Gun cleaning in the field?

Shadow9mm

So been following the stuff in Ukraine, got me thinking. I have a fair bit of cleaning equipment. I clean thoroughly after every outing. Go through a fair number of patches. And most of my stuff is definitely not built for portability.

How does the military deal with weapons maintenance? What are some good options if one wanted to be able to clean a rifle and pistol in the field. Or just at a training school for a week without lugging a bunch of gear and going through a bunch of patches? What oil and cleaning bottle can one get that wont leak everywhere.

44 AMP

Staff
Take a look at the GI cleaning kits. Sectioned rods, tips, brushes, bottle for oil/solvent with secure caps, all made to fit in a belt/harness pouch or the butt trap of the rifle. You could add a boresnake to that and be about set with some patch materials.

Pathfinder45

In field, just in case you stuck your barrel in the mud while crossing a creek, or any other possibility of that nature, .... it suddenly becomes important to have a field-expedient method to remedy the situation.
You can have better equipment for an excellent job at home on your workbench. But you need something simpler to do a good-enough-but-not-perfect job to get back to hunting. You can redo it to a higher standard and polish when you get home later.
It's a good idea to have some extra things at camp that you probably wouldn't want in your backpack. Like a can of starting fluid along with a more substantial cleaning kit. I like bore-snakes for out in the field and will usually have just that, leaving other options at the truck or camp.
If you really take a messy spill with your rifle, you might have to take it back to camp for a serious work-over.

tdrizzle

As far as patches go, I had read of people tearing bits off of t-shirts in the field to use. Same place also mentioned a platoon clearing rod, a wooden straight stick or cleaner long enough to get mud out of a bore or remove a stuck case.

Maybe the RTO or medic carried it? Don't remember, but it would be brought to those who needed it. That way not everyone had to have one.

44 AMP

Staff
If you really take a messy spill with your rifle, you might have to take it back to camp for a serious work-over.

Which is why the GI cleaning kits are made to be on your person, or even in the rifle (in the older days). Because a soldier will be able to find the time to punch the bore clear with a rod, (if he's not in immediate danger) where going back to camp simply isn't an option. If you're hunting, needing to go back to camp in order to return the rifle to service generally is not a life threatening thing. In combat, it could be.

Ole yeller

Wife and I have been squirrel hunting 3 -4 times a week. When we get home i use a new boot lace with an oily rag and pull it through the barrel. Fits in my shirt pocket in a zip lock bag. Works for my .410 and her 20ga.

HiBC

It was a far more critical need when using corrosive primers.

What do you face with non corrosive ammo? I prefer to go afield with a clean.dry bore that has fired a few fouling shots . That ,IMO,makes for the most precise "money shot".
I'm in Colorado, cold dry conditions are slow to cause rust.

If the weather causes "wet gun" concerns, yes,an Otis Kit is worthwhile to have.
Anytime I feel a need, I can run a patch or two through. I light coat of CLP is a good idea sometimes.
A snow or mud bore plug is a serious problem. The Otis cable is enough to clear it. Sometimes a little light tape over the muzzle is a good idea. Or a balloon.
Don't put your gun or optics through warm/cold cycles. Condensation is water.
Keep them in the cold.

I can't imagine shooting enough ammo during any hunting season to worry about a need to clean. No need for copper solvent,etc,
Handle your gun with care, and you can generally keep it clean.
As far a deer stand scent/ attractant, has anyone tested Hoppes #9? Ballistol? It might not draw them in.

Slip and fall in a muddy creek ? Yes, you need a cleanup! I suggest using commercial cut patches to fit your bore.
The "Darn it! the patch got stuck!" routine is a tragic comedy. Unnecessary.Save your shirt tails for for field expedient TP.

The most used "gun cleaning supply" in my experience is a clean,dry hanky for the rain/snow on my scope lenses.

Ukraine? Battle conditions, an Otis kit is pretty good. And a tooth brush. The old shaving brush was good for a Garand or M-14 . CLP will handle most needs. It somewhat depends on the gun. At squad or platoon level a rigid cleaning rod might be good.

