Gun Shows...what's the point anymore?

22-rimfire

As mentioned a number of times in this thread, gun shows aren't what they used to be. Fair prices still exist, but you have to know what you're looking at. Dealers at shows often are selling stuff on line also, so their pricing reflects what they think they can get via Gun Broker or another online auction.

So why go? Unlike many here, I personally don't like buying guns via an online auction. I like to handle them first.

If I decide to attend a gun show now, it is in hopes of finding something that is not available at local gun shops. But you still need to foundation in pricing when looking at stuff. Frequently something turns up that catches your interest that was not on your "list".

All that said, I didn't attend a gun show, local or not, in the last year. I used to love to go to gun shows. Been going to more knife shows as they are more along the lines of what gun shows used to be. Now, I go if the mood suits me. There is no overpowering need to go to gun shows anymore for me, but I am getting older and have much of the stuff already that I want. Seldom is there a new gun that I can't resist. That is not to say that there aren't a few that I would like to own that I don't.

Last edited:
While I have purchased guns at gun shows I guess I go to them to look and see what is out there. I am more likely to buy accessories, like magazines, holsters, optics and so on than guns.

The last gun show I went to I openly laughed at a couple of sellers for the prices they had on ammo. Anyone dumb enough to pay those prices is seriously too dumb to own a gun in the first place!

Sevens

Most of what I see in this thread is very, very, very, VERY large part of what makes many gun shows a lousy experience for so many. It is a total two-way street and the folks attending are just as large a part of the problem.

psyfly

A gun show is pretty much an open venue, a marketplace.

Don't just laugh at the high prices, make an offer, ask whether they'll trade, leave a card with an offer on it, some won't deal, many will.

The swap I mentioned in my earlier post happened because I asked.

My "safe queen" wasn't with me, I had to go get it. But the trade got made, and I have my K-22.

That's why I go. Oh, at the last show I attended, I picked up a great 3-position leather holster that fits my SP101 and my .44 Bulldog perfectly:).

W

dahermit

Most of what I see in this thread is very, very, very, VERY large part of what makes many gun shows a lousy experience for so many. It is a total two-way street and the folks attending are just as large a part of the problem.
You have to be specific. You had a frame of reference (specific things in mind) when you posted the above. However, readers may not have any idea what you are talking about. It begs the question: What exactly do you thing gun show attendees are doing to exacerbate the problem? Willing to pay too much? What?

smokehouse4444

Hmmm, well...I guess Sevens post and my lovely reply were removed. Probably for the best.

I will reiterate that I have gone to gunshows for many years. Unfortunately they have evolved the last few years (in this area, at least) into something that I really don't have an interest in anymore. I have nothing against them, just doesn't do anything for my wife nor me, as I've experienced the same thing that others have talked about.

This last time, as a fluke I stopped by for a quick five minutes on my way to some errands on the second day, just to take one more chance. It just happened to work out. Once in several years is not a good ratio, but hey, sometimes it works out. Maybe I will go to one again in a couple of years and see if anything has changed.

Tony Z

May have posted this already, buy I went to guns shows regularly in the 70's & 80's, sporadically in the next 20 years, and a bit more often in the present. Through the years, you can pretty much see the effects of gun law revisions, big box store intrusions in LGS and reactions by consumers, retailers & manufacturers to shootings.

I miss the days when the guns shows were collector and used guns. There was pretty much a gradual change to knives, tactical stuff and new stuff over the past 40 years or so, but there still remains some interesting stuff. I won't say I'll quit entirely, but I will say I don't see the good used stuff as frequently as I used to!

psyfly

Don't just laugh at the high prices, make an offer, ask whether they'll trade, leave a card with an offer on it, some won't deal, many will.

Oh I didn't just laugh. I made an offer and then asked what their bottom dollar was on the ammo and they wouldn't budge. This was the second day of a 2 day show and I walked by again shortly before closing and they hadn't sold a thing. I hope they enjoyed lugging it all back home. Greed only pays off if you make the sale.

22-rimfire

That just depends if the dealer is more of a hobbyist versus a FFL dealer who routinely sells ammunition and firearms. You can often get your best prices on guns from individuals who happen to have a table; sometimes two or three will go together and have a table to sell some of their own stuff. It is folks like this that make the shows fun.

bikerbill

I live in the same area as Smokehouse; I enjoy going to the show held at the Cedar Park Center every few months. Almost bought a Sig p238 there last time, but hadn't done my due diligence so I put it off. Got the same gun at McBride's for about $50 less, and they aren't a discount shop. The last good deal I got at a gunshow was when they were still held in Austin off Lamar; a Kimber UCII for $625 NIB ... now I just buy a chunk of jerky, wander around for a while, say hi to a few people I know and go home. They ain't what they used to be ...

