Guns Worn In Open Legal, But Alarm Va. (WaPost)

David Park

Guns Worn In Open Legal, But Alarm Va.
'Exercising Right' Called 'Unreasonable' by Some

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 15, 2004; Page A01

On July 2, Fairfax County police received a 911 call from a Champps restaurant in Reston. Six men are seated at a table, the caller said. They're all armed.

Dispatchers quickly sent four officers to the scene. The officers were "extremely polite" and were hoping that some of the men were in law enforcement, said Sgt. Richard Perez, a spokesman for the police department. None was.

The men told the officers "they were just exercising their rights as citizens of the commonwealth," Perez said.

Turns out, packing a pistol in public is perfectly legal in Virginia. And three times in the last month, including at Champps on Sunset Hills Road, residents have been spotted out and about in the county, with guns strapped to their hips, exercising that right.

In the first episode, at a Starbucks, Fairfax police wrongly confiscated weapons from two college students and charged them with a misdemeanor. Police realized their mistake, returned the guns and tore up the charges the next day. Police commanders have since issued a reminder to officers that "open carry" is the law of the land in the Old Dominion.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, an organization of thousands of Virginia gun owners, said members were involved in all three police encounters. But he said there was no coordinated campaign to start packing heat publicly.

"It was probably more of a coincidence, but not completely," Van Cleave said, noting that word of the improper confiscation spread quickly among members through e-mail. "This is a good opportunity to educate people. We have this inherent right, and not many people exercised it."

In Virginia, as in many states, carrying a concealed weapon requires a permit, issued by a local court. But no permit is required to simply wield a gun in the open, a right reinforced by a state law that took effect July 1. Not so in the District and Maryland, unless you're a police or federal officer.

Fairfax police are baffled by the sudden display of weaponry but assume it was done to make some sort of statement.

"Crime is at 20-year lows in the county," Lt. Col. Charles K. Peters pointed out, even though the population is soaring. The county's homicide rate was the lowest in the nation last year among the 30 largest jurisdictions. "Hopefully no one feels the need to carry a gun, lawfully or unlawfully," Peters said. "But there's no question it is lawful to carry a gun on the street. So we've had to ensure that all of our officers are updated on the nuances of Virginia law that allow citizens to carry firearms in public places."

Although legal, it is disconcerting to some people.

"This just shows you the extreme nature of what they're trying to do," said Bob Ricker, head of Virginians for Public Safety. "You don't want to go to Starbucks or Reston Town Center and see somebody with a firearm strapped on," he added, referring to two locations where armed patrons were found. "It's just something that I think is completely unreasonable. We all understand the concept of self-defense. . . . But when you're talking about Fairfax County, you have to look at what is reasonable."

The first incident, at a Starbucks on Leesburg Pike near Tysons Corner, might have inspired other gun owners to carry openly. It began shortly before 10 p.m. June 14, Perez said, with a complaint from a citizen. Police arrived to find a 19-year-old man carrying a .22-caliber pistol and a 21-year-old man with a 9mm pistol.

Perez said an officer spoke with the men, then took their guns and charged them with possession of a firearm in a public place. Virginia law 18.2-287.4 expressly prohibits "carrying loaded firearms in public areas."

But the second paragraph of the law defines firearms only as any semiautomatic weapon that holds more than 20 rounds or a shotgun that holds more than seven rounds -- assault rifles, mostly, Van Cleave said. Regular six-shooters or pistols with nine- or 10-shot magazines are not "firearms" under this Virginia law.

The day after the arrest, the officer consulted with a county prosecutor and determined that "he had erred," Perez said. He summoned the two men to the McLean District station, returned their weapons and dropped the charges.

Van Cleave said word of the incident, along with news of a similar incident in Richmond, spread through the defense league's e-mail alert system. "I think people were saying, 'I think I do want to open carry,' " Van Cleave said, though he added the league neither encourages nor discourages the practice.