Last edited:

Mike38

Just shoot an AK. You find an old boot lace, tie a few knots in it to fit the bore, dip it in diesel fuel, pull it through the bore, bore is clean. To clean the action of an AK, remove top dust cover, pore some diesel fuel in it, rifle is now good for another thousand rounds. Am I kidding? Maybe, maybe not. :p

Shadow9mm

Take a look at the GI cleaning kits. Sectioned rods, tips, brushes, bottle for oil/solvent with secure caps, all made to fit in a belt/harness pouch or the butt trap of the rifle. You could add a boresnake to that and be about set with some patch materials.
A great argument for a rod over or in addition to a bore snake.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'd go with some kind of a rod in case the bore is plugged and a pull-through won't work.

A number of gun cleaning products (see a partial list below) are available on "wipes" that come in either single count packages or packets that have only a few wipes. They can either be used to wipe down a gun or as a cleaning patch.

Ballistol (singles)
Slip2000 (singles)
FrogLube (5 pack)
BreakFree (singles)
RemOil (singles)
GunScrubber (cleaner--no lube singles)
Barricade (rust protector singles)

Some also make products that are similar but are packaged in a "popup" container where you pull out a wipe and tear it off. These work just as well but the package is obviously far less compact.

44 AMP

Staff
The pull throughs are nice, and very convenient, storing in a very small package, but IF you actually plug the barrel, with dirt, mud, snow or plant matter, the pull through is no help, you need a rod.

Rods are also very handy if you get a case stuck in the chamber. Its really tough to push a rope.....

HiBC

The Otis is a cable. I think it would push out snow or mud. Stuck case? Maybe. Maybe not.

If you are fighting a war it might be best to have a cleaning rod not far away.

seanc

In the Ukraine, both sides use AKMs that come standard with a cleaning rod and a kit that fits in the buttstock. The kit has a bore brush, slotted screw driver and a pin punch.

After I fell in the dark once and got a combination of snow/mud jammed in my barrel, I bring along the whole cleaning kit to hunting camp now instead of just a boresnake. I'd imagine in a war zone, good enough gets the job done.

Pathfinder45

Starting Fluid

With a can of starting fluid you can spray out a lot of crud from the inner workings and nooks and crannies that are impossible to reach with a brush. The fluid evaporates completely in a short time leaving no residue. After that you can use some CLP or whatever that will leave the kind of residue you might desire. If you use it, do it out-doors, without smoking, and away from any source of ignition, as it is highly flammable.

WmMunny

Not sure I'd be happy spraying a volatile, highly flammable liquid into the innards of my favorite thunder-stick unless I planned to let it lean safely against something outdoors for quite some time...

Pathfinder45

It's ether; you can smell it. When you can't smell it, it's gone. You could use non-flammable brake-cleaner, but that's some really nasty stuff.

Shadow9mm

It's ether; you can smell it. When you can't smell it, it's gone. You could use non-flammable brake-cleaner, but that's some really nasty stuff.
As opposed to all natural, gluten free, organic starting fluid? Yeah im pretty sure that stuff isnt exactly healthy either, or something you should be sniffing to see if its dried up yet.

Pathfinder45

I think the pure stuff was once used for general anesthesia not that long ago. there are lots of worse products out there, like brake-cleaner, laquer-thinner, etc., that you don't even want to get on your skin, and definitely not breathe. Have you read the fine print on the products you are currently using? Maybe dig a little deeper and get their MSDS to know more? (MSDS=Material Safety Data Sheet for those like me that baffled at the over-abundance of acronyms these days.) Remember that in some jurisdictions, virtually everything causes cancer; ask California. Use what works for you, but know what you're using,what the risks are, and howt o mitigate those risks if you intend to use the product. The solvents I'm willing to let touch my skin are water, acetone, starting fluid and WD-40. Everything else, I want to know more about and try to avoid if possible.

P.S. I fogot to mention that Tequila makes good aftershave but I have yet to find it useful as a guncleaner.;)

Last edited: