Gun Recommendations For These Calibers.

Rothdel

Rojack do you mind if I ask a question?

Why the hurry to purchase a gun in each listed caliber?

You reference above, this is all about self defense. I would much rather have 1 reliable gun that I am extremely proficient with than a bunch of guns that I am not.

This is absolutely none of my business so if you tell me to pound sand I will do so.

Based on your posts it looks like money is a concern. Instead of buying budget guns of every caliber, focusing on acquiring quality over quantity might serve you better.

There are some great high value firearms out there. I think you found one in the Canik. The shotguns most of us have listed can be had for between $400-600 new. There are some good 1911's from RIA and Tisas in that $500-700 range. Many .22s can be had in that same $400-700 range. Obviously used you can spend a whole heck of a lot less.

With all that being said what's the rush?

In some (not all) cases you get what you pay for. A $400-500 AR can be a horrible mistake unless you know what you are looking for. I could not put one together for that price although I'm sure many people could. A good 308 outside of a bolt gun is going to be north of $900 and many will be north of $1500-2000.

Not everything is always worth the cost. Some high end custom 1911's costing thousands of dollars may not perform any more reliably or accurately than a production Colt, Kimber, or Springfield. In many cases you are paying for a name or higher grade finish's.

Not always though.

I would much rather pay $1000 for a decent AR than a $500 ATI. I would much rather pay $700-900 for Ruger or Smith than $300-400 for a Taurus. Does Taurus make some good guns? Of course they can and sometimes they do. In the case of Ruger you also get great customer service and easy access to parts. Remember the price of the gun is not always the only thing you are paying for. I love my Canik but found I needed to run 147 grain ammo in it to break it in before it would reliably cycle 124 or 115 grain ammo. Some makes/models are darn near impossible to get parts for and when you do need them they are pricey. A $400 gun my cost you hundreds to make it work the way you want.

So unsolicited advice.

Do your research
Go to ranges and test guns
Read magazines
Watch guntube channels (not all are created equal but most are fun)
Read and engage on this and other forums
Find a LGS with knowledgeable people you trust and can talk to and ask questions

And then when you are ready.....

Buy once regret once.

If you are going to rely on a firearm make sure its one you trust.

Rojack79

Well I finally got a 12 Gauge, a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security Model. Honestly I'm quite happy with it. The SCCY however I had to sell. That thing had way too many issues for me to be comfortable even pretending to use it for self defense. The Canik however was a dream, especially with the right ammunition. Cheap ammunition cycled it but it's cheap for a reason and after I get through this box of it I'm not buying anymore cheap ammo. Other than that my shooting day at the range went very well. Using the Canik I was able to his a nice tight group in a human head at 60 meters once again, my grouping for the chest was much bigger but out of the 70+ shots I put down range I only had around 8 flyers and most of those were the SCCY.

Rothdel

Rojack have you looked at any of the PSA options? I had the opportunity to try out an M4 and a couple of their other rifle offerings. I was impressed for the price.

Rojack79

Rojack have you looked at any of the PSA options? I had the opportunity to try out an M4 and a couple of their other rifle offerings. I was impressed for the price.
I haven't had the opportunity yet, unfortunately. But when I can I definitely will try one out. Honestly if I wanted to chop my list down to just three guns, it would be a Pistol, Shotgun, and Rifle. I've got two out of my three so far. Can't wait to see about a rifle.

Rothdel

The PSA M4 is around $500 right now if I remember correctly. Comes with Magpul furniture and the one I had the chance to shoot performed well for the price. You should check out the website. They offer some crazy deals.

jackstrawIII

.22LR/Magnum.
- Semi Auto - Ruger 10/22
- Bolt Action - CZ 455
380 ACP. ✓
9mm. ✓
45 ACP.
- Springfield TRP
12 Gauge.
- Rem 870 Express
5.56 NATO/223 Remington/223 Wylde.
- I'm not an AR guy, but I'd go Wilson Combat if I was.
.308 Winchester.
- Sako Finnlight

2wheelwander

I wanna play!

.22LR/Magnum - Marlin model 39 or Winchester 52 with period scope. Either of these will make you smile every time you pull the trigger. The Marlin maybe more so just because its a lever. The 52 is a solid one hole gun

380 ACP. Beretta 84

9mm. I'm partial to CZ so I say PCR

45 ACP Every self respecting gun collection needs a 1911 You didn't set forth parameters so I say go for a CMP WW2 pistol. If not maybe a Wilson or Dan Wesson

12 Gauge Benelli M4 or a nice used police trade in 870/1170

5.56 NATO/223 Remington/223 Wylde. Build yourself an AR and do it your way

.308 Winchester Easy peasy. Sig SSG3000

Rojack79

The PSA M4 is around $500 right now if I remember correctly. Comes with Magpul furniture and the one I had the chance to shoot performed well for the price. You should check out the website. They offer some crazy deals.
Alright, thanks for the heads up!

