Guns that bite

44 AMP

Staff
The subject came up in conversation the other day, so I decided to run a thread about it.

Lots of us have had guns "bite" us. Either because of something about the way it fit or recoiled, or because we've had part of us in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Most famous of these are the M1 Thumb, hammer bite from various semi auto pistols, and shooting full house loads in an M29 with stock factory grips.

SO, what has bitten you, or caused pain when fired??

One that surprised me the most was a 9mm Bolo Broomhandle Mauser. With the stock off, it HURT to shoot it barehanded. small grip with a large metal slot, stung quite a bit.

Sometimes, we hurt ourselves by having a finger or something in the wrong place for that gun. At 14 I learned NOT to have my thumb over the grip of my Grandfather's 12ga. Alongside worked fine, on top split my lip open with my thumb when the gun recoiled! (one of those mistakes I've NEVER made twice!!)

SO, what's your stories? Something were you screwed up? Or where you didn't and the gun just hurt??

FrankenMauser

Hi-Powers hurt the web of my hand, after a couple magazines. I found that rather disappointing, having liked the looks and smooth operation while growing up.

.450 Nitro snaps my neck every time I shoot my father's double. That hurts.

mikejonestkd

I have been bitten a few times.
A Hi Power hammer caught the web of my hand years ago. That ended my desire to buy one.
I got the web of my right hand caught in the back of the slide of a browning buckmark 20 years ago. It bled like crazy, still have the scar.

HistoryJunky

The first gun I ever shot was a buddy's Ithaca Featherweight in 12 Gauge.

I am a lefty. The metal cross-bolt safety cut my finger every time a shot it.

Handgun wise, I sold my Kahr CM9 9mm because it didn't fit my hand well. Every time i shot it, the knuckle of my trigger finger got smashed into the frame inside the trigger guard.

Shame. I actually liked that gun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pahoo

I still have all my fingers

Slide-Bight;
Just one so far and it was a real bleeder. I'm kind of showy about those two little scars on the web of my hand. ……. PPKS, (9MM)

Shoulder;
1) Old 12ga Single-shot. Shoulder hurt for about 6-months. …. :mad:
2) Tika .300 WinMag.; Testing it for a friend and after 6-rounds; Called it good.
3) TC Hawken model, 120grns FFG; Comb got me under my cheek. .. :)

Oh what fun !!!
Be Safe !!!

Drm50

I had my right trigger finger pulled out of joint. Doc taped it up with plastic guard. My dad had bought a #8 Rem and after supper we went out to shoot it. Dad & Bro doing the shooting. I decided to shoot a couple with trigger finger laying along action while I used next finger to pull the trigger. I saw stars, bolt hit end of trigger finger.

Kreyzhorse

Ruger Single Actions, Blackhawks and Vaqueros, hurt my trigger finger. I've got big hands and the damn trigger guard slams back into my knuckle. Its bad on my 45 convertable Blackhawk and brutal on my 44 Mag Vaquero.

Love the guns through.

TXAZ

1) Barrett M107A1 with Suppressor (which effectively fully negates the muzzle brake). Major league pain, 12,000 ft lbs into my shoulder like this one: (1 shot looping gif)

94kIzWR.gif

2) S&W M&P 9mm. Fun to shoot but let the side of a knuckle get a mm to high on one shot and got tracks.

jmr40

I had a Makarov for a while. I always thought it kicked more than it should. The beavertail on a CZ-75 digs into the web of my hand between the thumb and trigger finger.

jonnyc

Hi-Powers with round hammers; spurs are just fine.
Walther PPK and PPK/S; real slicers.
1911A1 with a wide, sharp hammer rear edge.
Double-Shot(Tap?) Derringer; no.....just plain no.

KyJim

My Colt 1911 Anniversary model bites me. The combination of short grip safety tang and longer hammer bites me between the thumb and forefinger. I have other 1911s, but it is the only one that does this.

burrhead

My G1 Contender in 7-30 Waters hurt the web of my hand with the standard Hunter grip after about 10 rounds. I switched to a TC Target grip with a thumb shelf and it made all the difference.

Scorch

S&W revolvers bite my thumb with the sharp edge of the knurled cylinder release latch. It's not so bad with a Model 17, but a 29 will make me cry.

Winchester 1897s are called thumb-busters for a reason, don't let your hand creep up on the stock.

Colt SAA revolvers will draw blood if you don't have them in the safety notch when you shart shucking shells out and the hammer drops on your hand.

Colt Government Model hammer spurs will raise a blood blister in the web of your thumb. So will High Powers.

Walther PPs and PPKs are famous for sharp slide edges that will leave "tracks" when you let your hand get too high on the grip.

I don't even want to get into my old 8mm Remington Magnum 700. It was just plain uncomfortable to shoot.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Watch out for Ljungmans and Hakims. The bolt can close when you're not expecting it and the bolt and gas tube will conspire to take little tiny cookie-cutter chunks of meat out of whatever is between them at the time. Or so I've heard... :eek:

My PPK made a mark or two on my hand until I finally chamfered the razor edges of the slide.

When you're disassembling a Mauser 96 bolt, be careful. There is a point in the disassembly process where a misstep will result in the bolt launching the firing pin at considerable velocity. Enough to embed it several inches into drywall. I was glad it was pointing away from me when it launched. I'm still giving it an honorable mention even though it missed.

HiBC

PPK's and Hi-Powers have left a ladder of little scars on the web between my thumb and forefinger. I don't like bleeding on guns. It makes them rust.

My Super Blackhawk had a sharp,square corner om the left side of the frame, That would peel the hide off the inside of my thumb.

There are folks who will freak out about it,but I know how to use a file to round a corner.. No more problem.

I hung a 10 ga bbl on a break action single barrel frame.It all went together good.

You know that lever you push to one side ,that lives behind the hammer,up on top of the wrist/frame to break open the shotgun?

This gun did not have the 10 gauge weight. Recoil,fired side by side was equivalent to a 416 Rem Mag.

When I fired that 10 gauge,that lever penetrated about an inch into the web of my hand.

I crafted up an epoxy/glass ramp behind the lever. Problem solved.

JohnKSa

Administrator
There are folks who will freak out about it,but I know how to use a file to round a corner.. No more problem.
One reason I like stainless steel firearms. No need to refinish after "customizing" a gun to remove a sharp edge.