Guns & Harleys

Status
Not open for further replies.

YukonKid

Craig, my Uncle had a tiger for a while and the it was a nice bike except we had to mess with the electricals a lot. I like the Bonevilles though, they look really classy.

Playboy, i dunno...i am just not a Ford guy, I dont really like their product. I guess my experience is the opposite, I have owned all the brands as well and GM/Chevy were the only ones i found to be completely reliable and solid. But different trucks for different men i guess.

Elvishead

Harleys and Smith's ever time, nothing else.

But my wife says "Let's take the Goldwing out" And she likes the CZ best

JaserST4

I'm currently lusting after the new Buell 1125r to replace my RC51.
It looks good performance wise but those radiator pods would take some getting used to.

I have a Ducati myself, hense the ST4 in my name. I just changed the timing belts on her and need to let her out of the stable soon. I suppose I should have a Beretta to match but I'm a 1911 guy. I probably should get a Harley instead of trying to imitate Troy Bayliss at my age though!

crashm1

Italian bikes rock!

I like Ducs but am not real excited about the maintenance required. My wife has an older 900SS that I need to adjust the valves and replace t belts on this spring. Being an auto tech I can't bring myself to let someone else do it. When I first got back into motorcycles I had a hopped up soft tail, it was a cool in town bike but once I moved out to the boonies I was grinding frame real quick.

Desslock

I'm a 1911 owner & I ride a 1982 Honda V45 Sabre. 1911's go with anything.

I used to despise Harleys for years because of the "get a real bike" mentality that many Harley owners have. Hell, some of them even give you a hard time if you don't get the "right" Harley. As I got older, however, I started to realize that I shouldn't fault the machine or many other riders due to a handful of loudmouths with too much money to spend. Most Harley people I've actually spent time with are decent, regular ol' people like me, and they never give me crap about riding a metric. In fact, I get a lot of help and pointers, especially from the old timer Harley guys.

I also used to think Harleys were too expensive until the Nightster came out. What a badass looking bike, and retails for under $10K.

Adventurer 2

I own an FZ1. I am going to add a dual purpose bike soon. The new crop of 250s caught my eye. Also, need to get one of those big, slow bikes because riding that at the speed limit would be better than riding a fast bike slow (the speeding tickets hurt).

The Tourist

Desslock said:
Most Harley people I've actually spent time with are decent

I agree. In fact, the president of my MC rode a BSA Rocket 3, not a Harley. I think bikers pretty much simply like to see folks out enjoying themselves.

Having said that, I think what people run into is bikers simply not tolerating phonies and guys denigrating a Harley, usually because they don't have one.

And it usually happens in the same fashion. The bikers are together, laughing, sometimes just out at a campsite. It's the wannabee who makes all of the ruckus about Harley riders.

I think they get mad because we didn't notice them and get all mushy.

As to forums, I've noticed that the guys who give you the most grief are guys who are big shots in cyber-space, but actually fraidy-cat guys around bike shops. And there's no reason for this.

I'll sit all day with a newb learning to drive his new Sportster if the guy is serious and sincere about joining the sport.

The guys who grind me are the folks who buy every strip of leather in the "road clothes" section, show off fresh ink and then tell war stories.

We all had to start somewhere, and there's nothing wrong with simply saying, "I'm a new rider."

CraigC

I also used to think Harleys were too expensive until the Nightster came out. What a badass looking bike, and retails for under $10K.

That damn Nightster is trying to get me and Dad in trouble. He's already got two bikes but it's calling his name big time. I just think it's the coolest looking bike they've ever produced. The new Crossbones is wicked too.

I agree, there are cornholes and posers on both sides of the fence. Fortunately they are in the minority but do their best to ruin it for the rest of us. Me, I just like to ride and bought the bike I wanted, regardless of what anybody else thinks about it.

Desslock

Yeah, it's the poseurs who have to have Harley Davidson (TM) brand underoos, lawn furniture and slip-on moccasins, but put 25 miles a year on their bikes because they trailer them everywhere that grind me. But, as I said, I have come to realize that they are fewer and farther between then the regular ol' Joes and Janes who simply like Harleys. If I ever do get a Harley I will refuse to purchase anything that says "Harley" on it other than actual motorcycle parts. Just a basic, no-name leather jacket and Levis have always suited me. I like subtle.

Edit to add: I also think the Nightster is their best looking bike ever. I want the OD green one.