Rojack79

.22LR/Magnum.
- Semi Auto - Ruger 10/22
- Bolt Action - CZ 455
380 ACP. ✓
9mm. ✓
45 ACP.
- Springfield TRP
12 Gauge.
- Rem 870 Express
5.56 NATO/223 Remington/223 Wylde.
- I'm not an AR guy, but I'd go Wilson Combat if I was.
.308 Winchester.
- Sako Finnlight
I'm probably going to need to update my list again. I had to get rid of my 380 pistol because the SCCY just sucked. Ended up getting a shotgun instead though, a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security Model so it's definitely an upgrade from the Pistol.

I've heard aot of good things about the 10/22 so I'm definitely going to look into getting one.

Springfield TRP, alright added to the list.

Wilson Combat, alright.

Never heard of a Sako Finnlight but alright.

Rojack79

Ok so far thanks to all of your recommendations I have this list. If I have missed anyone's suggestions, I do apologize.

.22LR/Magnum. 10/22 Rifle, CZ 457

380 ACP. Kahr CW380, Beretta 84,

9mm. ✓

45 ACP. 1911/Tisas, Bul, Dan Wesson. DW Valor,

12 Gauge. ✓

5.56 NATO/223 Remington/223 Wylde. JP, Stag, Radical, Wilson Combat.

.308 Winchester. Ruger, Bergara, Gap Precision full custom, Sig SSG3000, Sako Finnlight

I already have a gun for 9mm and a 12 Gauge so I'm not going to list those two.

ballardw

I've heard aot of good things about the 10/22 so I'm definitely going to look into getting one.

One of the very nice things about the 10/22 is there are very many options available just from Ruger and the aftermarket is just about unlimited.

I'm not much of a gunsmith and upgraded the barrel, replaced the stock (my .22lr came with a 22WMR stock) and magazine release.

Rojack79

One of the very nice things about the 10/22 is there are very many options available just from Ruger and the aftermarket is just about unlimited.

I'm not much of a gunsmith and upgraded the barrel, replaced the stock (my .22lr came with a 22WMR stock) and magazine release.
I actually saw one at my local gun store that was dressed up like an AR rifle, lol. It was very interesting looking.

stinkeypete

.22LR/Magnum. CZ bolt action 555/556

380 ACP. ✓ Bersa Thunderer

9mm. ✓ Sig P210

45 ACP. Rock River Arms Bullseye Wadcutter

12 Gauge. Fabarms L4S Initial Hunter

5.56 NATO/223 Remington/223 Wylde. Rock River Arms LAR-15M

.308 Winchester. RRA RBG-1S Bolt or Winchester model 700

darkgael

Well….here is what I have and I am happy with them
.22lr…..Ruger mk.ii…….but nowadays i use a Nelson conversion for my 1911 and the Ruger stays home.
.22 Magnum….PMR30
.380…don’t have one. I do have a Russian made Makarov that I shoot a lot.
9mm…..a Hi-power
.45ACP……Colt Gold Cup
12 Gauge ……Mossberg 500 (among others)
.223…..Colt match target AR
.308…..don’t own a rifle. I have a 15” barrel for my T/C Encore

taylorce1

.22 LR- Bergara BMR for bolt action, Ruger 10/22 in semi-auto. Pistol Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark.

.22 WMR I'd pass on if you're not hunting with it. If you are Bergara BMR.

.45 ACP, I'm not well versed in. I have a Remington 1911r1 Carry Commander that a friend left me when he passed. I doubt I purchase another .45 ACP unless I get a PCC of some sort.

12 ga Rem 870 or Winchester 1300 I have had both for almost 40 years.

.223 I have/had several. I prefer bolt actions and have rifles in Savage 10, Remington 700, and Winchester 70. My one AR-15 in 5.56 is a Colt.

If you want to learn the mechanics of an AR use, as well as for range and home defense then buy for $600 and under, it'll serve you as well as the more expensive rifles. If you want to compete, then buying expensive AR-15 purpose built makes more sense.

.308 again depends on use. I have two Howa 1500 rifles and Remington 700 set up for hunting. If you want a range rifle, I'd probably look at the Ruger American Predator to get you started in .308 Win.

FITASC

There are so many choices from low to high dollar in these categories such as a Turkish 1911 for about $500 to a Cabot for about $8000 so some type of budget would be nice. Unlike most here, I like my shotguns for more than home defense. I like nice shotguns for birds and clay targets such as a Beretta DT-11 or Perazzi of Kreighoff Parcour.
I have some 1911s, but if I were to do it over again, I'd opt for a S&W 25-2 so I didn't have to chase brass.

22lr rifle? CZ to Anschutz, even a Remington 54 or Marlin 39/39A so shorts, longs, long rifle, subsonic, CB, shot, etc would all work. As for 22lr pistol, I like my K-22 Masterpieces

Don't own an AR any longer, but I would look for a nice bolt gun personally