Smoke, I got the Scorpion, love the gun, it's my new EDC.

Gunplummer

I am with Tony Z. The atmosphere at shows just sucks anymore. It used to be a lot more kicked back years ago. Lots of used parts and used guns and just gun stuff in general. People willing to talk a little if not busy with a customer. I was going back in the sticks to little firehouse shows for a while, but that kind of dried up.

Mike38

Where I live, besides the $9 to get in, they want an additional $6 to park - and for me it is also 3/4 tank of gas at about $25, so I am $40 in the hole before I go inside, which is why I haven't been to a show in a decade.

Guess I should be happy. The quarterly gun show near me is $2 to get in, free parking, and only 6 miles away.

One thing I didn’t mention in my previous post in this thread, the gun show is a great place to buy reloading supplies. Especially powder and primers, because there’s no $25 hazmat fee.

leadcounsel

I'm torn.

On the one hand, in the last 6 years I've landed amazing deals at gun shows buying, selling, and trading. And I love the interactions, browsing all of the tables of cool guns, knives and stuff... Most good deals come from private sellers/buyers wandering around. The occasional great deal appears from time to time on a table, but rarely worth the admission price and afternoon of wandering, and the typically long drive.

On the other hand, I do see a decline in good stuff, and the majority of table are waaaay-overpriced (as in "wishful thinking"). And more tables of non-gun stuff seem to be more prevalent. I understand it because guns have LOW margins and high risk/paperwork requirements. So it makes sense to sell "harmless" stuff like jerkey and vests and shoes...

And let's not forget the Negligent Discharges that we read about once in awhile...

What was a fun hobby and past time (gun shows) is now just largely a waste of time, in spite of some great deals in the last 6 years. It has gotten worse over the years. It's frankly much more efficient to browse the online classifieds and get exactly what you want.

Then again... when folks say it "sucks" as I have, it really just boils down to how many good "deals" are to be had. It depends on what folks think are a good "deal." I think what's happened is that both buyers and sellers are generally more knowledgeable or at least able to look up prices today than 5, 10, or more years ago. So, really, what I read, is that a great show is when you've been able to really get a loooowww price, which if read properly is taking advantage of an unsuspecting or unknowledgeable person... maybe not, but that's one interpretation.

Anyway, I have gotten a lot of very fair and great deals where the other party was as happy as I was. But sadly, it has gotten noticeably worse over the years mostly with extremely high prices (where the sellers were trying to take advantage of buyers) and less gun stuff...It's a sign of the times though that the antis are winning small victories by shutting down gun shows...

Last edited:

Machineguntony

I forgot to mention the thing I hate the most about gun shows: the frikkin lack of muzzle control at these gun shows.

I'm still going to the next show, though. :D

CajunBass

I go to gun shows to walk around, look at stuff, talk to people, and have something to do.

I'll drive to one in another town to have an excuse to take my wife for a nice drive, stop for lunch somewhere, stop at the gun show, walk around, look at stuff, talk to people, and...Oh, I said that.

I think I bought one gun at a show years ago. I've sold a couple others. I've bought some brass, polishing medium, books, jerky, and some earrings for my wife.

At some point during the year I'll sign my wife and I up for the NRA at a gun show. We usually get in the gun show free when we do that. They give us a hat that I'll give to some kid I see standing around. There is always one, and I've never had one refuse it. They usually get pretty excited about it.

I've never really paid much attention to what guns cost at one. I used to work boat shows. I know we didn't offer any real "deals" at a boat show. Why should we? You just PAID to get in the door. You want to buy something. What shows, (boat, gun, home, etc.) really offer is a chance to look at and handle a lot of product, in a small area.

jmr40

I take cash and go to look. If you go looking for a good deal on a specific gun you'll usually be disappointed. But good deals are out there especially on used guns. It's like hunting for a buck that will make the record book, you may hunt for years and never take one that big, but you sure won't kill it sitting on the couch at home. 9 times out of 10 I don't buy anything, but my best deals on firearms have been gun show purchases.

dean1818

To me its entertainment

I go to a movie for $8, why not a gun show?

I get to fondle the goods of what my next purchase may be......

I "try" the jerky ..... 3 times :)

I buy silver, if the price is right

If I have a gun to sell, I walk around with it (I have sold some that way)

I look for deals (I found a like new P226 for $399 4 years ago) that I sold for $550

I look at old guns. (History buff)

I chat with the old timers

Its all good to me

Jeffm004

I agree with the guy that thinks the internet has leveled or compressed the price range of everything. You will have to do more than wander in to get a deal.