Guns which don't show up in movies

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I can't think of many movies which show StG44, or PPS43 or RPD. Similarly, P1914/M1917 don't get much screen time. These were all common weapons. Even if not common in the US, how hard would it be to make a propane or just a non-working reproduction?

FrankK

Although it was mentioned, we never actually saw the porcelain Glock that Bruce Willis spoke about in Die Hard 2. <joke>

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Once knew a guy who had an MP-44/StG-44.

Wanna make a friend for life? Find a couple hundred rounds of 7.92mm kurz. ;)

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Stg 44 "Assault on Athena" Telly Savalas unloads magazine after magazine at German bad guys. Its FULL of anachronisms, scuba gear, nazi seal teams, v2 rockets in Greece but a fun flick.

PPsh43 "Cross of Iron" by Sam Peckinpah satrring George Peppard. Sgt. Stiener pisses off his superiors by carrying and using a russian burp gun over an mp40.

P1917 "Lost Battalion" the soldiers used p-17 Enfields instead of Springfields.

Don't think I have seen an RPD or Dgaryatev (sp?) in a film. Also can't recall seeing SW and Colt 1917 revolvers in a movie.

Even when they want to get it right sometimes they can't.. not that in "Kellys Heros the BAR's are FN model D's, not american ones)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
"Degtyarev: it's Deg-tya-rev"

(Patterned after, of course, H. Simpson's famous "Nucyular: it's Nook-yoo-lar". ;) )

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The Ultimax 100 and Stechkin are very rare in movieland.

Come to think of it, not too terrifically common outside movieland, either. ;)

The Stechkin has truly an amazing reputation when you consider it was made for only what? Four or five years? They only made a couple of thousand, to boot; an insignificant number for a Russian gun.

Yet like all machine pistols (think Mauser Schnellfeure, VP-70z, Beretta 93R, Glock 18), it sure has burrowed its way into the collective subconscious of the gun world. I sure wouldn't kick any of the above-named machine pistols out of my gun safe (although just what use they'd be is beyond me...)

Will Beararms

Stechkin Machine Pistol? Easy: toward the end in Red Dawn when the older Soviet Officer starts to wise up on the Wolverines, he;s using a Stechkin in the scene where they go back into town and he's looking for them in the rail yard.

PPS43? Easy: Enemy at the Gate with Jude Law and Ed Harris depecting opposing snipers in the siege of Stalingrad--------------Great movie.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
I remember...

...seeing plenty of PPSh-41's in Enemy at the Gates, but don't recall any PPS43's. :confused:

UnknownSailor

Stechkin Machine Pistol? Easy: toward the end in Red Dawn when the older Soviet Officer starts to wise up on the Wolverines, he;s using a Stechkin in the scene where they go back into town and he's looking for them in the rail yard.

No, if I do recall, that special terrorist hunter dude was using a Jatimatic.

708.jpg

link

knutzke

Tamara wrote:
"seeing plenty of PPSh-41's in Enemy at the Gates, but don't recall any PPS43's"

That´s because events of that movie took place autumn of 1942
so PPS43 was really a next years model.;)

Knutzke

Long Path

How about Colt Lightning carbines and rifles in Westerns? I have yet to see one.

You don't see 'em much, do you? I saw one prominently featured in an old (pretty good, really) episode of I Spy.

Now here's one: When's the last time you saw a 10/.22 in a Hollywood flick? Come on, this is one of the most common firearms in American homes!