Carrying weapons openly was not unprecedented locally, Van Cleave said. He said that the defense league has a monthly meeting in Northern Virginia with 25 to 30 members and that most go out to dinner afterward with their sidearms openly visible. "We've had 40 people open carry, in a restaurant, with no problem," he said.

Three days after the incident at Champps, a married couple were walking their dogs down Market Street, the busy thoroughfare in the heart of Reston Town Center, about 3 p.m. In addition to pistols on their hips, Perez said, both the man and woman were carrying an extra magazine of ammunition. An officer spoke with them and was informed that they were members of the defense league and were aware of the Starbucks incident. Perez said the officer took no further action, although Van Cleave said a lieutenant arrived and urged Town Center security to eject them.

Managers at the Starbucks, Champps and Town Center all declined to comment.

Van Cleave said the gun owners might have been out celebrating a law that took effect July 1. Virginia statute 15.2-915 now completely prohibits any locality from enacting any regulations on gun ownership, carrying, storage or purchase, except for rules related to the workforce. Alexandria, for example, had an ordinance prohibiting openly carrying guns. It is now invalid, Van Cleave said.

"It's like the Fourth of July," Van Cleave said. "A whole new set of freedoms came in. . . . All local gun control is completely and totally gone."

Legislators said they passed the bill to eliminate duplicative regulations, particularly in counties such as Fairfax, which imposed its own gun permit process in addition to the federally mandated background check.

Openly carrying weapons is "not a good idea," said Kristen Rand of the Violence Policy Center in Washington. "This is the gun lobby's vision of how America should be. Everybody's packing heat and ready to engage in a shootout at the slightest provocation."

Ricker said the gun owners "are probably doing their cause more harm than good by raising this issue. It raises an awareness and gives people who are more rational thinkers the opportunity to go to their legislators and make their views known."

Van Cleave said most gun owners, particularly defense league members or concealed weapon permit owners, are law-abiding. Anti-gun forces "have come to think guns themselves are evil. You've got to worry about the person, not the gun."

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A50416-2004Jul14

Open carry polls:
http://www.wrva.com/morningshow.html#question

http://www.nbc4.com/news/3532321/detail.html

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
"Everybody's packing heat and ready to engage in a shootout at the slightest provocation."

You can tell by the way those two young lads mowed down the staff of the Starbucks over the provocatively rapacious tariff levied on them for a mediocre cup of joe. :rolleyes:

LAK

Hmmm, a couple of false arrests, and what must be a severe culture shock to a great many citizens of Virginia. Imagine living in a State for years where it is quite legal to wear a pistol - and not know it!

But it is high time that a reversal was effected in this cultural and ideological war. Those in open carry states have some of the best opportunities.

gburner

LAK.

Don't confuse what happens in or just outside the beltway and reaction to it with what Virginians know or don't know. We here in the rest of the Commonwealth tend to have a little more on the ball in terms of common sense than most of our 'beltway bretheren', TFL members aside.

I think that it showed some cajones to walk into a Starbucks, that epicenter of corporate socalism, openly packing. I'll bet THAT curdled some folks latte. :)

KSFreeman

I don't open carry much. However, if I were in Ol' Virginny, I would every day now!

What an outrage. I hope those kids sue the stuffing out of the cops.

"Everybody's packing heat and ready to engage in a shootout at the slightest provocation."

Sounds familiar. It's the same argument that's trotted out every time a state considers issues dealing with handguns and citizens.

Jim Brady, in 1993/94, addressed a joint session of the Virginia legislature, which was considering liberalizing the CCW law to what we have today.

(paraphrase) "This law means more guns, and more guns mean more crime." Blood in the streets was the popular refrain from the antis.

They gave him and his wife a standing ovation, then a few minutes later voted overwhelmingly to approve the CCW law that we in Virginia enjoy today, one that removed from the hands of local, and often corrupt and anti, law enforcement the ability to treat CCW licenses as their own little carrot and stick. Donated enough to my reelection campaign? Here's your permit.

I feel a letter to the Washington Post coming on.

