Gun shop employee

KyJim

If strength is truly an issue, the individual wouldn't be able to do either very effectively.
I've seen full grown men able to rack the slide on a Les Baer and some other 1911s only with difficulty. I cheat when trying a new Baer, I cock the hammer and then rack the slide. Granted, most slides are not that difficult to manipulate.

Mike-Mat

My first gun for home defense was a revolver. Specifically because it was a mechanical device that was simple enough to understand. In my opinion it was less likely to jam.

That was also in 1981. I think some of the lighter framed 9mm and 40 S&W are probably much better guns. Now I have an M&P 9mm that is super accurate, smooth, reliable and has a red dot for the ultimate HD in the dark.

I think for a lot of people that want a gun for HD, a wheel gun is a good first choice.

But as for the OP subject, Yes the store clerk sounds like an idiot!

Elvishead

Buzzcook

Perhaps there was a larger mark up on revolvers. It's a somewhat kinder interpretation of events.

Not sure if I can agree with that. Semi's as a whole are more popular, it would be the opposite.

TBS, the salesman sounded bias or condescending.

pythagorean

In my mind a revolver is simpler and easier to use for the first time than an auto. You either just pull the trigger or cock the hammer before pulling.
The auto is a bit more complicated to operate. Even in the case of a Glock one has to chamber the round before pulling the trigger.

Skans

You either just pull the trigger or cock the hammer before pulling.
The auto is a bit more complicated to operate. Even in the case of a Glock one has to chamber the round before pulling the trigger.

I'm just not getting it:confused:

If you just pull the trigger on a revolver, nothing is going to happen. You need to press a button to release the cylinder, swing the cylinder out of battery, load the cylinder, swing the cylinder back into position and make sure that its properly indexed - then you can pull the trigger and watch it go bang.

On a Glock you need to press a button to release the magazine, load the magazine, insert the magazine, pull the slide back to chamber a round then press the trigger and it will go "bang".

Is there really that much difference in terms of difficulty in the mechanical operations of a Glock or a revolver?

pythagorean

Skans,

I suppose neither one of us is the one to ask your question. We are both sufficiently proficient with either design.

However, if we should take a first-time handgun user/buyer to a gun shop and ask him or her what is "easiest" I bet they'd tell us a thing or two.

44 AMP

Staff
Broad general statements are fine, but....

Leaving aside the idiot behind the counter for a moment, a lot of you guys are missing an important point.

And that is the individual getting the gun. We know guns, and tons of things that are so basic that we assume "everybody" knows them.

We are interested in guns, shooting, self defense, CCW, failure drills, etc., etc., etc. Lots of folks aren't. And even some of those who are slightly interested don't have the skills developed (or the personal situation to develop the skills) to be confident, and able to use them effectively in a high stress situation.

Look how many times it get mentioned on the boards about "what if, if the heat of the moment, you forget to take the safety off?" And there we are talking about "experienced" shooters!

I'm not sure how you can't have enough strength to rack a slide, but still have enough strength to pull the double action trigger of a revolver while steadying your hand and handling the revolver's recoil.

This all depends on the individual, and the gun involved. For one example, my mother, a small woman, (5', 100lbs, size 3.5 ring) could not work the slide and load a particular .25acp. The small auto was too tough for her, due to the size of the gripping area, and the strength of her hands. She could, however, shoot a Model 28 S&W, or a Colt Govt model, although she wasn't really comfortable with either one due to their size.

The gun SHE chose as best for her was, (get ready) a Ruger Super Bearcat! And she was very good with it.

Considering how many different things are needed to make even a simple auto run as flawlessly as a good DA revolver, for someone with no experience (and unlikely to develop much) a DA revolver is far from the worst choice.

The analogy to buying a car isn't even close, as it is a truly rare individual that buys a car without knowing how to drive, or without expecting to use the car on at least a fairly regular basis. Not so with handguns.

While it was probably the best outcome, the clerk showed several levels of ignorance getting the customer there. He wouldn't work for me very long, but then, I'm not in the business of selling guns for a living.

Sport45

Skans said:
You need to press a button to release the cylinder, swing the cylinder out of battery, load the cylinder, swing the cylinder back into position and make sure that its properly indexed

I agree with all of this except for the part I highlighted. There is generally no need to index a revolver after latching the cylinder back into the frame. The hand will take care of that for you when you pull the trigger. Moving the cylinder once it's back in the frame only adds to the turn line since the bolt (or cylinder stop) is up.