Gun Prices !

Pointshoot

:eek:

This weekend I was looking through the gun cases of some of the revolvers I own. In each case I have the sales receipt. - - Well I was looking back at receipts from 5 & 10 years back and more . . . and its almost 'shocking' how much gun prices have gone up. Even from only 5 years ago.
I really saw this with the S&W revolvers, though its getting to be more of the case with some Rugers too .
Sometimes its about a desireable gun that they no longer make (Oh why didnt I buy a S&W 696 when I had the chance !) Some of it has to do with higher gun buying demand. But you can see the price rise in models that have stayed the same over the years. - - A lot of it has to do with the bums printing too many dollars and making them worth less (but this isn't a political/economic forum so I'll spare you !)

I buy guns to shoot, not as 'investments' - - - But when I see used guns going for more than what I paid for new 5 years ago on some models - there are no concerns about getting my money's worth.

What are your guys thoughts on gun prices ?

testuser

We were talking about this in the car on the way back from the gun show today. Prices are fluctuating so much year-to-year, that I have no idea what anything is worth anymore.

I agree some of the prices are insane, especially guns up for auctions in my area. That said, revolvers were probably undervalued in the 90s and early 2000s. I recall purchasing a 5 inch M&P (pre-model 10) for $150 circa 2000!

Me? I was shopping for a .357 magnum. I was orginally thinking about a GP-100, because they're "cheap", but the new prices were in the $500 - $525 range, so I opted for an excellent condition L-frame 586 (no dash) instead for $50 more.

Did I get a good deal? Who knows...

Pointshoot

"I recall purchasing a 5 inch M&P (pre-model 10) for $150 circa 2000!"

I know, I wasn't going to bring up economics . . . but by some very sound calculations $ 150 in 2000 would be equal in todays dollars to (drumroll please) . . . . . $ 441.28 ! :eek:

Reference: www.shadowstats.com
look up 'inflation calculator' if interested in looking into it further

They compare the bogus government 'statistics' used now, to how the true numbers were previously calculated before they were rigged

Last edited:

45_auto

As Pointshoot pointed out above, you're lucky if they stay ahead of inflation. I buy them because I enjoy them, same with cars and boats, not as an investment.

Webleymkv

I agree some of the prices are insane, especially guns up for auctions in my area. That said, revolvers were probably undervalued in the 90s and early 2000s. I recall purchasing a 5 inch M&P (pre-model 10) for $150 circa 2000!

I think part of it was the large numbers of police trade-ins on the market whick depressed the price of all revolvers. Heck, I can remember back in the 90's when you could get used S&W M19's, 66's, and Ruger Six Series DA revolvers for $200-250 all day long. Those police trade-ins, however, have long since dried up and so the prices of revolvers have risen.

lamarw

Use this value of money calculator and see if it is real or imaginary. Since you have your recipts, take the price you paid and the date and enter it in the calculator. Get the results and please tell us if gun prices have gone up or is it just the economy. I will be curious to know. :rolleyes:

Here is a link to the calculator: http://www.coinnews.net/tools/cpi-inflation-calculator/

ClydeFrog

My input....

I wouldn't be to shocked by the huge increase in DA revolver prices.

Gun sales & gun shop profits have been sky-high in the last 3-4 years.
FFL holders & gun dealers want to make $$$. They know many gun buyers in the general public are new or entry-level. They(and the big firearm companies; Ruger, Taurus, Colt, etc) know most gun buyers want pistols & semi-auto models. A revolver is going to run almost the same has a pistol now.
It's just a fact of life.
In 2000 or 1995, a semi auto pistol may cost about $200-300.00 USD more than a DA revolver but I highly doubt you'd find a revolver priced the same way in 2012.

CF

Frasier

Ammo has gone up too. Three years ago, a box of WWB 45 acp cost $33...now it's at $40 for the same box. Glad I can buy reloads for much cheaper from a coworker. After buying a .44 Special, may have start loading my own, as this round is twice the price of .45's.

