Guns that bite

rock185

I've shot more powerful rifles, but the one that "bites me",i.e., really beats my shoulder up with every shot, is my little .350 Mag. carbine.

Attachments

• Rem. 660 .350 Mag.  (640x397).jpg
    Rem. 660 .350 Mag. (640x397).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 22

armoredman

BREN 805. Very first round I somehow "forgot" it has a reciprocating charging handle handle. Smashed the bejinkies out of my left thumb...but I kept shooting it! Moved the charging handle to the right side and all was good as long as I could lug the beast. Loved shooting it, carrying, not so much.
CZ Scorpion, very first model pistol. The safety DUG into my hand badly every time I fired it. Took it home and cut the puppy right off with a hacksaw blade - ambi, so there was still a left side safety. THEN, then they came out with the left side "delete". Once the safety was modified it was an absolute joy to shoot, real *****cat.

SHR970

SO, what has bitten you, or caused pain when fired??

Pain is a toss up between a Stoger Coach Gun with 3" Buckshot and its plastic butt cap or my 375 RUM AWR ADL @ 8.2ish pounds with scope & rings pushing a 300 Gr. Hornady BTSP @ 2950 fps.

A slip on tamed the Stoger......only a velocity reduction tames the Remington.

Armed_Chicagoan

P64 police pistol, barehanded the sharp edges bite into the web between your thumb and forefinger every shot. It's a shame too, because I really like that little pistol otherwise and shoot it well. Yes the DA trigger is so bad there's really no words to describe it but the SA trigger is awesome.

Doyle

Yes the DA trigger is so bad there's really no words to describe it but the SA trigger is awesome.
Have you replaced the mainspring and recoil springs? I've had two. Changing the mainspring (lighter spring) made the DA pull very reasonable. Changing the recoil spring (stiffer spring) tamed some of the bite.

seanc

I had a Llama Mini-Max II .45 that was a smooth, compact shooter except for 1 thing: It would put every case right between the eyes! As much as I liked shooting that cheap little .45 at the range, I knew it was just a range toy and couldn't be used in SD. Could you imagine getting a hot case plunking you in the eye every shot? Yikes! It wasn't worth taking to a gunsmith to fix the ejection issue.

gbclarkson

An ejected shell from an M249 bounced back at me and scratched my eye. Lesson learned about eye protection at the range.

natman

My turkey shotgun is a 3" 12 ga shooting 2 oz loads. The recoil isn't too bad because it's a slow push you can roll with. Once a turkey came in from the side and I had to twist around awkwardly to shoot it. I didn't realize it, but I ended up with my shooting shoulder resting against the tree and couldn't roll back. Now that hurt. Won't make that mistake again.

Trumpanista

Beretta Tomcat took a vicious bite outa me, really a very nice little .32, but the rear of the slide is shaped like a spear. My big mitts had no business trying to hold onto that tiny little gun.

JERRYS.

I had a Grendel .380 back in the early 90s. the one that loaded from the ejection port. it didn't hurt to shoot but that gun bites. LOL

Prof Young

Too many to remember.

The ones I can remember are hammer bite from my 1911, slide bite from the first time I shot a small semi-auto 380, and I've caught a web of skin in the ejection port when I've tried to rack out a jam. I'm sure there are more . . .

Life is good.

Prof Young

Shadow9mm

walther ppk. Had one, took it to the range once, fired about 50 rnds, sold it. something with the beaver tail, when the gun recoiled, it dug rotated over into the top of the web of my hand and left it raw.

BJung

Browning HP

Browning HP for me too. They seem to bit the hand that feeds it. I won't trade it for anything though. If anyone gets a change to buy the 40cal, do so. Mines is very accurate.

44 AMP

Staff
Fit, of the hand, or the stock MATTERS!

Knew one fellow, ages ago, had a .300 Weatherby "Custom". Fantastic beast of a rifle. It was his caribou rifle and he hunted with it for several years. One time he took it deer hunting, came home day 3 of the season. With a nice deer, a cut over his eye and the whole side of his face black and blue.

Opening day, the deer jumped from a bush about 30 yds in front of him. He snap shot the deer (and got it) but the rifle beat him severely, because he didn't mount it properly before shooting.

Shooting even a fairly light recoilling rifle with your shoulder against anything so there's no "give" can be a painful experience.