Gun models where slide control NOT to be used as a slide release?

csmsss

I still haven't seen any conclusive proof in this thread that one isn't supposed to used the slide stop/slide release any way he sees fit. What the manufacturer decides to call the part in the manual isn't proof of what way the said part is supposed to be manipulated.
Yup. For the most part, this is a discussion about semantics, not functionality. If you're worried that using the slide stop to release the slide will somehow damage the slide stop itself, get yourself a spare. They're cheap and can be swapped out in seconds.

Yup. For the most part, this is a discussion about semantics, not functionality

Yes and no. What was ascertained from the maunals is that the specificity of the name usually does not reflect specificity of intended use as stipulated by the manufacturer that has made the determination as to how the part can be properly used. They are the default experts for functionality regardless of the nomenclature.

Sport45

Yup. For the most part, this is a discussion about semantics, not functionality.

I get the same feeling. Bolt/Slide, Stock/Grip, Magazine/Clip, Stop/Release

When will it ever end???

alloy

What was ascertained from the maunals is that the specificity of the name usually does not reflect specificity of intended use as stipulated by the manufacturer that has made the determination as to how the part can be properly used.

sometimes with a 1911 i even call it a takedown lever or idiot scratcher.:)

I get the same feeling. Bolt/Slide, Stock/Grip, Magazine/Clip, Stop/Release

When will it ever end???

Contrary to some, semantics are very important when it comes to effective, replicable and properly comprehended communication, hence the rules of language.

In this case, there has been a sort of folklore that the slide control mechanism on some semi-auto pistols should not be used to release the slide and chamber a round because of the part's nomenclature as a slide stop and belief by some that the name limits how the mechanism can be used.

jg0001

The location of the SIG's on the P-22x series all but requires a sling shot approach.

Huh? On my P226, I pull back the slide, LOCK it in place, then flip the slide release up -- it happens to sit exactly where it needs to be when the slide is locked back. Release the lock and the slide 'slides' right off. I don't recall my slide shooting off anywhere. Perhaps if you try to do it in one motion without first locking the slide back...

molinee

I recently contact SW on their SW9VE and asked if it is a problem to use the slide stop to release the slide after loading a new magazine. The response was..........."The slide stop may be used without worry". Now I don't know for sure if he means that he doesn't worry about it or if I shouldn't worry about it.... :)

MrNiceGuy

The Ruger Mark .22 series.....Ruger repaired my Mark II and explicitly stated to not use the slide stop as a release

that's funny
my ruger MK III manual states that you MUST use the slide stop to release the bolt
pulling back the slide will not release it to move forward.

i believe the same is said in my tangfolio manual

G-man 26

I call the lever a "release", because that is what I use it for. I think the slide on the glocks is a little tougher than the "release". One would think that it would take several "release" levers to wear on the notch in the slide.

It's somthing to keep an eye out for on other guns. I know I need to replace the release lever on my kimber because of this.