GRRR....I need a 1911.

Nightcrawler

I need a 1911. I thought I could be happy with just one .45, my CZ-97B, which I love dearly. But I need a 1911, too.

*sigh*

I suppose I could sell one of my kidneys or something. Hell, maybe in December I could put together the cash. This month I have a fat school bill to pay, same as next month.

Of course, the first thing I'd do is send it to a smith for an ambi safety installation and a reliability package.

Probably get a Springfield Mil-Spec. I do like spur hammers. I do NOT like forward cocking serrations. I DO like parkerized finishes.

It never ends, does it?

youngun

First hing is to fire a few hundred rounds through it.
If you can get through 1000 rpunds with only 4 or 5 malf, then looks like you're most-way through breaking it in, and I wouldn't waist the - what? - $150? on a reliability package.
I think I've seen great looking milspec's lightly used for less than $400.
Keep your eyes peeled and be ready to pounce!

Nightcrawler

reliability

Well, there's reliable and there's reliable. Reliable is what my CZ-97B is. Works well with most ammo, has a failure to feed only rarely.

A reliable pistol, as I'd turn my 1911 into, works not only with most ammo, but works when dirty, wet, or dragged through the mud. Like an old GI pistol, but with better sights and a safety I, as a lefty, can use.

Normally, these types of guns don't have the match grade accuracy that my CZ-97B has, but that's fine with me.

My dream 1911 would be a full sized, single stack model, with a parkerized finish. Vertical cocking serrations (ala Colt), but no front serrations. High visibility, steel, fixed sights. Spur hammer, ambidextrious safety. The type of semi-extended beavertail that works with spur hammers. stainless steel, chrome lined, threaded barrel. Stainless steel, full length guide rod. Total reliability package, top quality magazines. Walnut grips without checkering.

Yeah, baby. :cool:

krept

My "next purchase" handgun changes every two or three weeks.

My last purchase was about a year and a half ago.

Sure is amusing to spin the wheels from time to time.

kalibear45

Don't buy one!

Its a ploy. The gunmakers invented this piece so consumers will become enticed to it. Its like tobacco! You can't smoke just one!

I think I need a patch, a cleaning patch that is...

:D

Ninj500

GRRR....I need a 1911.

Yes, you do! In fact, you can find a new Springfield Mil-Spec for under $400. I paid $399 (NIB) for mine, I know once tax is added it will be over $400, but work with me a little. It's a great gun, I love it and am thrilled with the purchase.

Gerard

Nightcrawler

Yes, you do! In fact, you can find a new Springfield Mil-Spec for under $400

Here in upper michigan, where prices are higher than elsewhere, they run for $499 at the very cheapest, but that store (Gander Mountain) upped the price to $529. THey're more elsewhere. You've got to remember; up here you'll pay $460 for a Ruger KP90, $589 for a Glock 17, $619 for a Glock 20/21, and $749+ for a Springfield Loaded 1911A1. :(

Ninj500

Wow, and I thought prices are high here in Ohio. I lived in Texas for a couple of years and was spoiled by how cheap guns are there. Well, you could always try Gunbroker.com or Gunsamerica. Even with the added cost of shipping and transfer you might be able to save some money. Good luck!

Kermit

It's truly just a part of the addiction that is firearms collecting. 1st they tell you "every collection has to have at least one 1911." Then "you've gotta have a stainless one", or "gotta have a custom" next thing you know, you're up to your armpits in 1911's :D :D ;) ...not that I'm complaining ;) I'm warning :D

lhkas

why don't you try rock island armory 45's there priced at about $315.00 and sarco claims there great.

liketoshoot

Well, I'm the one who started that thread earlier about cheap .45's. I was thinking about a Rock Island Armory as my first 1911, or the Mauser M2.

Well, I bought a .45, but it was neither one of the above. I was at gun store, and I noticed they were selling the Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-spec for $429. After a little bit of thought, I went ahead a bought it. Yeah, I could have gotten cheaper on Gunsamerica, or waited for a good deal, but I wanted one right now since the store also had a gun range out back. Of course, as soon as the paperwork was done, I bought some Federal ball ammo, and headed to their range. :)

I still haven't handled the RIA to compare with this Springfield Mil-spec, but I was pleased with the SA overall. The 50 rounds went without any problems. I consider it my low-to-middle end 1911, and it would probably serve me well for now. It had black plastic grips, and black or dark gray parkerized finish.

