Gun models where slide control NOT to be used as a slide release?

Does anybody have manuals that show or state that the slide control is a slide STOP and not to be used as a slide RELEASE?

I know that supposedly this is the case for Glocks, but I haven't seen it in a manual. I realize that some makers call the control a slide STOP regardless of how it is to function and I seem to recall that Kahr actually referred to the part by both names (but I can't find that information now).

So regardless of what the part is called, does anyone have any documentation for particular semi-auto guns where the manufacturers says it is NOT to be used as a slide release? If so, what are the makes and models.

Please note, this is not a request for which method is better or whether or not it is a fine or gross motor skill.

Ben

The kahrs will not release if there isn't a loaded magazine in the well or the slide is pulled back a little past the rear position.
Otherwise it works fine
Ben

Last edited:

David the Gnome

Ben said:
The kahrs will not release if there is a loaded magazine in the well or the slide is pulled back a little past the rear position.

The Kahr manual says specifically to always use the slide release to chamber the first round.

nikdfish

Kel-tec PF-9. The relevant part is referred to in the manual as a "slide stop". After a magazine change, you rack the slide to release it (trying to thumb it down generally doesn't work...).

Nick

Last edited:
The location of the SIG's on the P-22x series all but requires a sling shot approach.

Why, is it located in the next county? On my 1911, I often use of weak hand to release the slide, so location isn't really an issue.

Seriously, the issue here isn't which hand it can be done with, but what is documented from the manufacturer.

CortJestir

The Ruger LCP comes immediately to mind. The manual labels it as a "manual slide hold open" and is used to specifically lock the slide back to check the chamber.

a7mmnut

What's wrong with changing the angle of the slide engagement surface so you CAN use the gun as is practical? :confused: -7-

Willie Lowman

Glocks?

Double Naught Spy
I know that supposedly this is the case for Glocks, but I haven't seen it in a manual.

Chris1254
Glocks as well. Meant to hold slide open, not for release.

I am reading from the manual that came with my G24C. The same manual comes with all Glock pistols.

Top of page 23; 4. After the last round has been fired the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and either push the slide stop lever downward (23) (see photo 2), or pull the slide slightly backward and allow it to spring forward. The weapon is now again ready to fire.

...Not for release huh?

IanS

I consider them slide stops no matter what type of autos I may be handling. 1911s, Glocks, SIG Sauers, HK's, XD, M&P, Beretta 92 etc etc. (SIG P232 and Walther PP's don't even have slide stop controls) I use the sling shot method for every auto. That's entire hand over the slide not thumb and forefinger. There's no chance of fumbling for the control, positive chambering, and its engrained into muscle memory. Works every time for every auto. All assets in a life or death situation.

Is there less wear on the slide stop by doing this? Maybe. But that isn't the reason I sling shot. Do I discourage others from using the slide stop as a slide release? No. Its up to them.

Last edited:

curt.45

you all mean to tell me I need to start reading the manuals that come with my guns.

whats next?

asking for directions?

Thank you oneounceload, Dave and Willie. That is the particular type of information for which I am searching. Willie, I really appreciate the quote from the Glock manual. I have always heard that it is a slide stop on a Glock, but never seen any documentation at all. The fact that the process is clearly described is terrific and curtails any argument over part nomenclature (whether it be a stop or a release). I don't own a Glock and so what I know of Glocks has been what Glockers have expressed to me. Come to find out, a bunch are out of line with the manufacturer's information.

Ian, I think you completely misunderstood the thread.

Yeah, reading the manuals is a good idea. Keeping them is also a good idea, something I have neglected to do for a couple of my guns and several of my guns didn't come with manuals because I didn't get the guns new.

BurkGlocker

I have found that sometimes after I have used the slide stop on my G21SF that it wont go back fully into battery. So I have made it a habit to rack the slide rearward to chamber a round. My Taurus 24/7 will go back into battery using the slide release without a hitch. Maybe it has to do with the spring weights... I dunno...

jpoolsmyd2

two reasons I don't use the slide catch as a release
1. training to use same motion/gross motor skills to work the slide. The same hand action works the slide no matter what. Always grasp weak hand and push forward with other hand
2. slide catch will wear over time if you just use it to release the slide. the edge where it holds the slide will get rounded over time.