Guns which don't show up in movies

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Yes I stand corrected.. sorry I was thinking off the cuff about Cross of Iron. I highly recommend the book by the way.

Before "Unforgiven" I don't think i ever saw a Schofield in a movie.

Wild Geese.. great flick. Richard Harris reaches into his pockets in a whorehouse fight and says "Ive got this (snubby 38) and this (a hand grenade)" talk about a back up gun!

Oh I recall the Skorpion from "The Crying Game".. Miranda Richardson puts one in her purse. Also appeared in the short lived series "Dempsy and Makepeace" in the hands of Irish terrorists.

NEVER seen a Steyr GB in a film, though I have shot one.

Thumper

Long Path,

Am I mistaken?

I thought Al Pacino's character toted a blued, faux ivory gripped Officer's ACP in "Heat."

Crimper-D

Never seen an AG42

The Swedish Ljungman semi auto...Come to think of it, have'nt seen it's Egyptian clone the Hakkim either. Yea, I know Sweden was netural in WWII, but there have been Swedish films with military.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Thumper - - -

I really believe that was a Commander which Pacino carried in "Heat."

Another identifiable Commander: Bill Cosby, in "I Spy" carried one, presumably 9 mm so he and Robt Culp, with the hokey P-38K, could swap ammo. Cosby carried the CLW with hammer down.

But speaking of nifty Colts, Steve McQueen in "Bullitt" carried the only Diamondback (a 2-1/2") I recall seeing in movies.

George Hill: "Magnum PI used a Detonics in 6 episodes or so is documented on certain Detonics websites." Really? Thought I'd seen all those episodes at one time or another. Only pistol I remember him packing was a plain-Jane 1911--Probably a GI. And his buddy, uh, T.C.? T. J.? --The chopper driver- - - sometimes used a Model 15 S&W. And Rick had a PPK--Is that right?

Best,
Johnny

gryphon

Ernie Hudson's character in Congo carried a FAL carbine. First and only time I've seen a FAL of any kind in a movie.

Hand_Rifle_Guy

The Bushido Blade

Colt blackpowder revolver with shoulder stock, no less. Never seen it repeated, but I'm not much of a movie buff. I think it was an 1860 Army, but my memory is not clear.

fed168

The subguns in Cross of Iron were PPSH 41s. The subgun in The Gods Must Be Crazy was a Czech Model 24 or 26 (forget the # off the top o' me head).
One never sees the proper sniper rifle much in the movies, or a water cooled .50 BMG much, Enfields, 03A3s, P17s. I think I am getting on the surplus rifle kick again.

RikWriter

There were a lot of FALs evident in the movie The Wild Geese.
As for True Lies, Ah-nold was carrying a Ruger P90 in 45ACP (the slide was clearly visible in the movie posters).
I remember seeing the Ppsh Russian subgun in an episode of MASH once, of all things.

Cosmoline

Forget the fancy stuff..

How often do you ever see the rifles at the average gun store or in your average closet on screen? Here are just a few examples:

Marlin Leverguns (Modern).
Millions are out there, but I don't remember ever seeing one in a film set in modern times. According to Sillywood, everybody threw them away in 1900. They rarely even show up in gangster movies set in the '20's, even though they were exponentially more common than Thompson SMG's. Just once I'd like to see the hero use a Marlin .45/70 in a modern movie.

Single-Shot Shotguns
Probably one of the most common weapons of all time. There are several hundred million worldwide, yet the only one I recall from a movie was in the first version of "The Evil Dead." That one was later transformed into the famous double barrelled Remington.

Ruger MK II's, Colt Woodsman
These .22 plinkers are everywhere in the real world and are used for everything from target practice to hunting to special ops. Indeed, they have been the tool of choice for countless criminals. Yet when was the last time you saw some movie character use one?

Mushinto

LeMat?

