Gun cleaning... How important is it really?

TheNatureBoy

Individual manufacturers recommend that you clean their product after X number of rounds are fired through it. Thats sort of a general statement I know but its good advice. Anything with moving parts needs to be clean in order for it to perform properly. Maintenance is a must especially when you consider the amount of money that burners cost, and our reasons for having them i.e. job, personal protection. We don't want any hang ups when its show time.

I know it isn't necessary but I usually clean my gun a few days after I've pumped a few rounds through it. Sometimes the same day. This probably has more to do with me being a neat freak than anything else.

A clean gun is a happy gun : )

paladin-34

I quit often clean after a range visit. But the reasons why very from corrosive ammo to light use. The guns I use regularly I clean the bore about every 500rds and a full teardown every K rnds. If things start to get two dirty I use some gun scrub in an aerosol can then oil it back up. But about half of my guns do not see more than 300 rnds /year, trying to keep track would just be to cumbersome so I clean them after every use.

For the military stuff quite often the seller nor the original packer will specify corrosive or non corrosive. I assume that all military ammo purchased without specifically being labeled non-corrosive has to be corrosive. If that ammo is shot the gun will be cleaned upon my arrival home, may be in the car while we go to dinner. Some of the other military shooters bring their equipment and clean at the field, what are your thoughts? Is that a little overboard?

Joe

SDDL-UP

I think a lot of people overclean their guns.

That said, a friend had to do a little cleaning on my Ruger Mark II this weekend AT THE RANGE, because I've never cleaned it.... okay, okay it's TIME to clean that one!

It's more critical with smaller caliber weapons because they can be more easily tripped up with crud.

If you are out in foul weather - clean it or at least oil it

If you are experiencing malfunctions - clean it

If you are experiencing a drop off in accuracy - clean it

Keeping you guns oiled is more important than keeping them spotlessly clean IMO... AR-15 owners might disagree.

bikerbill

I clean my guns after every use ... I don't know if they need it, but it makes me feel better ... and I for sure clean the two I bet my life on .. my PM9, which is carried daily, and my Springfield Champion 1911, which sits in my nightstand ... the last thing I want is some bit of crud gumming up the works in a dangerous moment ...

----

When they kick at your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?

cryption

I generally clean my guns every 500 rounds or so, sometimes longer on my XD-40 since I've been known to put 700 rounds through it on one range trip. Gotta love free ammo while qualifying.

mordis

I know this may sound horrid, to some of you, but, I have no idea how to tear down my glock. Ya i know how to take the slide and barrel off, but i dont know how to do the detail striping thing. I also have no idea were to put the lubrication on it. I clean my glocks barrel out after most every range session, but i shoot between 250-500 rounds each session. SInce i bought mine used i have no idea how to detail strip and lube.

Same goes withmy S&W m15-3 .38 revolver. I clean that after each session, and yet have no i dea how to details strip and lube it.

BobMcG

I do lots of cleaning. Due in part to shooting a lot of black powders weapons IE: flintlock muskets, cap lock rifle, cap & ball revolvers, BP cartridge shotguns and rifle. All with real BP. Oh yeah, lots of cleaning.
But you know what? I clean my smokeless weapons too after a day at the range unless I'm going right back out with certain ones again the next day that is. They'll get a wipe down and an inspection.

Why do I do things this way? Is it because I was always told to do it this way and so I do? Well, in a word, yes. They're probably others here in a similar boat too.

For me, it was part of my upbringing. Growing up with a DI (Non-Com, West Point) for a father during the Korean War I had certain rules of conduct that I had to adhere to starting at the time I entered Kindergarten. At five years old I was informed that I was entering a whole new phase of my life that was filled with responsibilities. Part of which was, having to make my bed a certain way every morning before leaving for school and always having my clothes folded properly and put neatly away along with all my other personal belongings. I was also informed that from here on until I was out on my own, my mother wasn't in my life to wait on me or pick up after me. Just as I was about to start school and before my father headed back to Camp Vincent (later became Camp Drum), he showed me how he wanted me to make my bed and then proceeded to mess it up and have me make it over a few times so it was ingrained into my head. One word from my mother that I didn't make my bed properly and I was going to be making it tens times over the next time he got home. I chose to never have to do that. And believe me, my mom saw to it that I towed the line.

