Guess who finally wound up in jail?

jimpeel

Rich Wyatt of Gunsmoke Guns, and the butt of many comments on these boards, has been arrested for -- wait for it -- theft of firearms. Whoda thunk it?

SOURCE

‘American Guns’ star arrested for stealing guns
4/13/15 | by Daniel Terrill

Richard Wyatt, owner of the gun store highlighted in the short-lived “American Guns,” turned himself in to police Monday on an arrest warrant for stealing firearms.

The Wheat Ridge Police Department said the victim had consigned a rare and antique gun collection with Wyatt’s store, Gunsmoke Guns, in 2013, but Wyatt failed to return the items. The charge of Theft from an At Risk Adult is a class 3 felony.

More from "The Denver Channel" ABC Channel 7.

As well as THIS.

Everyone here in Colorado, except the uninitiated, are fully aware to stay away from Gunsmoke which, by the way, also seems to have a problem with a proper FFL according to the story.

Last edited:

jasmith85

I remember reading an article about the guy from Sons of Guns getting arrested for something much worse. It seems people from reality series centered around guns can't keep from being scum.

FITASC

And ONE jerk taints ALL of us as gun owners; the media will build the circus that ensues, just wait......

skizzums

I wonder it was pre-conceived to make these popular reality shows about gun "stars", to make sure the people they chose were criminals. what a better way to get people against gun-owners than using reality television, since that seems to be the only thing people care about these days

because you know there are thousands of class 3 dealers in America that are great people and aren't white trash.....design by the media?

Bucksnort1

I did not like his show, "American Guns." And as far as I was/am concerned, the producers of the show should have not brought in his wife, with her augmented you know what, and daughter. They added nothing to the show.

jimpeel

We had a lively conversation on this guy, his show, and his tactics HERE about four years ago.

He had numerous complaints that he was "selling" firearms to people and then doing the NICS check. If they failed the check, he would tell them that the sale of the firearm was final and he would consign the firearm, that they never legally owned, for a 20% commission. It was an underhanded tactic that should have sent him to jail long ago. Legally he had sold the firearm to a restricted person, even though they never took possession. The exchange of funds for the property was enough to consider it a legal illegal sale -- if you get the drift.

psalm7

I have'nt seen anything saying the Son's of Guns guy was in trouble .
I have heard the charges aginst Joe off of Swamp People were trumped up because he would'nt pay off .

Edit , I saw the story . Does'nt look good for Will . His Daughter and Son in law may be in trouble may be in trouble too .

Last edited:

Armorer-at-Law

From the linked article in the OP:
The victim in the case had consigned a rare and antique gun collection with Wyatt in 2013. Repeated efforts by the victim to recover several of the weapons had failed, police said in a news release.
Unless there is more to the story (or the story is wrong), this sound like a civil mater, not criminal. If the "victim" voluntarily handed the guns over to Wyatt, then it's not a "theft." It may be a breach of contract, conversion, or some other tort claim for refusing to return either the property or money owed from the consignment sale.

g.willikers

Consignment can be a can of worms without good documentation.
A friend lost some of his guns that were on consignment with another good friend.
The store owner died and his family claimed the guns as prior inventory, rather than consignment goods.
The transaction was initially done with a handshake between pals.

"Unless there is more to the story (or the story is wrong), this sound like a civil mater, not criminal."

Depends, I'd say... if he expropriated them from the shop for his own personal use, then I'd say it would could rise to the level of criminal activity.

jimpeel

If the "victim" voluntarily handed the guns over to Wyatt, then it's not a "theft." It may be a breach of contract, conversion, or some other tort claim for refusing to return either the property or money owed from the consignment sale.

Unlawful conversion of private property to your own use is a criminal act and, depending on the worth of that property, can rise to the level of a felony. It sounds as if the guy consigned the property to Wyatt and it was never returned. That would rise to at a minimum unlawful conversion.

SHR970

Depending on the jurisdiction, conversion of this sort can be "embezzelment".

A person who had possesion of one of my vehicles for body and paint would not produce said vehicle after 10 months. I filed a complaint with the local PD. When they contacted him it was "produce the vehicle or be charged with embezzelment" Ironically he came up with the vehicle minus a lot of what was paid for quckly. This seems to be in the same vein and for that; you can skip civil and go straight to felony criminal matter.

Conversion is the substantial interference with the use and enjoyment of the chattel of another. If the person in question accepted the object to be sold on consignment and then refused to return said object upon demand, it becomes trespass to chattel. When that trespass is so substantial (including damage) that the owner is effectively deprived of it, then it becomes conversion.

gbclarkson

Sons of Guns was borderline unbelievable. The owner - the pedophile (I forget his name right now) and the CEO were always complaining about bottom line and cash flow yet they blew up things like buses, armored cars, and mobile buildings, weekly, during customer demonstrations. Clearly, production money was funding the business and the network was not going to let the shop fail. It was typical unreality reality TV.

Gunsmoke was named for the smoking hot wife and daughter, wasn't it?