KSFreeman

You're upset that the gunrags lie to you? Does anyone believe the fiction the gunscribes write? Consider the source. Most (not all) gunwriters have little experience with firearms ("I shot a can out on my farm") and editors have even less. Articles are printed on what they perceive the market (us) to desire.

The latest issue of American Handgunner features a mall ninja brandishing an HK54 WITH NO MAGAZINE (must be from a Kalifornia department)!!!

Fortunately, there is an easy cure--the market (us). Write the gunrags and tell them that you are feed up with their silliness. As well, tell them you demand articles by people who know what they are talking about and praise those who do.

Walt Sherrill

I'm not sure you've been lied to...

The new models (note "NEW MODELS") will have the features you mention, but as far as I know, the existing models will continue to be made, just as they were in the past.

The new P-210-8 has the American-style mag release, but the new P-210-2s, like those featured in the article, won't be different. That gun was priced at $1600+, and the newer models with the extra features will easily double that figure.

(I have a P-210-6, basically the same gun with a "match" trigger, and it is a wonderful gun. But the sights are a pain, fast mag exchanges almost impossible, and you can slice yourself on the sights when trying to do fast exchanges, grabbing the slide, etc. And some folks have a problem with hammer bite. I had to take a Dremel to the front sides and corners of the rear sights to make them less dangerous to this shooter.)

My P-210-6 came with a proof target showing about 1 1/4" group at 50 meters (55 yards); the best the gun tester in the magazine could cosistently do was about 1 1/2" at 25 yards. Kinda makes me wonder about his Ransom Rest techniques.

VictorLouis

Combat Handguns reviewed the NEW version available with the Ameican release. The photos are nice, but the price IS NOT!

jtduncan

The only 9mm handgun worth a $1,000 is NOT a Sig P210. It's an HK P7.

And who cares what the rags say? They're like RECTUMS, full of crap :barf: - biased through and through to the advertisers.

Just ask the gunsmith who fixes the guns on the rental bay. they know what the good guns are!

Walt Sherrill

Hey JTDuncan...

I'll bet its a rare gunsmith that has ever worked on a P-210... And the same probably holds true for the P-7.

I know several busy gunsmiths who have never seen one in their shop. (One of them, who is also a highly ranked IPDA shooter, had NEVER EVEN held one, until he shot mine.)

The the H&K P7 is a great gun, comparable in many respects to the P-210 (in terms of accuracy), but it has a reputation for getting gamey after about 50-60 rapidly-fired rounds, as it heats up. I know several guys who had them and sold them because of that. (That and the unconventinal manual of arms...)

You can shoot a P-210 all day long (if you can afford it) with no problems with reliability, etc.

bad_dad_brad

I would love to fall into a SIG 210 someday. But only for fun. The practical world says a Glock is the everyday choice. Of course, we would all like our mistress to be above the everyday. Glocks, like a good wife, are dependable and a sure thing, but a SIG 210 would be something special. Sigh!

Saying all that, I think a BHP would make a great girl friend. A bit high maintenance, but fun! Women and guns, got to love em!

Don't be so paranoid about Gunzines. Of course, do your homework. But by in large, I have found, that price is usually the most telling. You buy cheap you take a chance, but pay a little more, and you probably get what supply and demand dictates, which usually, in a capitalist society, gives you the best product.

jtduncan

Walt:

You're right the P7s do heat up. That's why you have two of them to alternate or grow a thicker skin. or wear a thin leather glove during long training sessions.

The manual of arms confuses most shooters anyway. and when they can't shoot 1" groups at 25 yards like many seasoned P7 shooters, they dump the gun. I saved $550 buying a used PSP, with three mags, gun and mags all hard chromed by MetaLife. Beautiful.

I've shot two different P210's. My PSP and my P7M8s shot better groups and were just as accurate and more concealable.

The Sig P210 is basically a Berretta 92 in size with a heavy target barrel and wooden grips. The big problem is that its not ergonimically designed so a good third of the shooters get bit by its hammer.

blades67

My PSP and my P7M8s shot better groups and were just as accurate and more concealable.

How can your PSP and my P7M8s shoot better groups but still be just as accurate as the P210?

I'm not breaking your balls here, I'm just trying to understand what you meant.

Walt Sherrill

Hey, JTDUNCAN...

If you shot a P-210 that was the same size as a Beretta 92, then you didn't shoot a P-210. (One of the reasons I got rid of my 96, which is the same size as the 92, was that it was SO MASSIVE!)

While the P-210 is nearly the same overall length (215mm vs. 217mm for the Beretta), its much narrower, less high, and easier to carry. The Beretta weighs 975 grams, while the SIG is 900.

The P-210 is roughly the same size as a Browning HiPower -- I use the same holster for both of them -- and both seem almost "delicate" along side most handguns and are dwarfed by my custom 1911...

The P-7 **is** a better weapon for concealment -- but we weren't talking about concealment.

wakal

P7's

When I went through LFI-1 a few years back, the ONLY guns that malfunctioned on the line (some repeatedly, most requiring the attention of the H&K Armorer that happened to be there) were the P7 series.

So sorry, they are pretty slick but after watching four of them break (repeatedly) over the course of a mere 300 rounds stretched over two full days, you can keep them.

For the same money, you can pick up a P226 with a ton of ammo and run all day long.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

Alex

BigG

Oh, my! P7 heresy. What will the dweebs say! :eek:

HK = expensive junky overweight overpriced JMHO Ask me about my PSG1 shoot. *cough, cough* :barf:

VictorLouis

Wakal,

it's strange that you mention the P7 in conjunction with Masaad Ayoob's LFI course. In his book,"The Semi-Automatic Pistol In Police Service and Self-Defense", he asserts the P7 as THEE most reliable autoloader extant. His example was nearing 5K rounds, IIRC, before he chose to clean it, W/O A FAILURE. That makes me wonder what sort of ammo those P7 shooters were using when you were in class.

Now, you can berate the P7 due to its cost, unique MOA, weight, heating up, or whatever. I've just never heard anyone accuse it of having reliability issues.:eek:

wakal

P7

Factory hardball, if memory serves.

Drop Mas a line and ask him, he should remember the first LFI class he ran in Hawaii. Pretty nuts...just like the Chuck Taylor class I took the year before, I was berated (by the other students) for running a 1911...but I had exactly zero problems. Neither did my wife with her P226. P7's...well, you can say whatever you like about them, but they are not the wonderweapons folks like to pretend they are. Sure, milage may vary, but the truth doesn't.

I base my observations on facts, not information found in a book. Books are a fine place to START learning...

Alex