Flash forward a number of years and I'm being instructed to always keep my weapons clean and the proper ways of doing just that. It was all free with a healthy dose of take care of your weapon and it will take care of you mentality.

Well you know, somethings stick with you and somethings don't so much. At 52yrs of age now, I don't consider my significant other as being there to wait on me or pick up after me, I'm still neat and tidy, wash, fold and put my laundry away but I no longer make my bed dad's way. Another thing I still do though is keep my weapons clean and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Magyar

I detail strip and clean every gun I own after I shoot it.
I relish having a clean, well-lubed gun; but this is perhaps too much for me..But, to be honest, detailing a few of my pistols are beyond my capabilities if I was so inclined....:)

Homerboy

Field strip every one of them after I shoot them. I don't believe in chucking a brush to a power drill, but they are spotless and lubed at all times. I clean them once a month even if I don't shoot them. (Bore doesn't need it at all, but a general wipe down and lube).

They all look brand new even thougb some are over 20 yars old. I once spent two hours with a lead removal cloth on my stainless revolvers, getting the cyclinder face clean as well as the cylinder holes themselves.

Magyar

I once spent two hours with a lead removal cloth on my stainless revolvers, getting the cyclinder face clean as well as the cylinder holes themselves.
Lead remover cloth is good, but you might cut down your cleaning time in half if use some FLITZ polish on your cylinder face...I hate those "racoon eyes"...:)

BillCA

I was waiting for someone else to say it, but since no one did, I will. To address CraigC's point about cleaning the same day as shooting because that's what you were told, let's look at the reason for that rule.

Up through and a little after WW-II, almost all the military ammunition made contained a corrosive primer compound. Firing your gun spread corrosive salts in the action, barrel and muzzle areas. As a result, these corrosive salts would embed in the bore and other parts where, if left to sit, would absorb moisture out of the surrounding air. The higher the moisture content around the weapon, the faster corrosion could start.

After the end of WW-I, with its miserable trench conditions, it was found that over one third of GI rifles returning needed to be rebarreled due to corrosion. Starting in the 1920s US civilian ammunition manufacturers began to adjust the priming mixture on their ammunition to contain non-corrosive compounds. By the late 1930s virtually all civilian made ammo in the US was of non-corrosive manufacture.

The US military began to switch to non-corrosive ammo just prior to WWII but our entry into WWII meant that innovative steps, like the use of non-corrosive primers, had to be stopped for the duration of the war. There is one notable exception; all US-made .30 US Carbine ammo is non corrosive. This accounts for the almost total lack of rusting found in M1 carbine bores and their overall fine condition. After WWII most Western nations, who manufactured ammo, began to make exclusively non-corrosive ammo by 1950

If you guys think you have it hard now... the program, up through WW-II, called for the use of scalding hot water (up to boiling temperature) to be poured thru a funnel down the bore from breech to muzzle. Parts like the bolts were to be soaked in hot water for three minutes, then agitated to dissolve the corrosive materials. Hot water was the most effective method of removing the corrosive salts and did not have to be especially supplied to GIs. The very hot water vaporized quickly, reducing the effects of residual water causing rust. All surfaces the have been touched by corrosive primer gasses (bolt faces, gas operating systems, muzzle breaks, etc) must be cleaned using the same method. After this treatment, a powder solvent was used to remove fouling followed by a light coating of oil. Graphite was used in desert and extreme cold conditions when it was available.

A more modern way to clean firearms exposed to corrosive primer compounds is to use a 50-50 mix of Ammonia and water to which 1-2 teaspoons, per quart, of Dawn diswashing detergent is added. Soak a patch in this solution and shove down the bore one-way only. Several of these patches, followed by a dry patch will remove almost all of the corrosive compounds (plus the ammonia will remove some jacket fouling to boot).