Quartus

Dispatchers quickly sent four officers to the scene. The officers were "extremely polite"

That's nice to hear. No overreaction - just checking out a call. Good stuff.

So let's compare this to the Manchester PD as described in mvpel's thread.

Sounds like a very similar situation, except that there were multiple 'suspects' carrying weapons.

So why is it so difficult for some people to see that the Manchester PD acted wrongly?

Fred Hansen

The officers were "extremely polite" and were hoping that some of the men were in law enforcement, said Sgt. Richard Perez, a spokesman for the police department. (emphasis added)
Because some animals are more equal than others.

Any .45

Proper action was taken, even if it wasn't a co-ordinated effort, LEO's that don't know gun laws in there district should be forced to write the laws out 1000 times like they use to do to me in 3 rd grade. The good part is that the LEO was smart enough to ask the DA, but can you imagine if the LEO hadn't taken the initiative, and the kids would had have to fight the misdemeanor in court. But thanks god thhe LEO had some intelligence.

Fishorman

It takes less then 30 seconds to respond to these kind of 911 calls. Anything more, as in; questioning or ID check is harassment. Without some kind of direct information of a crime, the police are just fishing for a crime, which is harassment and a meant to intimidate.

Mad Ogre called it right when saying, "mere presence is the first rung on the “Use of Force Ladder” as taught by the instructors at my police academy..."

This intimidation, if allowed to continue will bring about citizen's afraid to exercise their rights... just another infringement, (impairment), too many seem willing to put up with.

Glad to see things might be paying off in Virigina... I'll just have to keep fighting out in Washington State without six friends sitting at the table with me. Because of a law written purposely to be vague and intimadating, I am not sure if Washington could get 6 folks together to stand up for our right to open carry, let alone 40! AWESOME!!!

RWK

I have frequently written about open carry in Virginia – especially Northern Virginia – on S’ville, THR and TFL.

While generally legal in Virginia for decades, many NorVa LEOs have believed open carry constitutes a disturbance of the peace, a public nuance, or even brandishing. This does not suggest that cases were prosecuted; however, there was a significant potential “hassle factor”. It was VERY LEO dependant, since some individual’s experiences indicated no problems whatsoever.

The recent “Washington Post” news coverage is likely (IMHO) to do three things:
a) Raise LEO awareness that Virginia open-carry is fully legal, which is a good thing.
b) Induce the Legislature to enact a “Texas like “ amendment to the current CCW laws, allowing conceal carry in some establishments that serve alcoholic beverages (Virginia does NOT now have a 50 percent statute like Texas – if ANY alcohol is served, Virginia CCW is illegal), which is also a very good thing.
c) Possibly energize the “soccer mommy” crowd to attempt to restrict Second Amendment rights – “We can’t have firearms in public, they are ALL awful, they will lead to ‘wild west’ gunfights in our affluent, suburban communities “ – a potentially bad thing, if (MOST unlikely) the rest of Virginia were to accede.

On a related matter, LtCol Peter’s statement:
"Crime is at 20-year lows in the county, even though the population is soaring. The county's homicide rate was the lowest in the nation last year among the 30 largest jurisdictions. "Hopefully no one feels the need to carry a gun, lawfully or unlawfully."
is plainly stupid and it disgusts me.

His job is to protect citizens and to prevent crime. I have lived in Fairfax County for over twenty years, and have been the victim of four felonies (including one attempted burglary, when I chased the two criminals from my home in Vienna), despite the fact that I live in an affluent, purportedly very safe area.

Admittedly, three of the four crimes were solved. However, despite the general excellence of the FCPD, in no case were they able to protect my family, my property, or me.

Providing security obviously is my responsibility, not the Police Department’s. How would Peters have me ensure my family’s safety? Maybe if I explain to the felons that crime in Fairfax County is at a twenty year low, they will be convinced, they will change their values and their attitudes, and they will forgo any additional criminal activity.

Quartus

Providing security obviously is my responsibility, not the Police Department’s.

As many court cases have shown!

Funny, when it comes to telling us to disarm, they tell us THEY are to protect us. When they fail to do so, suddenly they have no legal obligation to protect us.