Technosavant

The price of every gun has gone up, not just revolvers. You can probably also name just about any reason you can think of and it will factor in somewhere- increasing commodity/metals prices, inflation, more expensive labor, etc.

The first gun I bought was an aluminum framed 1911 from Springfield Armory, and I paid $650 (2003)... now, that same gun will likely go for right around a thousand dollars, and that's if you get a great price.

New wheelguns seem to have gone up fairly quickly as well- they may get hit more by the increasing cost of labor (designs requiring more labor to build will just plain cost more than newer designs that don't need as much personal attention).

'Tis the nature of the beast.

old bear

I buy guns to shoot, not as 'investments' - - - But when I see used guns going for more than what I paid for new 5 years ago on some models - there are no concerns about getting my money's worth.

I like you buy guns to enjoy. To me that means shooting them from time to time, so the current price of any of my revolvers is a non issue to me. Nor do I consider any potential increase in value when I purchase any firearm.

Even though prices have steadily risen over the last 5-10 years, in general firearms of all types are a terrible investment. The reason I suggest this is, you have a limited market of potential buyers of which many only want a working firearm without regard to any special interest firearms. I will bet that 90+% of firearms owners have no idea what a Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum is or what the acronym P&R stands for. Lastly if you find a buyer who understands why the price of your (the seller) firearm is based on, the buyer may not have the funds to pay for your firearm.

I find it surprising the number of people who always seem to have a different firearm on layaway at the LGS. Now there is nothing wrong with using a layaway program, unless you the seller needs a cash sale NOW.

old bear

I like you buy guns to enjoy. To me that means shooting them from time to time, so the current price of any of my revolvers is a non issue to me. Nor do I consider any potential increase in value when I purchase any firearm.

Even though prices have steadily risen over the last 5-10 years, in general firearms of all types are a terrible investment. The reason I suggest this is, you have a limited market of potential buyers of which many only want a working firearm without regard to any special interest firearms. I will bet that 90+% of firearms owners have no idea what a Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum is or what the acronym P&R stands for. Lastly if you find a buyer who understands why the price of your (the seller) firearm is based on, the buyer may not have the funds to pay for your firearm.

I find it surprising the number of people who always seem to have a different firearm on layaway at the LGS. Now there is nothing wrong with using a layaway program, unless you the seller needs a cash sale NOW.

So my .02$ is buy the firearm you want and enjoy shooting it as long as you can..

Zhillsauditor

The price of every gun has gone up, not just revolvers.
Is that really true? I know when Glock started making plastic pistols they were able to under price S&W due to their newer equipment and the polymer. I had thought the switch to polymer guns had slowed the price increase of automatics.

Technosavant

Is that really true? I know when Glock started making plastic pistols they were able to under price S&W due to their newer equipment and the polymer. I had thought the switch to polymer guns had slowed the price increase of automatics.

Polymer ones managed to slow it, but in the last few years even those have risen. Sure, the rise is most noticeable among labor intensive guns, but even Glocks have gone up recently.

9mm

I was looking back at receipts from 5 & 10 years back and more . . . and its almost 'shocking' how much gun prices have gone up.
But your hourly wage was less also, and its more today and so are guns.

:)

As to more ammo, its supply and demand. 1970's we didn't have high cap 9mm's 15 round magazines shooting at the gun range 24/7. Today a lot of people own some sort of high cap 9mm and shoot more.

Also, 38's were more common back then/revolvers etc.. Today its more "modern" with "plastic" guns and less 38's.

FloridaVeteran

As a reference point, not ancient, but in all current history books, in 1972 I bought .38 SPL flat-point wadcutter reloads for one-cent apiece. That is without turning in replacement brass, as I recall. Of course, there were a few cracked cases here and there, but in thousands of rounds we never had a squib.

There is a lot to be said for the "good old days." For me, those days were the late 1940s and 1950s. Now, I am the Old Fart and mine are the Grandpa's tales. But they are true and maybe somewhere in there is affirmation of how our paper money has been devalued over time. I can remember buying a Coca-Cola in a bottle, from a vending machine, for 5 cents.