If you know any WW-II vets, they'll tell you that you should clean your rifle the following day (or 2nd day) after the initial cleaning. This is because small imperfections in the bore can trap the corrosive materials and as the weapon cools overnight, the condensing metal causes them to surface. This is still true. Follow-up cleaning ususally involves dry-patching the bore, inspecting and then coating with a corrosion preventative.

Surplus Ammo - Corrosive or not?
The Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact allies continued to manufacture large amounts of ammo right to the end of the Soviet era (1991). All of this ammo is corrosive primed. Much of this ammo is now in the US market place and can be had very cheaply. All of this ammo must be treated as if it were loaded with corrosive compounds. Indeed Russia continues to produce newly made ammo for export to the USA. Some of this ammo is non-corrosive and some is not. The Russians have gotten much better in the last few years about making the ammo they sell for export to the USA consistently non-corrosive. Branded products, like WOLF ammo are notable in this regard. Sadly there is still some commercial-boxed ammo in the market from the early days of Russian importation that is clearly Soviet-era surplus and as a result corrosive. As a result, it is strongly recommended that you treat ALL ammo generated in the former Soviet Union or Warsaw Pact nations (Albania and The Peoples Republic of China as well) as corrosive ammo.

All 7.62x39 of foreign manufacture, all 7.62x54r, all ammo, regardless of caliber, that comes out of a hermetically sealed ammo can (i.e. SPAM can), all ammo generated in the former Eastern Bloc, all Western-nation-made ammo predating 1950, be treated as corrosive. As well, all ammo from Asia (China, Pakistan, India in particular) should be treated as if it were corrosive primed. There are some exceptions to all the above but one would be very wise to follow the above suggestions to prevent damage to your guns

Wuchak

At a minimum I run a patch saturated with BreakFree CLP through the chambers and the barrel so there is a protective layer of oil on the metal. I also keep some pieces of an old t-shirt that are saturated with BreakFree (I put them on the table when I'm putting the Breakfree on the snake or patches and they catch the overflow) in a ziplock bag in my cleaning kit. I use these to go over the whole gun and wipe all the metal that I touched and I leave a light coating on all but my carry gun. Normally I just do a good quick thorough cleaning. It takes me about 5 minutes per gun and I've found that doing it at the range before I pack them up makes it much less of a chore. Actually it's not a bad way to wind down the day of shooting.

CraigC

Lead remover cloth is good, but you might cut down your cleaning time in half if use some FLITZ polish on your cylinder face...I hate those "racoon eyes"...

I hear about people getting anal retentive about the carbon scoring on the face of the cylinder on their stainless guns far too often. Regardless of how you feel about cleaning and frequency, using an abrasive like Flitz polish is NOT a good idea. Over time it can change angles, round off corners and basically take away metal that is supposed to be there and all for no good reason. If you shoot a stainless sixgun, it will have carbon scoring. No way around it. Aside from the potential damage, it is a tremendous waste of time and it serves no purpose other than to satisfy an OCD urge. Would you do it to a blued gun?

Don't look now, here's one of those poor, neglected guns in full color.
P1010128.JPG

Wuchak

I find that some Butches Bore Shine (let soak for 3 minutes or so) and a stiff plastic bristle brush make short work of the raccoon eyes. Occasionally a few passes with the brass or bronze bristle toothbrush are required for few stubborn spots.

Small Tony

Wow so many personal guidelines

As a soon to be new handgun owner. I thought maybe after a certain number of rounds one would clean or guage when to clean a gun.

After reading all the posts I am confused. Each post to this thread made a lot of good points. Seems there are many answers.

First never have cleaned a gun before when my gun arrives does it give you simple/laymen terms on how to clean your hand gun so when you go back to the firing range it will actually work?

My biggest fear is working on or cleaning my gun after a certain number of rounds and going to the range and having the gun not fire.

Question if possible I would like answered below:

1- Should I pay my local gun dealer show me how to clean the gun properly the first time? #2- And since there are a lot of different ways or times when to clean a gun... should I do it after each use? Or clean it after a certain number of rounds?

Thanks for any input...