RWK

“ . . .when it comes to telling us to disarm, they tell us THEY are to protect us. When they fail to do so, suddenly they have no legal obligation to protect us . . .”

Quartus – That is precisely the point. I believe -- my career Naval officer background -- in ACCOUNTABILITY. Either law enforcement is responsible for my safety -- and can be sued for non-performance -- or they are not. Since their failure to perform satisfactorily is not grounds for a tort, they are not accountable for my security, which clearly means that I am. Given that, I must have access to the tools necessary to ensure my safety.

alan

The exercise of FREE SPEECH likely alarms some also, however they do not have to listen. Here, they do not have to look.

Aside from this, a HOLSTERED PISTOL threatens nobody. Years ago, while living in Hopewell, I stopped one afternoon, at a lunch place just outside Petersberg, 7 or so miles away.

A gentleman, sitting quietly to my left appeared to be armed, that is I thought that I saw a small automatic pistol worn on in belt holster. At a glance, I verified that I had actually seen what I thought I had seen, and subesquently ignored the weapon, which was, after all, HOLSTERED, rather than poointed ay me or anyone else.

I ordered my lunch, and ate it, enjoying same, just like this other gentlemen seemed to be doing. Don't bother others, when they aren't bothering you always seemed like a good idea. As for other aspects, it seems that some people were just born to be ALARMED, while others were born to SHOP, and others were born to be OFFENDED.

alan

RWK wrote in part, the following:

Providing security obviously is my responsibility, not the Police Department’s. How would Peters have me ensure my family’s safety? Maybe if I explain to the felons that crime in Fairfax County is at a twenty year low, they will be convinced, they will change their values and their attitudes, and they will forgo any additional criminal activity.

If you ever get to speak with a cop who is honest about things, he or she will readily admit that as a practical matter, the police CANNOT protect the individual, except in the rarest of circumstances, for normally, they arrive on the scene AFTER THE FACT. By the way, this point does not even begin to address existing court rulings, at both state as well as federal levels, rulings that pretty much have the effect of saying that the police owe no particular service to the individual.

Many years ago, I lived in Virginia, "out in the country" between Hopewell and Chesterfield, just off Route 301, in a smallish apartment complex. I've held a PA carry permit for more than 20 years, and have owned guns, handguns included for a lot longer than that. It was during my residence in Virginia, that I came within one step of firing on an intruder, who was trying to break into my apartment. Matter of fact, he had jimied the door. Surprise, I was at home. What was likely a second or two seemed like it went on forever, him backlit in the doorway, me sitting in a chair, perhaps 25 feet away, 1911 pistol in hand. He left hurriedly, having heard the pistol being cycled. I almost scared myself.

In any case, I did not feel the local police or perhaps sherrifs dept. to have been at fault, they cannot be everywhere at once, and who would want to live in a place where they were anyhow, I wouldn't.

I would have heartly objected to anyone in "Law Enforcement", given the circumstances, telling me that I did not need to be armed, because "they were there to protect me". Of course, this was back in 1964, and having spoken with the police about what happened, I never heard any such comments from them. Cannot say how such conversation might run today. I guess it would depend on whom one were speaking with.

Paul B.

Theoretically anyway, open carry is legal in Arizona. Note the "theoretically".
I can walk down the street with a handgun on my hip and even enter most places without a problem. But the minute I enter my vehicle, I have to have a CCW or I have committed a crime. :barf: It's still on my hip. I haven't hidden it. Yet I can have it in the glove box and that's OK.
Who writes these screwy laws anyway. let's just all go Vermont style and forget the rest.
Paul B.

Quartus

let's just all go Vermont style and forget the rest.

Better yet, let's all go "original intent of the Consitution", or if you prefer, "the plain meaning of the Second Amendment".

alan

Paul B. :

As to your question concerning "who writes these screwey laws anyhow", the answer might possibly be as follows. The people you might have voted for, or perhaps didn't vote against, be it at oocal, state or federal levels.