The Tourist

Desslock said:
no-name leather jacket and Levis

I feel pretty much the same way. My problem is comfort.

If you saw my leather jacket, you'd swear it looks plain. It has a simple Eton collar. It's a Harley jacket. I think the sleeves are cut in a "banana" shape that makes it easier to bend.

Same thing with jeans. I wore Wranglers for decades, and liked them, no contest.

Then my wife noticed that Harley jeans were on sale one weekend, so I tried on a pair. I'm still wearing them. I have a pair of lug-soled boots I like.

And that's my argument. There's no problem with things if they're honest. For example, I have only one decorative cover on my bike. On my points cone is a simple turned cover that says "1550." That's what's really in the motor.

But my disdain is for guys who don't make the decisions. They give beans about comfort in a driving rain (which is why an Eton collar makes sense). It has to have a concho somewhere that says "HD." They are clueless when you ask them why they cut the sleeves off of a perfectly good jean jacket.

For the purposes of this debate, look at my 1911. Terry and I had several telephone conversations in discussing the customization of my pistol. And it was time and money well spent. It might not be "your gun" but it has suited my needs and desires since 1985.

Hawg

I used to despise Harleys for years because of the "get a real bike" mentality that many Harley owners have.

I like to tease rice bikers but that's all it is. I prefer old Harleys and don't want anything else. I was riding a perfectly good Kaw when I got my first Harley up and running. I rode that Kaw around the yard one time after that. It felt like riding a sawhorse on wheels. I never rode it again. It sat in the back yard and rusted down. BTW, I like 1911's and single actions.

The Tourist

I think it runs deeper than we think. I was reminded of that last night.

I was on another forum and we got into a discussion on a differing topic. As you can imagine--and I'll admit it right away--I didn't get all of this gray hair being a wuss on the food-chain. A kid whelped, I snapped him back into place. Maybe impolite, but not wrong.

I believe Harley guys do that. But I defend the reasons.

For one, you have to work hard and sacrifice a lot of other things to own a Harley. The after-market work you do kneeling on a damp garage floor all winter can easily be surpassed by some metric V-twins.

We've spent a few decades learning how to handle big bikes. Along with that culture comes the inevitable socilization with men and type-T personalities. I've got a few scars, so do you. Usually from being a stupid kid who had to learn.

So along comes this debate, and it's on a very similar topic. In the early 1980's there were no custom Springfields you buy across the counter. The idea of a combat ready .40 was a dozen years away.

We obtained the pistol we needed/wanted the way we received everything else. We got a job, we sacrificed a little money, bought the best Colt we could find. Then we sought out a custom builder.

I'm not trying to be smug, an elitist or a preacher. But that's a real-deal go-fast Harley sitting there, and that's a custom Tussey pistol. I earned the scars, lost the money and attained some valuable life lessons in that pursuit.

So if I square my shoulders once in a while with that "you're a dumb kid" look on my face, don't take it that personally. It's not a sheepskin I represent, but it's a nice functional pistol, and it works from personal commitment.

CraigC

Took all the badging off mine. Ditched the cowbell horn, reflectors, football air cleaner cover and my "timing" cover has Starline .44Mag case heads. I don't really care if passersby know what it is or not. If they can't tell by the sound coming from those Bassani ProStreets, it doesn't matter anyway. :D

Naked%20Jugs%20-%20007.JPG

harleybass47

what i ride

my ride is a santee frame with a SS96 evo when i originally built the bike in '93 it had a 93" stroked shovelhead i rebuilt it in 2001 then in 2003 some idiot turned left in front of me and i rebuilt it again Mr. glock 27 rides with me to keep me warm

keep the shiney side up and the dirty side down

JaserST4

I passed a Harley today!

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and outpower me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of another of America's best bikes.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Schwinn, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

markj

If you can't wheelie an 800 pound harley in 3rd gear she needs a bit of work!
Brent

Get a goldwing dude. :) I can wheelie it right thru town :) right out of the box too :) carry a .45 or nuthing at all. I sold all my 9mms.

warrior poet

Triumph 650 Bonneville. 1968. Was my dad's, and he RODE it to Woodstock and Mardi Gras in 69. Gramps sold it while dad was across the pond, and I tracked it down from an old owner's card. Brought it back, restored and gave it to dad for his 50th birthday. He got hurt at work a few years later, mashed up his knee and can't ride, so he gave it to me. With any luck, I'll pass it down to my son, along with my Webley. Brit bike, brit gun, right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.