In the 1959 TV western 'Johnny Ringo", Don Durrant carried a Lemat revolver.
Drawpst.gif

and
LeMat.jpg

and
Don%20loading%20Lemat.jpg

ML

bdhawk

johnny guest

nick adams played "the rebel"

steve mcqueen played josh randle in "wanted dead or alive" he carried a sawed off leveraction 45/70

i remember a character in a 50's or 60's tv western that carried a lemat. he had a special cutaway holster for it. i think he went by johnny ringo, but i am not sure.

bdhawk

the alamo

what was the gun richard whitmark have in the alamo? i had a bunch of barrels.

johnny guest axel foley did carry a hi-power in bhc I &II. in bhc III he had a walther that looks a bunch like a hi-power. it shows up very well on one of the posters.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
More good fun - - -

Cosmoline - - In the "Crime Story" series in the ‘80s, there were some non-conventional- for-TV weapons. The super-ambitious bad guy newcomer in Las Vegas used a Colt Woodsman to wipe out several people. Farentino's (is that right name?) Special unit included a B.A.R. and one guy with a .30 US Carbine.
Also--Movie a few years ago about a male-female hit team in the Carribean. Early in movie, I believe the male assassin used a suppressed Ruger .22 auto on a mob hit.
Leverguns in "modern" times. - - - Movie "Matewan," concerning coal mining labor troubles in Kentucky--Many lever guns, both Marlin and Winchester, as well as a lot of Mauser bolt guns brought in for the strikers.
I agree about prevalence of guns in real life never shown in movies. In "Legends of the Fall," someone used an ‘86 Winchester to kill a big bear. My girl friend asked at the time if that was a proper gun for the 1920-s period. I told her that I hunt with a 25-year-old ‘06 still considered a current gun. And my son used a Springfield sporter produced some 80 years ago. OLD surely doesn't mean inefficient or non-working.

bdhawk--Yeah, I did mix up some actor/character names earlier. But the Steve McQueen character in "Dead or Alive" had what was called a "Mare's Laig," a cut-down Winchester 1892 in .44-40. They put rifle cartridges in the belt loops for visual effect only.
Read somewhere that the Widmark multi-barrel in "The Alamo" was a one-of-a-kind that some prop guy came up with, just for fun, with no (1836/Texas) historical basis. I didn't see BHC-III

Mushinto - - your illustration of a LeMat apparently being loaded with a metallic cartridge is interesting. I thought they were all percussion guns. Is that one a special conversion for the series?

Best,
Johnny

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
From an earlier thread:

The X-files tonight left me shocked! The evil bad guy street criminal lowlifes were using (that I readily identified) a Chinese Tokarev knock-off and a newer Ruger auto. Based on my limited exposure to evidence lockers, that's a lot more accurate than the Beretta 93R's, USP Limiteds, Wildeys, Automags, SIGS, etcetera that Hollywood usually equips holdup artists and low-level independant pharmaceutical salespeople with. :eek:

Next thing you know, they'll stop putting cans on wheelguns... :D

Buying guns seized by LE in bulk to stock the used shelves with, you get a pretty good look at the "average crime gun" of your town/region. Seen a lot of 'em over the years. Sadly, no bargain Wildeys or USP Limiteds. (although I did once get an Old Model Bearcat. How come no TV Criminals use those? ;) )

Mushinto

Johnny Guest:
Mushinto - - your illustration of a LeMat apparently being loaded with a metallic cartridge is interesting. I thought they were all percussion guns. Is that one a special conversion for the series?

To the best of my knowledge, the LeMat cylinder held 9, .42 caliber percussion rounds and the central barrel shot a .65 caliber shotgun. I think it is a brass shotgun shell that is being loaded in the pistol in the picture, although the original was a muzzle loader. So I guess it was a prop, but it was so cool.
The 10 shot LeMat was obviously the first assault pistol.
ML

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I believe that there were both cartridge-conversion and factory cartridge-loaded LeMats. The gun's production run spanned from the end of one era into another.

gburner

What's LeMatter with that picture?

I love the photo of "Johnny Ringo" and his LeMat. Anyone who has held one of these beasts knows that you would need to have the arm strength of Ahnold Shwartzenwhatsis to use it as a 'quick draw' weapon. A favorite among Confederate officers, IIRC it was originally intended as a saddle pistol. JEB Stuart carried one. I would not want to be on it's business end! As previously stated,
9 .42 caliber rounds and a shotgun barrel loaded with buck and ball. OUCH.

Joe Demko

Percussion repro Le Mats are available through Dixie Gunworks and others. Does anybody know of a source for modern production cartridge Le mats?