Gun sales & gun shop profits have been sky-high in the last 3-4 years.
The first part of that sentence is true, but not the second. Retailers are making the same wretched margins they were four years ago, and in some cases, they're doing worse.

When it comes to ammo, there's a parallel to gas prices. Retailers try to keep prices as low as possible while their costs creep up. Eventually, they have to raise prices, but they do it as slowly as possible. Margins on ammunition are thinning by the week.

Prices on new production guns have inched up a bit, but that's due to inflation, cost of raw materials, and fuel costs.

On the other hand, if we're talking about used revolvers, we're often looking at a fixed pool of supply, and the increases in price are driven by increasing scarcity and speculation.

Two different situations, really.

Pointshoot

No actually, I entered for July 2000 to July 2012 (lastest figures available) - - - the calculator on Shadowstats.com produces two numbers. One is the inflation based on the governments 'official' numbers - the C.P.I. - - that is, 'consumer price index'. But the economist John Williams, while working for industry noted that the government figures did not match the companies cost experience and they could no longer use them for planning purposes. He was tasked with finding out why this was so, and to come up with accurate inflation numbers. The CPI number was originally used to give people an idea of what it takes to maintain a constant standard of living. Starting in the early 1980s the government began to change the way their numbers are calculated in various ways. The inflation figure that is generally reported in the news does not include food & gasoline (a very large component of peoples expenses). Other tricks include using what they call 'hedonics' - - to give an example, if the price of steak is rising - - the government says "well, people would switch to hamburger" and substitute the hamburger price when calculating CPI. (This is for a figure that includes food - but is not generally reported in the news.) If the cost of what a person would have to pay to buy a computer goes up, but its 'capability' is considered greater - - they calculate as though the price had actually fallen based on their own made up estimates. The likely reason the methods for calculatiing these numbers were changed by the government, is political . . . politicians don't want the public to be alarmed & angered about rising inflation.

$150 in July of 2000 . . . based on current official CPI would be worth $198.88 in the lastest figures available - - July 2012 dollars.

If you calculate inflation based on the methods used all the way up until they started 'adjusting' them in the early 1980s - - - you get the $ 441.28 figure posted earlier.

The official year-to-year CPI inflation rate is about 1.5%.
Using the methods used prior to the early 1980s the rate of inflation of what an average person would have to spend to maintain their standard of living is around 9%.
Of course everyone's spending habits are different and any individual person could spend differently than 'average', but my own personal experience would lead me to believe that my living expenses are going up much, much more than 1.5% each year in order to maintain the same standard of living.

I subscribe to the www.shadowstats.com website where they go into all this. I think quite a bit of the information is available there for non-subscribers too.

This is not exactly a 'gun topic', though it does affect their prices too. I hope this is interesting/useful to some of you. I wasn't going to go into all this, but a couple guys listed the 'official' CPI based calculations and I wanted to explain the basis of the numbers I posted earlier.

Regards everyone, - - -

Pointshoot

FloridaVet - - my uncle (now passed on) was a WW2 vet. When we were kids he used to tell us how he had been able to buy a small paper sack of candy as a kid for only a nickel. We thought he was kidding us, & didn't believe him. - - Of course now when a candy bar goes for more than a dollar and we tell the youngsters we used to buy what were bigger candy bars for a dime and later for a quarter - - - they don't believe us.

This dovetails into an interesting conversation I had with someone yesterday regarding guns as an investment. Short answer: they're a terrible vehicle for future speculation.

He has a couple of Colts he's kept in NIB condition since the Reagan years. They've each appreciated by about $1000 in value since then, and he's holding on to them for at least another ten years with the expectation of profit.

Basically, he invested $1200 in 1988. Assuming he can sell them easily, he's sitting on about $3200. Seems great, right?

Thing is, he has to maintain those things. He has to provide storage. And he's had to do so for 24 years to make a $2000 return. Compared to having put that money in a mutual fund, that really pales in comparison.

Yet, people are doing it. It boggles the mind.