Guns... or ammo?

Jo6pak

Ar rhis point for me it's ammo. I have all the bases covered when it comes to types of firearms that I wnat to own. So I've been buying ammo and shooting alot more than i have in years. Granted, most of that is .22 through the Trailside and GSG, but it's still fun.

chris in va

I reload and cast, so that question is moot for me. 'Box' of 9mm runs me about $3.

That being said I don't like to get multiple calibers and try to stick with 9mm and 45. When my Sig 220 sells I plan to pick up a Glock 21 SF, also in 45.:cool:

Mike-Mat

I know you don't want this to be about reloading, but for me reload is the key to being able to shoot regularly and still buy an occasional new gun. Plus my gun purchases revolve around the costs of shooting.

380ACP & 9MM use the same size bullet .355/.356
38Spl & 357Mag use the same size bullet .357/.358

However I have been known to use a .356 Lead Round Nose in my 38 Spl. every now and then. So buying those in quantities makes it even cheaper to shoot and hence afford the next gun.

The next one I acquire will probably be a very small 9mm pocket gun, or a Ruger LCP 380.

When I can put enough $ away.

But to answer your question.... Doesn't make sense to have a gun if you dont shoot. Cant shoot if you dont have bullets. Right gun for the job (Home defense, pocket gun, varment killer, etc...).

Jim243

Well that was my comment. Right now my wife thinks I have more than enough guns. (12 Pistols/Revolvers, 10 rifles) And a devorce is way too expensive. So I guess I have enough, about 2 of each caliber I shoot.

And since I started reloading 7 years ago, I never worry about ammo for any of them. I see myself more as a collecter than a shooter, so I would rather spend my money on good firearms than ammo. Each gun has it's own special load developed, so when I go to the range it is to test the loads out (about 20 to 30 rounds total each time for two calibers.) I may be jaded since there is nothing out there that I consider interesting or worth buying, I would not pass up a good deal, provided it is something I do not already have. But I have 22LR through 30-06 covered and 380 ACP through 45 ACP covered. No I do not want a 44 mag or 10 mm or 50 AE so I am still waiting for the mfgs to come out with something interesting.

Do I buy ammo, no I make my own (much better) So I save my money for purchasing guns and bullets.

Jim

Dashunde

I know you don't want this to be about reloading..

Well, its not that reloading isnt a worthy subject, it is.
We all do know reloading saves cash in the long run, probably a lot of it, but it does require a significant initial investment, plenty of room, and loads of time.
Most of us are simply lacking one or more required elements for reloading, thus making it a unrealistic source of ammo.

Flint Ridge

Buy decent ammo at a cheap price whenever you can. Then save all the brass, when ammo is high I make it, when cheap I buy it.

As noted 22's are great. I have found that starting with the Ruger Mk II's I can burn 100 rounds easy without fear of costs. Then I will shoot other larger more expensive calibers and I am actually much better shooting them now, solely based on use of the 22's. This cheap shooting has allowed me to shoot more and I don't have to shoot 200 rounds of 9mm at a time, unless I want to.

Likewise I am constantly on the look for "whatever". By that I mean cheap ammo, cheap components, or an excellent price on a firearm. Go where the opportunity leads, after you have the basics in place. It is when you HAVE TO BUY something that things get ugly. So, it's probably been 18 months since I bought any primers - I have plenty and can wait.

HisSoldier

Man, if I had to pay retail for ammo I wouldn't be able to share shooting with so many people. My RCBS Pro2000 puts out 400 RPH and just knowing that opens the spigot of sharing in me, and it works the same for my own shooting.

Reloading typically means more shooting, and that fact is more significant than the cost savings. Don't forget hidden costs of buying retail, the trip to town etc. Typically a reloader has all the components on hand 99% of the time, I certainly do. My wife would constantly badger me if I paid retail for ammo.

I save enough to buy guns, so far about 50 or 60. I own guns as a hedge against the economic collapse that is practically certain to come IMHO.

stephen426

Since guns without ammo are just expensive paper weights, I would have to argue that ammo is much more important than guns (if you already have a few guns). Properly maintained guns last a pretty long time, and I'm willing to bet that most people's guns will outlast their ammo supply. Besides, you can only shoot 2 guns at a time.

If the poop ever does really hit the fan and you need to evacuate, you will be highly limited in how much of each you could reasonably carry. For me, I would grab my AR-15, my shotgun, my .22 Buckmark, my 1911 as my primary pistol, and my Glock 26 as my back up gun. For me, a reasonable ammo supply would probably be 300 rounds of .223, 100 rounds of buck shot, 500 rounds of .22 LR, and 250 rounds of .45 acp and 9mm. Durability and reliability would be paramount in deciding which guns I would carry. Carrying more than that would weigh you down a lot and probably take the room of other essentials.

defjon

so you would carry 5 guns and over 1,000 rounds with you if you had to evac?

I'd feel over burdened with half that, hell, 100 rounds of 45 ain't exactly light.

My solution is less ammo and more loaded mags. Carries lighter, quick reloads.

chuckles

I buy ammo constantly, guns occasionly, but all my guns I keep confined to my mainstay calibers. .45acp, 9mm, .223, .308, 22lr, 12ga.(NO .40) Less variation in calibers equals the ability to keep significant stocks of ammo on hand.

Tucker 1371

I'm actually in between a rock and a hard place on ammo right now because of the M1A I have on layaway and the $400 worth of ammo (1000 rds) I have coming in for it. Still owe about $850 on the rifle too. Because of that my AK has been out of ammo since I spent it all before leaving for the second half of training back in May.

My 1911 has a decent (by my standards) stock of ammo, about 300 rds of PMC Bronze. My Mosin has about 5 rds and I haven't shot it in months. My Mossy 500 youth 20ga that I've had since 4th grade is down to about 20 rds or less. I never really shoot it either.

P5 Guy

Guns vs Ammo

Buy guns that take the same ammo and stock up on that ammo?
Handguns 38SPL/357MAG or 40S&W or 45ACP and a pistol caliber carbine for your choice, to me seems the best of both worlds.
If you want a rifle stick to the same caliber, same thing with a shotgun stick to the same gauge.
You can't shoot if you don't have ammo.:mad:

BigJimP

Shooting is a hobby - and all hobbies cost money ...you just have to be honest with yourself on what you can afford.

Personally, I reload ...partly so I can justify shooting more / but partly because I like reloading as well. A good progressive reloader - like a Dillon 650 will easily load 1,000 rounds an hour ...so time isn't really a factor ---but yes, you need to invest in good equipment and have a place to set it up.

It makes no sense to me to own guns I don't shoot - so I shoot everything I own. I primarily shoot 1911's - and for general range training - I do shoot a lot of 9mm in 1911's vs .45acp because I can reload 9mm for under $ 5 a box / and .45acp is around $ 9 a box ....plus I like shooting 9mm in a 1911 - its a good caliber / and better practice than shooting a .22 conversion kit..