GRRR....I need a 1911.

Nightcrawler

My very first pistol was a Charles Daly 4" 1911 that somebody sold me private sale when I was 18 (yes, it's legal).

The gun jammed a lot, even with hardball ammunition. Slide wouldn't go all the way into battery. It was also a pain to take apart. So, I sold it to my friend's brother.

After he owned it, and after there had been a total of less than a thousand rounds through it, the guide rod broke, jamming up the gun something fierce.

Still, I've heard good things about the new Rock Island Armory 1911s, except apparently they won't take GI grip screws. It seems like a decent enough entry 1911, though I'd just as soon get a Colt or a Springfield and have decent sights. I DO like the spur hammer. I'm a bit worried about hammer bite, but it occurs to me that that happens primarily when firing with the thumb on the safety lever.

Well, until I can send the gun to a 'smith and get an ambi safety installed, I can't put my thumb on the lever anyway. Also, I believe somebody sells a beavertail that is compatible with a spur hammer. Can anybody provide any info?