Guns of the Hollywood west

T. O'Heir

Geezuz, please reduce the size of your pictures. 1,000px × 1,600px is waaaaaay too big.
"...a pressure of one ounce..." That'd be Hollywood BS. Just like everything you see in TV or movies. Just holstering an SAA with a 1 oz. trigger would set it off. So would just dropping the thing.
Nothing in The Rifleman or any other TV show or movie is remotely real. Starting with everybody running around with a Colt revolver. Most people, especially cowboys(at $30 per month if they were lucky and experienced), could not afford a firearm never mind a high priced Colt. Or any hand gun or a horse and saddle.
"...got off 12 shots..." Roy regularly got more than that out of his SAA.

woodnbow

Geezuz, please reduce the size of your pictures. 1,000px × 1,600px is waaaaaay too big.
"...a pressure of one ounce..." That'd be Hollywood BS. Just like everything you see in TV or movies. Just holstering an SAA with a 1 oz. trigger would set it off. So would just dropping the thing.
Nothing in The Rifleman or any other TV show or movie is remotely real. Starting with everybody running around with a Colt revolver. Most people, especially cowboys(at $30 per month if they were lucky and experienced), could not afford a firearm never mind a high priced Colt. Or any hand gun or a horse and saddle.
"...got off 12 shots..." Roy regularly got more than that out of his SAA.
See, in a few years, y’all will have broadband and then you’ll enjoy the larger pictures because... you can see more! Of the details of some of the fine firearms others are sharing with us...

AKexpat

@Driftwood Johnson

I had to start another post about Merwins and Hulberts because this board only allows me to post six photos per post.

Thank you for reposting that here. I don't recall the other forum/board where you did pretty much the same. Very good, and since you had little response, it may have had the same effect as this old joke:

Q: Have you heard the roof joke?

A: It's over your head.

Kudos!

Jim

Old Stony

It is amazing how many Colt revolvers and some rifles have no front sights on them in the movies, as well as how many rubber guns they use. I know it's all not a historically correct venue and just entertainment, but they can sure be creative. I recently bought a Hollywood prop gun, fixed it up a little and gave it to my friend. It was a Henry with a brass plated frame and he needed another brass gun over his fireplace. The barrel was simply stuck in the frame and pinned in with a pin through the chamber area. The action actually worked quite well and was a good reproduction of an original...from a Hollywood state of mind ! It's in another state now, I'll see if he can post a pic or two of it.

Driftwood Johnson could you explain what you mean by preparing a revolver before shooting blackpowder powder in it?
I’ve loaded and shot some in my stainless SBH using 44 magnum cases. And would like to do the same with my blued Bisley SBH in 45 Colt.
Cleaning the stainless SBH wasn’t to bad as I could see things but I’m leery of doing it in the Bisley.

Howdy

Basically, to prepare a rifle, shotgun, or revolver for Black Powder cartridges, I take it completely apart, or as completely apart as I feel comfortable. Then I strip away all the oils and lubricants already there, bringing everything down to bare metal. I usually use drugstore rubbing alcohol for this. This includes stripping everything out of the bore and cylinders too. Then I liberally relubricate everything with Ballistol before reassembling. That's it. Contrary to popular belief you do not have to strip down a firearm completely to clean it every time you shoot it with Black Powder.

And I always use a Black Powder compatible bullet lube on my bullets. Using standard modern hard bullet lube can result in hard fouling that is difficult to remove. I usually use bullets lubed with SPG. In the past I have also used standard bullets that I melted the lube out of and pan lubed with a mixture of 50%Crisco/50% Beeswax.

For a more detailed explanation with photos, check out post #46 in this thread on The High Road.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/how-involved-is-bp-revolver-cleaning.859465/

Hawg

Contrary to popular belief you do not have to strip down a firearm completely to clean it every time you shoot it with Black Powder.

This is true. I seldom take mine completely down.