Gun Ettiquette, is it waning??

SIGSHR

Remember how few shooters receive proper instruction in firearms handling today. And military service is not such a great place to learn. I received very little firearms training in my Army years 1967-1971 and I recall Jeff Cooper writing that his correspondents in the Sandbox were appalled at the careless weapons handling they saw. I note that at a new range that opened up not far from me they require you to watch a video on range etiquette and safety before you can use their range for the first time.

ms6852

When the RO handed me his gun I moved into my stall, dropped the magazine and placed it on top of the towel I have my own guns on. I than cleared the chambered round. I inspected his gun pointed at the targets and at his request dried fired a couple of times. He was really proud of his gun. It was really nice. I congratulated him on his purchase, and than handed him the magazine and than this gun. I told him that I never hand a loaded weapon to anyone as it was instilled by my parents that it was good practice. I thanked him for letting me check it out. I hope that my subliminal message will sink in.

Jim Watson

The person overseeing a commercial range is a "range safety officer" only by courtesy. There is no training or certification required, he may just be a clerk at a FFL business.
As the referee at the boxing match says, "protect yourself at all times."

I shoot mostly IDPA these days, with history in IPSC, USPSA, ATA, IHMSA, and NRA.
Competitive shooting is under better safety control than a lane rental facility. It helps that we are all doing the same thing and are expected to know the rules and pay attention.

tirod

I've been the Range Safety Officer in my unit and have been in the ranks shooting on military ranges for 22 years.

In larger groups safety is a concern.

Now, taking that for what is meant, how do you conduct operations on a range which is live at all times with loaded guns in the possession of all participants, including instructors?

I shoot at a public range which has no RO and I find it interesting that some come with guns in cases only, only load them on the line, and then return them unloaded to the case when leaving. Yet it's a CCW state and I brought at least one of mine in a pocket or belt holster - loaded. I leave with it loaded after shooting it. I carry it loaded on me down range and shoot other guns with it on me loaded.

Well, think about it. Got up in the morning, put on my pants, put on the gun, when about the daily business armed, like, buying more ammo at the store on the way to the range, filled up the car armed, drove it armed to the range and unloaded the gear armed.

And once there I'm supposed to unload it and point it safely downrange at all times. Any gun I'm shooting empty gets that treatment for the benefit of others around me - once it's out of the holster. Otherwise, no. If i'm shooting a rifle that day, the pistol stays put. And likely nobody knows.

It's a study in contrasts, and when you think about it becomes amusing.

Pigeon.knight

I don't think it's unreasonable to clear your season before allowing someone else to inspect it. Really your ensuring that no one gets hurt by accidental discharge.

boatdoc173

ms6852...wow what a way to be introduced to a new range. A Rso who doe snot follow the rules. YOU are right. I would have refused to even look at his weapon until it was in a safe condition.

Bluestarlizzard

On one hand, my Dad and I often hand back and forth loaded guns (round in the chamber) and the etiquette involved mostly is "It's loaded" said aloud.
We also hand guns (loaded or unloaded) back and forth by passing the grip to the person being handed the gun, which I was taught was the way of things.

I would generally assume the way to hand someone a gun to be obvious, but since what I think is obvious isn't always and it hasn't been mentioned (that I saw) in this thread, I thought I'd point it out.

However, I think at a range that is open to the public (and I consider "public" anything that isn't someone's private range at their home, including private club ranges) should maintain more strict standards, just because you don't know the people or the standards to which they are trained and you've got more going on.

buck460XVR

A range Officer is not a trained military position. Just a guy with a title.

Some of the worst experiences I have had dealing with gun safety have been with ex-military people. IOWs, I would not assume just because someone is ex or current military that they are any safer with firearms than the RO was. Many times those folks with everyday contact with something become complacent. This is why you see so many clerks in gun shops handing over firearms without opening the actions.

Again, one needs to create their own safety net when it comes to guns. While it may not be the best of etiquette to hand someone a loaded firearm without opening the action or dropping the mag, it can be done relatively safely. Again, hard for most modern firearms to go off by themselves, if there is never a finger on the boom-switch. This is before and after the exchange. Most of the time, when I clear a gun or open it's action, it has to do more with my fear of what the person on the receiving end is going to do, than what I am doing.

peggysue

In my years in the military I have found range trained officers by the military or police better then some of the want to bees I have come across at ranges. Just an old persons opinion.

jstert

im retired so i go to my outdoor range in middle of a workday when there is nobody around. im my best range officer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rpseraph

My range is... well relaxed would be an understatement. I have never seen a Range Officer, and I have rarely seen any actual staff. It is generally policed by members.

I did get to be there for an altercation between an older gentleman and a younger shooter. The younger guy pulled the trigger and nothing happened, so naturally he shook the gun, banged it on the bench, and swung the muzzle around and muzzled the whole LINE of us... before we could say anything, a 70-something gentleman grabbed the muzzle, pointed it strait up, ripped it out of the guy's hands, cleared it, threw it on the bench and told him to go home. It... was awesome. The guy apologized and the older guy actually talked with him for a while and taught him some basics. Don't want to gun-shame people, but it is a hobby with potentially serious consequences. As an instructor once said "you can't yell 'FORE!' after you accidentally shoot at someone"

Metal god

The person overseeing a commercial range is a "range safety officer" only by courtesy. There is no training or certification required,

My local range you must take a NRA certified class then 8hrs of range training . The 8hrs is usually on your first day at the range though . Another SRO will shadow you all day while you do most of the heavy lifting sort a speak .

I do how ever go to an indoor range here and there it does seem that the SRO are just clerks .

As for the OP . You shoot long enough and you'll come across it all .

boatdoc173

etiquette? how about gun safety

all guns are loaded, finger off the trigger.... that goes for showing off your toy too. You and your friends did it right. THE RSO was way out of line

they are supposed to be our examples of safety not carelessness

good show!

SIGSHR

I met few "gun guys" during my Active Duty days 1967-1971, met far more in the Guard and Reserves and did 20x more shooting. If etiquette is waning it's because it is not being taught or enforced.
Yes, I always thought you hand guns over empty, cylinder open in a revolver, magazine out and slide locked back on a semiauto.

Erno86

May I add...that if you hand a loaded/unloaded gun to anybody --- Proper etiquette is urged, that the receiver person acknowledges that he has physical control of the firearm --- By verbally saying {if possible}...I have it or I got it.