Guns Worn In Open Legal, But Alarm Va. (WaPost)

Coop de Ville

As a cop in ghetto DC (Living in Alex.) only the bg's have guns... and plenty of them. I spoke with a neighbor the other day. She said, you're a cop, can you believe that all these people are now carrying guns around... right here?!

I told her thank the Lord, and went on my way. You should have seen the look on her face :)

mvpel

This exposes the rank hypocrisy of the gun-haters - they fight tooth and nail against CCW laws so we can "hide" our guns, inserting myriad restrictions and caveats that subject us to prosecution if we fail to do it properly, then they rail against open carry as well because it makes them "uncomfortable."

Total BS.

alan

The police involved in the Starbucks Affair aught to be sued to the ends of the earth, not so much for whatever monetary reward might be gained, some if likely warranted, but to drive home the FACT that the police are required to operate according to what the law actually says, and not according to what they might like it to say, or according to what they have interpreted it to say.

As for the differences between Washington, D. C., where the possession of firearms, for the law abiding has been virtually eliminated, and the situation in Virginia, obviously markedly different, Gun Control ala Washington, D. C. does not work, whereas Gun Control, ala Virginia, at the very least, has many fewer problems.

Draw your own conclusions, though if one considers the fact that A CRIME EMERGENCY, has been declared in D.C., and nothing of the sort has happened in any part of Virginia, where does the problem lie, seems a self answering question.

jailbait

I believe whole-heartedly in the right to carry openly. I have always subscribed to the theory of "the more weapons that are known to be in a building, the less likely said building will be robbed." I know that this point is completely arguable, and a lot of people say that more weapons will "adjitate" criminals, but i say that they will think twice before trying to commit such a crime.

Alabama (where i live) is questionable per county that you go into. There was an opinion written in 1975 by the attorney general at the time that basically says that in alabama you may carry a weapon openly but that you need a permit to carry concealed or in a car. Then you have the following section:

Section 13A-11-52
Carrying pistol on premises not his own; who may carry pistol.
Except as otherwise provided in this article, no person shall carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or under his control; but this section shall not apply to any sheriff or his deputy or police officer of an incorporated town or city in the lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or to United States marshal or his deputies, rural free delivery mail carriers in the discharge of their duties as such, bonded constables in the discharge of their duties as such, conductors, railway mail clerks and express messengers in the discharge of their duties.

(Acts 1919, No. 204, p. 196; Code 1923, §3487; Code 1940, T. 14, §163; Code 1975, §13-6-122.)

so basically, if i'm reading that section correctly, even with a CWP you wouldn't be able to carry into an establishment anyways. I specifically asked a member of the attorney generals office (pat roberts) and he clarified that alabama is "technically" an open carry state, but that he didn't recommend it because not a whole lot of people know about it, and that you would more than likely have to have a lawyer in your back pocket cause the police are likely to pick you up.

does any of what i said make sense? cause i have a tendancy to ramble and not make a whole lot of sense.

alan

Jailbait:

You make a reasonable amount of sense. I would say that it was the "lawmakers" and or those who "interpret" the law that have created, how shall I describe it, something along the lines of that well known "Polish Firing Squad", that's the CIRCULAR ONE.

dev_null

Far Left? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the text of that post came from an article in the Washington Times, a *Right-Wing* paper owned by Rev. Sun Myung Moon, religious cult leader and father of the owner of Kahr firearms.

- 0 -

Scott Conklin

The comments from the denizens of the forum, not the article itself... You can usually find several gun-bashing discussions going on there at any given time.

POST 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roc_Kor

It suprises me sometimes. Northern Virginia is so different from the rest. If I were to bring my WASR-10 on my front lawn, the cops would be there because one of my neighbors pissed their pants. It's bad up here sometimes. Isn't the rest of the state a bunch of rednecks or something? (Not rednecks, but you know what I mean. The more conservative gun loving dudes.)

And I can't still believe that no guns are allowed in DC. It's kinda scary when my Dad tells me to make sure the doors in the car are all locked while driving through some of the worse off parts. If my Dad used his CCW and carried his Makarov or S&W, I'd feel so much safer. :eek:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
From "carpetbagger" at the site linked by 2nd Amendment:

Ah, yes. My 'hood...
Northern Virginia. Compared to the rest of VA we're a rather upscale community, high education average, and fairly liberal, but it *is* Virginia and we have our share of bible nutz and gun nutz.

I don't know whether to be amused or apalled by his ignorance and bigotry. At least Mencken's "Sahara of the Bozart" was funny and oddly wistful...

Well, gotta run. Gotta get myself out to the porch and play "Duelling Banjos" for the yankee tourons. :rolleyes:

Redondo

I open carry in my small mountain community. The only time I even get a second look is by some tourist! Once I got pulled over for speeding. When the state patrolman walked up to my window, I informed him I had a firearm on my hip. He said fine, just leave it in the holster.

alan

Tamara wrote:

Well, gotta run. Gotta get myself out to the porch and play "Duelling Banjos" for the yankee tourons.

I haven't heard that since I used to hang out in a joint, Rosey O'Grady's in Pensacola, years ago. There was a smallish group that played half decent Dixieland, one of the group was a lady banjo player, who sometimes did Dueling Banjos, Rocky Top too. Can you really play that?

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Truthfully, I can't play the banjo, nor can I sing in any key other than R Flat.

I do my best to uphold stereotypes of Southerners by owning lots and lots of guns and by being (as KSFreeman can attest) hilariously inept with chopsticks... :eek:

faraway

"...but a man carrying a shield with a ferocious Gorgon on it-and buying minnows at the fishmongers..."
Aristophanes "Lysistrata"

One little concern about the whole issue. It seems the concept of protecting oneself, without becoming spectacle, is a getting little lost here.
Granted the open wearing was a political statement, but still...
It seems we have extremes of both individual protection and institutional projection evident in the VA situation.
And chopsticks, oh well, not that hard.

tc556guy

" Anything more, as in; questioning or ID check is harassment. Without some kind of direct information of a crime, the police are just fishing for a crime, which is harassment and a meant to intimidate."

How do you propose to verify that the ones with the guns are indeed lawful gun owners without ID'ing them? How are the officers to document who they dealt with without getting ID? Are the officers supposed to be mindreaders now?