Gun Prices !

BigJimP

Sure - prices are up / especilly on high quality guns....but its capatalism / and if I want to add guns to my collection now, I have to pay fair prices for what the sellers want...more or less..../..its a supply and demand world.

I can't predict what guns will still demand "collector" prices or "high end shooter prices" down the road..../ so investing in guns - for the sake of investing - makes no sense to me.

I invest in guns I like - and I shoot everything I own - regardless if it cost me $ 500 ...or $ 4,000...it doesn't matter.../ what matters - is having fun with the collection.

Overall my collection has grown in value...even as shooters ...but its very hard to know if its 30% or more in the last 10 yrs ....like in any hobby, some have gone way up ..and some not so much...

Pointshoot

"http://www.econbrowser.com/archives/...stats_deb.html

shadowstats debunked"

John

Thanks John for posting that. IMO its always a very good idea to get as many sides to a question as possible. Its all too easy (and human nature) to feel the need to 'defend' one's own position. Skepticism is smart. It helps you re-examine your own thinking and look to see if you have any blind spots.

I'd read that article you posted quite awhile ago- - and others by those who are shadowstats skeptics. The linked rebuttal in the article was put out by a government employee of the bureau of labor statistics - - and I just don't buy his arguments. If you read some of the comments, you'll see that others don't either. There is no space here to get into all the reasons why. - - People know what's happening in their own lives; when theyre told that prices are barely going up - - - they know what they have experienced instead. They see with their own eyes the totals at the grocery counter and the gas pump. They see that they pay more and get less in terms of quantity and quality for many goods and services.

A noted economist who was former Assistant Sec of the Treasury under Ronald Reagan, former editor at the Wall Street Journal, and a noted author - - Dr. Paul Craig Roberts has referred favorably to Mr. Williams work at Shadowstats many times.
This is as much as I feel its appropriate to comment, as this is likely more of a subject for an economic & political forum, not here. I come here for fun ! :)

Thanks again for the link. Regards, - -

Last edited:

FloridaVeteran

PointShoot - thanks very much for your polite hat tip to an old codger. It is tricky for folks like me, being on a board like this, because most posters presumably are looking for cutting edge information and most old farts like me tend to wander off into reminiscences. As for the latter, I figure it is a bit like how Indian lore was passed down, with no written traces.

Hopefully the next generation will be as gracious to the elders as you are, both in listening to and remembering the tales of those gone before them. Not that my 5-cent Coca-Cola one was a ground-breaker...

akguy1985

I remember when mosins were $64 all day long and RC KI98's were $199. Now those same K98's are $400-500 and mosins $80-89 wholesale.

thibaultfelix40

To relate this to guns, I have been gathering some old inexpensive 32's. I thought I would pick up a newer but still cheap solid frame 32 to compare with the older guns. I found all kinds of used 32 solid frames of all brands. However, at $249 a Taurus 327 SS was cheap as the second hand guns. So I get brand new,stainless, high pressure with a life time warranty. In 1990 how much would have to pay for a cell phone? My boss bought one about the size of a brief case for $1000. Microwaves, computers, etc. are also a lot cheaper. We live better than royalty and really rich people did less than 100 years ago. The last set of radial tires I bought cost very few dollars more than the first set I bought 40 years ago.

Pointshoot

"PointShoot - thanks very much for your polite hat tip to an old codger. It is tricky for folks like me, being on a board like this, because most posters presumably are looking for cutting edge information and most old farts like me tend to wander off into reminiscences. As for the latter, I figure it is a bit like how Indian lore was passed down, with no written traces.

Hopefully the next generation will be as gracious to the elders as you are, both in listening to and remembering the tales of those gone before them. Not that my 5-cent Coca-Cola one was a ground-breaker... " - - - FloridaVet

Well, its seems that many Americans equate 'the newest' with being 'the best'. And many of us think that everything of value was invented recently, and the only thing worth knowing can be found in books !

I think this kind of tunnel vision is less apparent with shooters/hunters who have been around the block abit, however. Most experienced guys I know are interested in results. If the old ways work and save them money, time, their hearing, wear-and-tear, etc - - - even the younger (but experienced) guys that I know, will be open to learning more.

I enjoyed hearing of your personal experiences, FloridaVet. Please continue to share them with us. All the best, - - - Rob