A very no-nonsense, no-frills looking pistol, which is okay with me. Certainly, not as nice as the stainless Kimbers belonging to the man next to me. He told me to dry-fire his home-modified Kimber. 2-1/2 lb. trigger. Wow! And here I thought my 5-1/2 lb. trigger was light.

So, 50 rounds went through the gun reliably, and fairly accurately, considering I never shot a .45 before. More than the 9mm, but not bad at all. It did group low and to the left of my point of aim, though. Maybe it's me. I'm still fairly new to shooting.

The pic posted is not my actual pistol, but it is exactly like my pistol, blue case and grease and all.

One note: those who look down on Filipino guns should be aware that my SA Mil-spec had Brazil stamped on the frame. I don't know if the frame was made there, or the whole pistol.

Attachments

• sa1911mil-spec.jpeg
    sa1911mil-spec.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 123

Snowdog

Yes, everyone should atleast one 1911...

I bought my Kimber Classic 3 or so years ago and sent it to EABCO to have it electroless nickel plated. Turned out lovely.
The results turned out so well that he tells me that it is my Kimber he has pictured on his website and brochure advertising his "French Gray" nickel plating service.
So, she's a semi-celebrity now. :D http://www.eabco.com/cssfg.html

FrGray02.gif

fd32ebc2.jpg

Nevermind the Glock 19, I don't know how he got in the picture... musta muscled his way in or something.

I'd like to point out that out of the thousands of various loads I've put through the Kimber, I've never had a single malfunction of any kind. Personally, I find that very impressive! I believe it is the only I have that deserves that accolade.
The crisp trigger breaks at around 4 pounds like a glass rod (absolutely no creep) and the accuracy is outstanding.

This very pistol made short work of converting me from plastic wondernines to the good 'ol 1911.:D

Last edited:

Baron Holbach

SA's slides and frames

Springfield 1911 pistols' slides and frames are manufactured in Brazil. I emailed SA's sales department and they confirmed this.

Justin

I'll second the vote for a Sistema. From what I've seen/shot, they're nice pistols.

You might also check out the latest issue of S.W.A.T. magazine, there's a review of the new GI-ish style 1911's that are now being put out by Kahr.

Apparently Kahr bought Auto Ordinance, and they are putting some effort into make the AO pistols not suck.

The price on them seems reasonable, at around $450ish.

I'd say give Kahr some time to work out the QC problems at the formerly AO facility, and then take a look at them.

chaim

I live in an area with prices like yours. There are some options that won't break the bank.

I have a Charles Daly. Great gun (just change the mags out). Many people online badmouth them but few of those actually own one (most actual owners rave about them). Very accurate and very reliable with aftermarket mags.

Shortly after mine was made CD improved their guns so current models would be even better. Around here they go for just over $450.

Rock Island Armory is made in the same factory but is more mil spec in style. It seems to have a lot of good buzz online. Around here it runs just around $430.

The SA milspec runs about $550 here. I'd get one but I already have the CD. My next 1911 is probably the SA Loaded (maybe a Dan Wesson).

However, a word of warning is in order. I didn't think I'd be that big a 1911 fan. I got the CD because I figured everyone should own one 1911 (it is a classic), it is unAmerican to be a gun guy and not own one:D, but I didn't want to spend too much because I had doubts about how much I'd like 1911s. However, I absolutely love it (almost as much as my CZs, a higher end 1911 and it may beat out my CZs:eek: ). These things are addictive (at least as much as CZs).

Erik

It's funny how 'I need a" is so often followed by '1911.'

Anyway, yes, you do.

I'd get the SA, and customize as desired over time.

tex_n_cal

C-O-L-T

You would be surprised at just how good the new ones are. My "new rollmark" 1991 stainless is perfect. The grips have been changed as I like the pin covered style, but that's all the gun needed. It didn't even need a trigger job!

Attachments

• sm_stainless_govt.jpg
    sm_stainless_govt.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 33