Gunshow vs online vs local shop prices.

Which offers the best $$ right now for specific handgun(s) you would like to get.

• Gunshows

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Online dealers

Votes: 22 42.3%
  • Local shops

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • They're all overpriced so I'm waiting

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crimper-D

Done it all 3 ways in the last year...

The Gun Shows are the biggest Pain in the A$$ = overpriced overrated and add admissions and parking fees to the transfer and background check charges before you get to the dealers infleted prices (and egos) = you've got to be ready to bargin the price down a long way to get a deal. Feeding Frenzy Mentality, too many guys paying too much $ for whaat they are getting and driving the asking prices way too high.
The online auctions are good sometimes, if you find something you really like/need and the Reserve price isn't insanely high, and you don't get into a bidding war with some 'Sport Bidder' and watch the price go up past all reason, and the seller isn't masking the open bidding by having a buddy bid the price up to the Blue Book value and leave it there for someone unwary to 'jump' the last bid by 10 or 15% in the last few minutes of the auction.
Items auctioned off under the "Buddy Bid" ploy tend to reappear under the same seller in the same auction at a later date, sometimes with the notation that the seller was stiffed by a bidder so it's back for sale.
Interesting the tricks you learn if you check the major auctions frequently:rolleyes: .
The best source I've found is shopping the webpages of dealers I've delt with before, especially those with hi resolution pics and good backup when you call for more info. There _are_some good ones out there;) !
The local shops are a crapshoot, but you at least get a hands-on check of the goods and some "on consignment" bargins do crop up often enough to make regular checks worthwhile.
I've added to my collection from all of the sources listed above in the last year...Got what I wanted and was willing to pay for, but it took effort, experience, cunning and guile and the luck of the right find at the right price. In a couple of cases it took walking away from something that didn't 'smell' right...It's fun, but it isn't easy:D

Dave R

Between FFL fees, shipping, and service, if the local dealer is within about $100 of the online price, I will buy it from the dealer.

Its worth a lot to me to be able to inspect before I buy, and get service if there's something wrong after I buy.

djsjd

I'd buy from a local dealer any time. Problem is that they don't normally carry $1500 pistols - so my best bet has been to find 'em on-line and transfer 'em in. Otherwise, I'd rather buy locally - the extra $$$'s involved up front are what I call 'insurance' in case of a SNAFU.

dairycreek

Where I had to factor in the cost of shipping.

And dealing with a local FFL the local gunshop comes out to be more economical. As far as all of them being overpriced. I think so but I don't think waiting will change a thing. Good shooting:)

AKurat

Gunshows aren't all theyre cracked up to be...Most of the time the prices are higher than local shops. Plus theyre filled with a bunch of con-artists and know-it-alls these days. I love their reactions when you tell them that something is overpriced...they get all huffy puffy and start acting like you dont know anything :D

Local shops are the way to go for me...friendly people and reasonable prices.

edamon2k

no question that gunbroker is the cheapest place to buy a gun.

however, once you add in FFL fees + shipping it gets close. However around me, it's still cheaper.

-d